asp.net webpage needs to communicate with db on user computer

Guest

I am aiming to creat an ASP.NET webpage that will communicate with a database on the users computer. the user will go to my site, select his db from his computer and my webapge will run an algorithm on it and save the changes to the db stored on the user computer..

How can I get about to this. I have written classic style ASP.NET pages where the database reside on the IIS server, but this is definetly different. It seems I will run into security issues especially if a user is at work and a firewall is there

Thank yo
Neil

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

You can treat the database as an ordinary file, so you would need the
required permissions to read and write this file. That should get you
started. I'm not sure how you will be able to fire queries at the database
though. Maybe someone else can help here...

Yuancai \(Charlie\) Ye

Hi,
Our SocketPro is able to rescue you. See plenty of samples (C#,
VB6/VB.Net and C++) inside the package of SocketPro to send records in batch
with online compressing for the best performance to anywhere. See the site
http://www.udaparts.com/articles/articles.htm.

--
Yuancai (Charlie) Ye

Fast and securely accessing all of remote data sources anywhere with
SocketPro using batch/queue, asynchrony and parallel computation

See 30 well-tested and real OLEDB examples

RDB, a tool for fast and securely accessing remote databases with dial-up,
cable, DSL and wireless modems anywhere
www.udaparts.com

Neil said:
I am aiming to creat an ASP.NET webpage that will communicate with a
database on the users computer. the user will go to my site, select his db
from his computer and my webapge will run an algorithm on it and save the
changes to the db stored on the user computer...
How can I get about to this. I have written classic style ASP.NET pages
where the database reside on the IIS server, but this is definetly
different. It seems I will run into security issues especially if a user is
at work and a firewall is there.

John Saunders

Neil said:
I am aiming to creat an ASP.NET webpage that will communicate with a
database on the users computer. the user will go to my site, select his db
from his computer and my webapge will run an algorithm on it and save the
changes to the db stored on the user computer...
How can I get about to this. I have written classic style ASP.NET pages
where the database reside on the IIS server, but this is definetly
different. It seems I will run into security issues especially if a user is
at work and a firewall is there.

What kind of database?

Guest

An excel spreadsheet to be exact, but that shoul dmake no difference....I'm thinking about maybe just creating a web service...

John Saunders

Neil said:
An excel spreadsheet to be exact, but that shoul dmake no
difference....I'm thinking about maybe just creating a web service...

It should certainly make a difference! There's a big difference between
using a CSV file as a database and using something like SQL Server!

If you can guarantee that your users will always have your web service or
remoting service running, and if you can guarantee that the ASP.NET server
will be able to reach all of the clients, then sure, put a web service or
remoting service on the client and call it from the server. But if you're
going to maintain some service on each client workstation, maybe you should
be using a rich client instead of ASP.NET.