ASP.net website stored on a NAS

Guest

Hi guys

I've just had the technician @ one of my clients on the phone wondering how
much of the web server stuff we can safely move to their new NAS storage
device.

The site we're running (intranet) is .net 1.1, MSDE database. It's currently
running on a Win2k3 server with IIS6.

My initial thought was that the MSDE can't be moved, because it needs system
resources that Windows 2000 NAS Server won't provide, is this correct? I
think I am safe to move the Instance though?

Also, what about the code itself. Could we move the code directories (bin,
etc) to the NAS and create a Virtual Directory to it on the server's IIS?
Would this run, or do the bins / aspx stuff have to be on the server running
the FrameWork. As far as I know this would work, because the server would
treat the NAS as a shared drive?

The same also applies for the website we;re about to start developing, again
in .net 1.1

Any help / info / articles greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

Guest

Please see below

dhnriverside said:
My initial thought was that the MSDE can't be moved, because it needs system
resources that Windows 2000 NAS Server won't provide, is this correct? I
think I am safe to move the Instance though?

We were able to install MSDE on one of our Maxattach NAS running Win2000
Applicance Server (or something like that). Should work on yours too..
Also, what about the code itself. Could we move the code directories (bin,
etc) to the NAS and create a Virtual Directory to it on the server's IIS?
Would this run, or do the bins / aspx stuff have to be on the server running
the FrameWork. As far as I know this would work, because the server would
treat the NAS as a shared drive?

You have to give Full Trust to you shared drive using the .NET Configuration
control panel. Add a new machine code group with Full Trust permission. Use
URL as your condition and use this format to specify your shared folder:
file://server/folder/*

Jonathan