ASP.NET Web Site Admin tool & Custom Provider

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by GreggTB, Nov 17, 2006.

  1. GreggTB

    GreggTB Guest

    I have written two custom providers for our Oracle 9i database...a
    Membershp provider and a Role provider. I've been testing these over
    the last few days and they seem to be working well. However, when I try
    to use the ASP.NET 2.0 Web Site Administration Tool in VS 2005, I get
    an error when I click on the "Create User" link.

    On the tool's Provider tab, I _have_ selected to use my custom
    providers! Also, I do not seem to have a problem managing existing
    users or creating/managing roles. Nor do I have any problems when I
    programmatically create a new user using the "Membership.CreateUser()"
    method. The error only seems to occur when I try to use the "Create
    User" link via the ASP.NET 2.0 Web Site Administration Tool's Security
    tab.

    The following info is a portion of what's written to the Application
    Event Log:
    /**********************************/
    Exception information:
    Exception type: ConfigurationErrorsException
    Exception message: The connection name 'LocalSqlServer' was not
    found in the applications configuration or the connection string is
    empty.
    (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config
    line 120)
    /**********************************/

    In my application's WEB.CONFIG file, I have removed the default
    connection info for the "LocalSqlServer" connection.

    In the computer's MACHINE.CONFIG file, I do have an entry for the
    "LocalSqlServer" connection, as well as entries for the default
    AspNetSqlMembershipProvider, AspNetSqlProfileProvider and
    AspNetSqlRoleProvider providers. I've tried commenting out all of these
    entries but then I still get an error (although a different one) when I
    try to use the "Create User" link via the ASP.NET 2.0 Web Site
    Administration Tool's Security tab.

    Has anyone else encountered this error and know of a solution? Any
    ideas why this error occurs only via the one link in the ASP.NET 2.0
    Web Site Administration Tool?

    I'd greatly appreciate any assistance with this issue. Thank you!
    GreggTB, Nov 17, 2006