ASP.NET WorkFlow/Pipeline Component like Commerce Server ?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Microsoft, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. Microsoft

    Microsoft Guest

    Hi All.

    We currently use the Microsoft Commerce Server pipeline component to run the
    workflow for our application, however this is very limited when it comes to
    ASP.NET and has no programmable interface so that we can make a web
    interface to changing the workflow. With the pipeline editor you can add
    components and vb script files and then execute the component, I think this
    uses iDispatch so that an object is passed to the pipeline and then all
    components can then access the object and modify/read its properties.

    Surely this can be re-written in ASP.NET and was wondering if anyone could
    point me to the right areas, basically we need the ability to add .NET
    objects to a pipeline and the ability for this to run vbscript files (how
    does it manage to do this ??? does it spawn the windows script host) and
    then we need the ability to edit the configuration via a web based
    front-end, so if anyone can advise then please mail me or reply to this
    thread.

    We would need the ability to attach strong name components as within
    Commerce Server you have to attach a COM object which is ok but we have
    clients running different versions of the same component.

    Thanks
    Paul

    Microsoft, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Microsoft

    Max Akbar Guest

    The management of the Pipeline is done through COM load pipeconfig.dll and
    executed through pipeline.dll. In order for you to do what you want to have
    to interop. Of course you are not going to get any support and I would
    recommend against it.

    Why can't you create a .NET pipeline components that does your work flow for
    you?

    Good luck,
    -Max

    Max Akbar, Feb 5, 2004