ASP.NET works on one site but not another on same iis machine

Tim Wood

I'm having trouble with setup of an asp.net application on Windows 2003.
When I attempt to start the app I get "Server Error in '/MyApp' application.
The message also says that error details cannot be displayed because
customErrors is set to remoteOnly in web.config. Right now the application
consists of a single page that displays the current date and time --
test.aspx. I can browse plain html files in the same directory without any
problems. The virtual directory is defined properly.

I changed web.config so that customerrors now says "Off". The error message
still say the same thing -- it hasn't detected the change to web.config! I
checked for other web.config files in the site root and there are none. If
I run test.aspx in the site root I get the same error and same message
saying that customerrors=remoteonly - even though the site root doesn't have
a web.config.

I can usually find an error message in the event log if ASP.NET won't run,
but I didn't see any entries where the source was ASP.NET.

The site is a second web site on the web server. The first site is the
default site. When I run test.aspx in the default site it runs. So ASP.NET
is basically sound on the machine. I compared the properties of the 2 sites
in IIS manager, and saw no significant differences. Both sites run in the
same application pool, so they are using the same process identity.

I tried granting permissions explicitly to NETWORK SERVICE on my
application's directory (Modify, Read/Execute,List Folder Contents, Read,
Write) and it made no difference.

Has anyone seen anything like this? I'm especially puzzled that I can't get
an error message, and that the changes to web.config aren't being detected.