    Has anyone else been having an issue developing on Windows 7? Did I waste my
    money? Should I move back to XP?

    Paul
    PJ6, Jun 27, 2010

  2. PJ6

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    PJ6 wrote:
    > I spent years and years using Windows XP without *ever* seeing a BSOD. I
    > honestly thought these things were a thing of the past. Now I see one, or
    > have my machine simply lock up hard, nearly every day and it only happens
    > when I have just started an ASP.Net project in debug mode. The recovery tool
    > kicks in on reboot but it always comes up with "no known cause" as the
    > reason for the crash. This worries me because it suggests that MS isn't
    > getting any meaningful feedback on the problem, which in turn means that I
    > may experience this problem indefinitely.
    >
    > Has anyone else been having an issue developing on Windows 7? Did I waste my
    > money? Should I move back to XP?
    >
    > Paul

    I am on Vista, Win 7 is its offspring. I don't have the problems you're
    having in debug mode. If ASP.NET is blowing in debug mode, maybe it's an
    IIS7 issue. Have you looked at the IIS7 logs.

    Also, if the Win 7 page file size is too small, Vista is set to control
    the page file size as needed, it can cause problems with the .NET IDE in
    debug mode with lockup(s). I have not seen a BSOD behind this, but
    anything is possible and those problems were happening on a XP machine
    at work, until Win XP was told to automatically control the page file size.
    Mr. Arnold, Jun 27, 2010

  3. PJ6

    PJ6 Guest

    "Mr. Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > I am on Vista, Win 7 is its offspring. I don't have the problems you're
    > having in debug mode. If ASP.NET is blowing in debug mode, maybe it's an
    > IIS7 issue. Have you looked at the IIS7 logs.
    >
    > Also, if the Win 7 page file size is too small, Vista is set to control
    > the page file size as needed, it can cause problems with the .NET IDE in
    > debug mode with lockup(s). I have not seen a BSOD behind this, but
    > anything is possible and those problems were happening on a XP machine at
    > work, until Win XP was told to automatically control the page file size.

    Page file, huh? The commit charge never gets over 2GB and I have 6. But I'll
    give that a go.

    Thanks,
    Paul
    PJ6, Jun 28, 2010
  4. PJ6

    PJ6 Guest

    I failed to realize that I'm always debugging - the instability was related
    to my graphics card driver :/

    PJ6, Jul 8, 2010