ASP.Net Worker Process Drops Out Yet Again!

Richard Myers

Hello

Im sure many of you have seen this error message before:

[aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
80004005. This error can be caused when the worker
process account has insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files.
Please ensure that the .NET Framework is correctly
installed and that the ACLs on the installation directory allow access to
the configured account. ]

For us its the third time this year. This error occurs seemingly at random.
I have no idea what causes it too happen. None.
Question 1: Do you?

Secondly what is the procedure to resolve this? I have seen many threads on
the net about this but all responses seem
"pot luck" or "best guess". I have yet to see anyone from Microsoft respond
to any of these threads?

I have uninstalled ASP.Net using regiis;deleted ASP.NET user
account;reinstalled ASP.NET using regiss and the result is zip.
Same problem. I have even gone into the machine.config and given the
processModel user and password "full priviledges",
yes that right Admin rights... and still no resolve.

Question 2: Does anyone have a dead set procedure for resolving this issue?

Surely if i uninstall ASP.Net first of all then it shouldn;t matter what
the error was to begin with? If i can reinstall successfully
then the error should be "fixed"? I realise this is very plain logic but
all the documentation makes this out to be a very simple
fix.... but it never is. It becomes a cost benefit exercise...re-ghost or
dick around for hours trying to resolve it.

Microsoft talk alot about the TOC benefits with respect to their platform,
sometimes i wonder if the TOD is really worth it.
Exceptions like this make the platform seem really brittle. There is a
reason for everything in software. Things just shouldn;t
"drop out" for no particular reason.

There is no problem with plain old vanilla web pages. So Im assuming no
problem with IIS.
Reinstalling ASP.net + user accounts; that should take care of any bung
worker processes etc.
If i give full admin priviledges to ASP.net then there couldn;t be a
priviledges problem?

So what other pieces of the puzzle does that leave?
And why given full priviledges does that damn error message not change?
This is the part that really
annoys me the most. I feel like the error message is leading me on a wild
goose chase. It simply doesn;t
seem relevant.

Thankfully i now have the time to resolve this. As much as i want a fix, i
want the understanding as well.
I want to become an expert in resolving this problem. I want to understand
the causes and effects on every conceivable level.
Thats how much its &%$%* me off.

Where is the info for me too do this..beyond what i already know...How do i
debug this issue?
Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Richard

Guest

Richard,
I know it can turn soemone MAD..Take it easy..
What i can advice you is to DOCUMENT what you have done it makes it easy to
solve such a problem.Lets start from here...What were you trying to do when
you got the ERROR?
Patrick

Richard Myers said:
[...]

Hi Patrick

Thanks for your response.
What were you trying to do when you got the ERROR?

Open an existing ASP.net application first thing in the morning. This app
was being worked on without incident the day/night before..
When that didn't work i tried creating a new ASP.net application. In both
instances i got an "Server Internal 500 error"
Looking in the event logs gave me the error message i posted.

Thanks
Richard

Richard Myers said:
[...]

Hello again,
Actually in order to expedite things i'll list my debugging efforts to
date. Im using Win2k (SP 4) ;VS.net 2003/v1.1 of the framework.

For shorthand purposes i'll use the following key
* -IIS means IIS stop
* +IIS means IIS restart
* ASPUC means ASP.NET user account
* TEST means +IIS & open existing web app via VS.net & try creating new
web app via VS.net & use browser to surf to web app http://localhost/etc
& -IIS
* ERROR means Internal Server 500 & eventlog error msg posted below:
* SYSF = C:\Winnt\Microsoft.Net
Open an existing ASP.net application first thing in the morning. This app
was being worked on without incident the day/night before..
When that didn't work i tried creating a new ASP.net application. In both
instances i got an "Server Internal 500 error"
Looking in the event logs gave me the error message i posted.

O.k so the above occured. Then i :

01. Checked ASP.NET user account - wasn't disabled and had "User" account
rights.
02. Checked SYSF ACL - "User" groups had rights to this folder along with
3-4 other groups;Admins;Backup Ops;Power Users;SYSTEM
03. Gave full rights to all groups;
04. Checked subfolders plus files ACL; same as above and propagated
05 -IIS
06 TEST = ERROR
07. Elevated ASPUC to "Administrators" groups
08. TEST = ERROR
09. Reduced ASPUC to "Users" group plus reduced SYSF ACL to include Evryone
with full rights.
10. TEST = ERROR
11. Left SYSF ACL with Evryone and bumped ASPUC back into Admins
12. TEST = ERROR
13 : aspregiis.exe /lv = yes it was installed
14. Open Machine.Config
15 processModel user = "machine" password ="AutoGenerate"
16 Tried the following with a TEST = ERROR in between/after each
a. processModel user = "MACHINE" password ="AutoGenerate"
b.processModel user = "SYSTEM" password ="AutoGenerate"
c.processModel user = "system" password ="AutoGenerate"
d.processModel user = "machine\user" password ="password" i.e used
local admin account not literally "machine\user" etc
17: Maybe a corruption? so then aspregiiss.exe /ua + aspregiis.exe -i
18 TEST = ERROR
19 Same as 17 but this time with a reboot in between /ua & -i
20 TEST = ERROR
21.Same as 17 but this time with a manual delete of ASPUC after /ua becuase
surprising this was not deleted as well
22. TEST = ERROR
23. Same as 19 plus with 21's manual delete.
24. TEST = ERROR
25. Alone at the time so punched 19i LCD and called it a &*&T*& (*^&*^&^
plus claimed Microsoft sucked and that they
&^*&^& d%$$#%.
26. TEST = ERROR
27. Complained to newsgroups that entire .NET platform is complete trash
because of this one tiny issue affecting only me;
28. And here we are and still ....
29 TEST = ERROR

Richard

Scott Allen

I have a client who this happens to every 3 months.

