ASP.Net with .Net FWK 1.0 over windows 2003

Lucas Campos

Hi,
I have an ASP.Net application that was developed with VS.Net 2002, Net FWK
1.0 and win 2000 platform. Is there any known drawback to execute it over a
Win 2003 server?
Does we have to migrate to Visual Studio .Net 2003 and .Net FWK 1.1 in order
to allow it to work?

Thanks a lot

Lucas C

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Lucas,

You can install the 1.0 Framework on Windows Server 2003. As long as there
aren't any sections of code that will be affected by breaking changes, you
can just run your app under 1.1.

Here's the info on breaking changes for your information:
http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/changeinfo/Backwards1.0to1.1/default.aspx#0000
0173

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
Developer Support
ASP.NET
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------

Lucas Campos

So, if I didn't use any feature involved in a breaking change, I could use
my Web app developed with VS 2002 (Net FWK 1.0) in windows 2003?

Thanks a lot

Lucas C

From: "Lucas Campos" <[email protected]>
Subject: ASP.Net with .Net FWK 1.0 over windows 2003
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:47:56 -0300
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Hi,
I have an ASP.Net application that was developed with VS.Net 2002, Net FWK
1.0 and win 2000 platform. Is there any known drawback to execute it over a
Win 2003 server?
Does we have to migrate to Visual Studio .Net 2003 and .Net FWK 1.1 in order
to allow it to work?

Thanks a lot

Lucas C

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Lucas,

Yes, you can.

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
Developer Support
ASP.NET
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------

From: "Lucas Campos" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:47:56 -0300
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Lucas Campos

I mean without installing Net Framework 1.0 on Win 2003, right?

Thanks a lot

LucasC

Jim Cheshire said:
Lucas,

Yes, you can.

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
Developer Support
ASP.NET
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------

From: "Lucas Campos" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:47:56 -0300
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Joao S Cardoso [MVP]

What Jim told is that you actually can run applications built to be used on 1.0
with 1.1 if that applications does not have code that can be affected by the
changes made from 1.0 to 1.1.

If you whant to be sure not to have any problems (if the app is too large to
identify possible problems) then just install framework 1.0. They work side by
side, meaning that you cane have both on the same system with no major problems.
Just be sure to register asp.net 1.0 filter on IIS. I never tested this so I'm
not completly sure if installing version 1.0 will change this automatically.

Joao Cardoso (MVP dotNET)

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Just installing 1.0 should automatically run the aspnet_regiis -i for that
version, but we all know what "should" means in this business. :)

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
Developer Support
ASP.NET
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
From: "Joao S Cardoso [MVP]" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:30:33 +0000
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

What Jim told is that you actually can run applications built to be used on 1.0
with 1.1 if that applications does not have code that can be affected by the
changes made from 1.0 to 1.1.

If you whant to be sure not to have any problems (if the app is too large to
identify possible problems) then just install framework 1.0. They work side by
side, meaning that you cane have both on the same system with no major problems.
Just be sure to register asp.net 1.0 filter on IIS. I never tested this so I'm
not completly sure if installing version 1.0 will change this automatically.

Joao Cardoso (MVP dotNET)

Lucas Campos

Thanks Jim and Joao.