    may. Comments?

    Thanks,
    Brett

    Brett, Apr 12, 2005

  2. Brett

    Verde Guest

    Check out MSDE at the following link; it's free and basically a "lite"
    version of SQL Server - stored procedures and all.

    http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/default.asp

    -HTH

    Verde, Apr 12, 2005

  3. Brett

    Joseph Byrns Guest

    I don't know about MySQL but if you go to www.webhost4life.com you get MySQL
    and SQL Server for $9.95 per month, plus a load of other stuff, unlimited
    traffic etc..

    Joseph Byrns, Apr 12, 2005
  4. Brett

    Brett Guest

    Wow! That's the best I've ever seen. You use these guys - how do you like
    them?

    How many SQL Server databases do they allow you to create?

    Will they also support the MSDE database?

    I was contemplating MySQL because say if I go with the above site and they
    go out of business six months from now, I'll be stuck with an expensive SQL
    Server setup, since I'll probably have 3 or so databases. Most places are
    around $35/mo for one SQL Server database and charge additional for more.

    Thanks,
    Brett

    Brett, Apr 12, 2005
  5. Brett

    Joseph Byrns Guest

    I've been using them for about two years and they are very good, excellent
    support, they respond very quickly. They also provide a very good control
    panel, to setup databases, emails, ftp etc.. all works well. I think the db
    limit is 300mb and they only allow 2 databases with the $9.95 (but you may
    be able to ask for more).

    As for MSDE, I don't think they provide it. I can't really see any reason
    to use MSDE when SQL Server is available, you can always move an SQL Server
    database to MSDE.

    Hope that helps.

    Joseph Byrns, Apr 12, 2005
  6. Brett

    Brett Guest

    If I have a contengency plan of moving from SQL Server to MSDE or MySQL,
    I'll just need to keep in mind compatibility. In other words, building for
    the lowest common denominator and not making use of proprietary features.

    Brett, Apr 12, 2005
  7. Brett

    HotRod Guest

    I know this is a Microsoft news group by MySQL is great I know tons of
    companies using it, and I mean some serious web services companies. The last
    company I worked at was using an off site MySQL server and doing over a
    million updates a day without any problems. You do need to check the SQL
    Syntax though since it may be a little difference, mostly when doing
    mathematical calculations. MySQL might actually be over powered depending on
    the application you are working with. One nice thing is that MySQL has a lot
    of support and free tools that can be used "MyAdmin" etc.

    HotRod, Apr 12, 2005
  8. Brett

    Brett Guest

    It doesn't do stored procedures right? Does that hender it in anyway?

    Thanks,
    Brett

    Brett, Apr 12, 2005
  9. Brett

    Brett Guest

    Actually, they don't support MSDE. I think it is better to use MySQL as a
    backup since more hosting plans support it. Actually, nearly all of them
    and they are cheap.

    MSDE is probably good for a desktop app. Still researching it. I do need
    something for a desktop database.

    Thanks,
    Brett

    Brett, Apr 12, 2005