I had to setup the ASP.NET worker process to run under a domain
account (by modifying web.config).

I told them the password for this service account cannot change, or
the application will break unless the password is also changed in the
process model section of machine.config.

They force the account password to expire every 90 days. Since a
server doesn't change it's own password, the domain controller locks
the account out. This is one of the error messages they see. (the
other one is a more explicit "password does not match what is in the
process model" message. Do you see that one too? Or just the one
below?

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

[...]

Thx Scott..for the detailed explanation to Richard.
Patrick

Scott Allen said:
[...]

Hi Richard:

Sorry, I should back up one step.

I had to setup the worker process to run under a domain account
because this client has a pretty screwed up nework and the software
needed to run under a domain account for various reasons - it wasn't
related to the worker process dropping out.

Like I said though - every so often something on thier network decides
the password needs changed - so I'm very familiar with at least one
cause of the errors you are seeing :). This could happen with a local
account too.

I know you said the security log is empty, but it auditing enabled?
Might give you a clue.

http://www.pluralsight.com/keith/book/html/howto_enableauditing.html

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

Gidday Scott
Thanks for the ideas. Your right i do receive two error message, i should
have included the other right off the bat;

[aspnet_wp.exe could not be launched because the username and/or password
supplied in the processModel section of the config file are invalid. ]

This is what led me to "tamper" with the processModel settings above in
points 16 above.
I have a client who this happens to every 3 months.
I had to setup the ASP.NET worker process to run under a domain
account (by modifying web.config).

Did you do this "because" their worker process drops out every 3 months or
does it drop out
every 3 months because you have set up a specific domain account for it?
From below the latter?
I told them the password for this service account cannot change, or
the application will break unless the password is also changed in the
process model section of machine.config.

They force the account password to expire every 90 days. Since a
server doesn't change it's own password, the domain controller locks
the account out. This is one of the error messages they see. (the
other one is a more explicit "password does not match what is in the
process model" message. Do you see that one too? Or just the one
below?

Those are good points and questions; unfortunately that doesn;t describe my
scenario.
The original ASP.Net user account did not have a domain account
specifically set up for it other than the one installed by
VS.net. i.e I haven;t changed the default settings.

When i looked at the ASP.NET account above in step 1 for priviledges, i
also looked for other settings like this that
may have affected it. This account password doesn't expire and hadn't been
locked out. I do understand what you mean though,
(i think), the password expires, the worker tries accessing the server with
the account; it uses an invalid password x number
of times and then is automatically locked out by ....AD.. or IIS? Just like
a rogue user trying to access someone elses account.

There wasn't anything in security audit event log either which i would
assume would also have had an entry had this had been the case.

Richard

Scott Allen

No problem. Just wanted someone to benefit from my pain... :)

--

Scott Allen said:
[...]

Hi Scott
I know you said the security log is empty, but it auditing enabled?

Yes totally. It did have other entries in there i.e me big fingering the
keyboard and typing in the wrong password.
But nothing about this... in fact they were all related to me big fingering
the keyboard. ;0

Richard

Richard Myers

Cheers for the link too.This

didn;t tell me anything i didn't already know but there are a few chapters
worth reading in the more general Url

http://pluralsight.com/wiki/default.aspx/Keith.GuideBook.HomePage

At this point i should also say i have all the new virus definitions ( not
that i belive this is virus related) and have completed a full scan.
TEST = ERROR.
Performed a complete defrag + drive cleanup
TEST = ERROR

I know these are typical signs of someone getting desparate but at least i
can rule these things out as probable factors.

Richard

Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

Gidday Scott
Thanks for the ideas. Your right i do receive two error message, i should
have included the other right off the bat;

[aspnet_wp.exe could not be launched because the username and/or password
supplied in the processModel section of the config file are invalid. ]

This is what led me to "tamper" with the processModel settings above in
points 16 above.
I have a client who this happens to every 3 months.
I had to setup the ASP.NET worker process to run under a domain
account (by modifying web.config).

Did you do this "because" their worker process drops out every 3 months or
does it drop out
every 3 months because you have set up a specific domain account for it?
From below the latter?
[...]

Yes, that wiki is a great resource (and available in print, too).

Not sure what other ideas I can pass along at this time. Perhaps some
of the utilties from sysinternals.com could help (like FileMon and
RegMon). At least you could see exactly what is being accessed and by
whom.

--
[...]

From below the latter?

[...]

O.k i look into those. Thanks all the same.

Richard

Scott Allen said:
[...]

From below the latter?