asp.net?

Paulo

Hi, I see a lot of cool sites and frameworks for fast development on web.
But it uses asp.net like the beautiful: http://www.coolite.com/

Do you know any good to classic asp?

I tried converting my web apps to asp.net, but it's hard and will take much
time... or maybe in future windows versions classic asp will end?

Gregory A. Beamer

Hi, I see a lot of cool sites and frameworks for fast development on
web. But it uses asp.net like the beautiful: http://www.coolite.com/

Do you know any good to classic asp?

I tried converting my web apps to asp.net, but it's hard and will take
much time... or maybe in future windows versions classic asp will end?

ASP is eventually going to go away, so I doubt you will find too many
frameworks built around it.

Bob Barrows

Gregory said:
ASP is eventually going to go away, so I doubt you will find too many
frameworks built around it.

While I cannot find fault with your second point, your first contradicts
quite a bit of what I've read in the past year or so. Is there new
information you could point me at?

Gregory A. Beamer

While I cannot find fault with your second point, your first
contradicts quite a bit of what I've read in the past year or so. Is
there new information you could point me at?

I don't have anything new Bob, but as more and more investment gets put
into .NET, it is going to be harder to make a case for sticking with
classic ASP and classic VB, so attrition will eventually kill it even if
Microsoft does not.

The forums will likely exist for quite some time, as people will not
give up the older style for years if not a decade or more. But
supporting through NNTP and giving support through updates are two
different things.

We are now two + generations (depending on whether you consider a
genration the base or the version number) of .NET away from active
development on ASP, with another generation coming later on this year or
early next year (.NET 4.0). We have seen the birth of Silverlight, as
well, which allows fairly complex interactive, and visually pleasing,
bits without a lot of work (even less with VS 2010).

Taking all the change in, what company is going to start new development
in a technology that has had no active development in 9 years?
Eventually, the old apps will be redeveloped or come to end of
lifecycle. At that point, ASP will effectively, if not officially, be a
dead "language", just like Latin. It will not stop people from learning
or even developing in it, but it will not be the chosen one for most
people.

That is all I meant when I stated "ASP is eventually going to go away".

Gregory A. Beamer

While I cannot find fault with your second point, your first
contradicts quite a bit of what I've read in the past year or so. Is
there new information you could point me at?

One more thing to consider, in the death of ASP, is this forum currently
has 20 threads for July. In its hey day, you would see 100s per hour, in
some cases. The need for support is slowly dying as new development, for
the most part, is not being done in ASP.

The support will eventually "die out" as well, as us "dinosaurs" who
coded classic ASP retire. ;-)

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Roberto Franceschetti
But the lesson is learned, and when the time comes
to migrate our .asp sites, we surely won't upgrade to .NET, but rather
to .PHP.

Been there, doing that. Although, I must say there are a few things I
really like about ASP Classic, and that's probably why I've migrated to
PHP. One thing I don't like about asp.net is the inability to write really
clean code. I can do that with ASP Classic, and I can do it with PHP.

Dooza

Gregory said:
One more thing to consider, in the death of ASP, is this forum currently
has 20 threads for July. In its hey day, you would see 100s per hour, in
some cases. The need for support is slowly dying as new development, for
the most part, is not being done in ASP.

Haven't most NNTP groups got quieter over the last few years as web
based forums have got better and much more popular?

Dooza

Gregory A. Beamer

Haven't most NNTP groups got quieter over the last few years as web
based forums have got better and much more popular?

Yes, but there is still quite a bit of traffic.