ASP.NET with conventional technologies

Mark Goldin

I'd like to build a .NET app. that will be a mixture .NET and conventional
technologies.
Here how I see it.
1. HTML pages are static (predesigned) pages. They use JavaScript to handle
user interface.
The user interface with data (tables, combos) is result of XSLT
transformation.
2. The user submits requests to an ASPX page.
For all business processing (data retrival, data manipulation and so forth)
the aspx page calls a c# code
(could be in an external dll).
3. The html page will get an XML back that is getting transformed into html
on a client site.
I will also need a server site transformation.

Can someone show how that can be done in her Majesty DOTNET?

Thanks

Hermit Dave

Her Majesty's .net says that's you are doing hell lot of extra work for your
needs
here's the reason why:
1. HTML Pages are static.. yes they are static in the sense they don't do
much by themselves
2. You want static pages.. with javascript... (equals a rendered aspx page)
and you don't data to displayed as a result of xsl
transform...(equivalent to a datagrid or a repeater control rendered on html
page- at the end of it you all you will have is a table)
3. You want all the processing to be done by aspx page and then you will
probably want to call
yet another html page (how are you going to pass the data ?)

so let me get it clear... you idea seems do-able but not your have not given
a thought to the overheads you are adding !!!
(stylesheet for every transform you need... transforms for html pages...
considering you want html on client side.. consider an update statement
somewhere or an add
aspx pages to receive the post... )
- my feeling is that you can pull it off... but it will not be fast enough
for you to actually oh wow... look at that...
here's the reason why:
- you will always have data in a database so consider database query
- so you will get a dataset or something equivalent... get the xml
- load a stylesheet and transform to get the static html...
- say you want to post a form to an aspx page...
- you post it.. you read the query string or the forms collection... and you
call the method determined by a your page.. be the parameters passed
- you update and go back to step 1 by generating xml and doing a
transform...
so you are not using many features of .net as such... so why bother with it
.... might as well do it in asp?
(trust me i wouldn't even go near such a design... and considering that you
are new - from your posts earlier.... i would say DON'T)

Hermit Dave

sorry awful.. made lots of mistakes (spell check increased the numbers)...
had to keep going up a few times to add more things
okay the thing is that you will have too many things to look after to do one
thing
rather just stick to aspx....