asp.net, windows 7, and a return of the BSOD

PJ6

I spent years and years using Windows XP without *ever* seeing a BSOD. I
honestly thought these things were a thing of the past. Now I see one, or
have my machine simply lock up hard, nearly every day and it only happens
when I have just started an ASP.Net project in debug mode. The recovery tool
kicks in on reboot but it always comes up with "no known cause" as the
reason for the crash. This worries me because it suggests that MS isn't
getting any meaningful feedback on the problem, which in turn means that I
may experience this problem indefinitely.

Has anyone else been having an issue developing on Windows 7? Did I waste my
money? Should I move back to XP?

Paul

Mr. Arnold

PJ6 said:
I spent years and years using Windows XP without *ever* seeing a BSOD. I
honestly thought these things were a thing of the past. Now I see one, or
have my machine simply lock up hard, nearly every day and it only happens
when I have just started an ASP.Net project in debug mode. The recovery tool
kicks in on reboot but it always comes up with "no known cause" as the
reason for the crash. This worries me because it suggests that MS isn't
getting any meaningful feedback on the problem, which in turn means that I
may experience this problem indefinitely.

Has anyone else been having an issue developing on Windows 7? Did I waste my
money? Should I move back to XP?

Paul

I am on Vista, Win 7 is its offspring. I don't have the problems you're
having in debug mode. If ASP.NET is blowing in debug mode, maybe it's an
IIS7 issue. Have you looked at the IIS7 logs.

Also, if the Win 7 page file size is too small, Vista is set to control
the page file size as needed, it can cause problems with the .NET IDE in
debug mode with lockup(s). I have not seen a BSOD behind this, but
anything is possible and those problems were happening on a XP machine
at work, until Win XP was told to automatically control the page file size.

PJ6

Mr. Arnold said:
I am on Vista, Win 7 is its offspring. I don't have the problems you're
having in debug mode. If ASP.NET is blowing in debug mode, maybe it's an
IIS7 issue. Have you looked at the IIS7 logs.

Also, if the Win 7 page file size is too small, Vista is set to control
the page file size as needed, it can cause problems with the .NET IDE in
debug mode with lockup(s). I have not seen a BSOD behind this, but
anything is possible and those problems were happening on a XP machine at
work, until Win XP was told to automatically control the page file size.

Page file, huh? The commit charge never gets over 2GB and I have 6. But I'll
give that a go.

Thanks,
Paul

PJ6

I failed to realize that I'm always debugging - the instability was related
to my graphics card driver :/