ASP.NET worker process deadlock symptoms

Guest

Good day everyone
I'm a bit confused about whether the "Server Application Unavailable" status of my website that frequently occurs when several users are simultaneously logged into it is a symptom that the asp.net worker process has restarted or that it is 'stalled' and is about to be restarted

I read from techNet that I can tweak processModel attributes from my machine.config, particularly the attribute responseDeadlockInterval
The default setting for this is 3 mins. The article (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...roddocs/standard/aaconprocessmodelelement.asp
says that I should consider increasing the interval if an ASP.NET application is causing the ASP.NET worker process to restart
My question is, when a user tries to enter my site and encounters the "Server Application Unavailable" page, does that mean that the process is stalled or that it has just restarted? If I wish to avoid the above message from occurring, should I increase the interval for responseDeadlockInterval? But that would mean that users would now have to wait a longer time before they can successfully load the site. And does this guarantee that they will successfully load the page if I set the interval to a long enough time to allow for queued requests to get processed

THANK YOU very much for your insights!

Chris Coffey

I am having a similar issue on a production server:

Window 2000 Server
4 proc
2 GIG RAM
IIS 5.0

the app works for a while and then gets the "Server Application
Unavailable" message (always good to show customers). our app calls
several webservices...i believe we are hitting a deadlock and i am not
sure how to resolve (not getting any application event log entries).
does your app call webservices? (may need to tweak the

<system.net>
<connectionManagement>
<add address="*" maxconnection="20"/> (default is 2)
</connectionManagement>
</system.net>

we tweaked the <processModel> attributes, but not the
"responseDeadlockInterval", b/c i believe it shortens or prolongs the
real problem....we did however increased maxWorkerThreads and saw some
improvement.

i am not sure about the answer to your problem (does that mean that
the process is stalled or that it has just restarted?)...but i have a
call into microsoft and will post the answer when it's available.

chris

Sefi said:
[...]

Hello Chris
Yes we have tweaked settings in our machine.config file per recommendations from Microsoft
we have set our maxWorkerThreads to 100 and maxconnection to about 2. We have tried changing the maxconnection attribute to 12 but we have not seen any improvement. our minFreeThreads is also set to 100
So far our web servers average on 4-6 deadlocks on a daily basis. Most notably during times of heavy usage
We call a webservices on a separate server. This server however also hosts 1 or 2 other webservices used by another application. These webservices occasionally call on a clustered database server to make queries
So far I do not see any attributable condition to our SQL Server database. Or could it have one

----- Chris Coffey wrote: ----

I am having a similar issue on a production server

Window 2000 Serve
4 pro
2 GIG RA
IIS 5.

Sefi said:
[...]
get processed

Chris Coffey

we did a couple of things:

1. updated machine.config based on the recommendations in:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=821268

2. applied a hotfix for: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=834104

3. set up wndbg (win debugger) to create crash dumps...we analyzed
them and found some other site specific bugs that (may have) caused a
deadlock (someone put some bad data in our DB w/o us knowing)....

the amount of deadlocks has gone down significantly, but have not
disappeared completely. we are in the process of tuning our
webservices to return faster. some of the calls were taking upto 90
seconds.....possibly causing a "false" deadlock.

hope this helps...

Guest

Hi! its me again. We are trying to apply the hotfix discussed in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;32594
but cant seem to install it successfully. The message appears as "cannot install .NET framework hotfix

The logical thing I could come up is that the version of my ASP.NET dlls and executable is different from the hotfix version
From the website
Date Time Version Size File Nam
09-Jul-2002 06:46 1.0.3705.294 192,512 Aspnet_isapi.dll
09-Jul-2002 06:46 1.0.3705.294 24,576 Aspnet_regiis.exe
09-Jul-2002 06:46 1.0.3705.294 28,672 Aspnet_wp.exe
09-Jul-2002 19:00 1.0.3705.294 1,187,840 System.web.dll
09-Jul-2002 06:39 19,332 Aspnet_perf.in
21-Mar-2002 04:31 8,709 Smartnav.j
21-Mar-2002 04:31 7,003 Smartnavie5.j

The version of my asp.net files is 1.0.3705.35
Does that mean I will not be able to apply this hotfix to debug the application
Many many thanks.