    Do you know any good to classic asp?

    I tried converting my web apps to asp.net, but it's hard and will take much
    time... or maybe in future windows versions classic asp will end?
    Paulo, Jul 14, 2009

  2. "Paulo" <> wrote in
    news:O9Tp#:

    > Hi, I see a lot of cool sites and frameworks for fast development on
    > web. But it uses asp.net like the beautiful: http://www.coolite.com/
    >
    > Do you know any good to classic asp?
    >
    > I tried converting my web apps to asp.net, but it's hard and will take
    > much time... or maybe in future windows versions classic asp will end?

    ASP is eventually going to go away, so I doubt you will find too many
    frameworks built around it.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Twitter: @gbworld

    | Think outside the box! |
    Gregory A. Beamer, Jul 16, 2009

  3. Paulo

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Gregory A. Beamer wrote:
    > "Paulo" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Hi, I see a lot of cool sites and frameworks for fast development on
    >> web. But it uses asp.net like the beautiful: http://www.coolite.com/
    >>
    >> Do you know any good to classic asp?
    >>
    >> I tried converting my web apps to asp.net, but it's hard and will
    >> take much time... or maybe in future windows versions classic asp
    >> will end?

    > ASP is eventually going to go away, so I doubt you will find too many
    > frameworks built around it.

    While I cannot find fault with your second point, your first contradicts
    quite a bit of what I've read in the past year or so. Is there new
    information you could point me at?

    --
    HTH,
    Bob Barrows
    Bob Barrows, Jul 16, 2009
  4. "Bob Barrows" <> wrote in

    >> ASP is eventually going to go away, so I doubt you will find too many
    >> frameworks built around it.
    >>

    > While I cannot find fault with your second point, your first
    > contradicts quite a bit of what I've read in the past year or so. Is
    > there new information you could point me at?

    I don't have anything new Bob, but as more and more investment gets put
    into .NET, it is going to be harder to make a case for sticking with
    classic ASP and classic VB, so attrition will eventually kill it even if
    Microsoft does not.

    The forums will likely exist for quite some time, as people will not
    give up the older style for years if not a decade or more. But
    supporting through NNTP and giving support through updates are two
    different things.

    We are now two + generations (depending on whether you consider a
    genration the base or the version number) of .NET away from active
    development on ASP, with another generation coming later on this year or
    early next year (.NET 4.0). We have seen the birth of Silverlight, as
    well, which allows fairly complex interactive, and visually pleasing,
    bits without a lot of work (even less with VS 2010).

    Taking all the change in, what company is going to start new development
    in a technology that has had no active development in 9 years?
    Eventually, the old apps will be redeveloped or come to end of
    lifecycle. At that point, ASP will effectively, if not officially, be a
    dead "language", just like Latin. It will not stop people from learning
    or even developing in it, but it will not be the chosen one for most
    people.

    That is all I meant when I stated "ASP is eventually going to go away".

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Twitter: @gbworld

    | Think outside the box! |
    Gregory A. Beamer, Jul 20, 2009
  5. "Bob Barrows" <> wrote in

    > Gregory A. Beamer wrote:
    >> "Paulo" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Hi, I see a lot of cool sites and frameworks for fast development on
    >>> web. But it uses asp.net like the beautiful:
    >>> http://www.coolite.com/
    >>>
    >>> Do you know any good to classic asp?
    >>>
    >>> I tried converting my web apps to asp.net, but it's hard and will
    >>> take much time... or maybe in future windows versions classic asp
    >>> will end?

    >> ASP is eventually going to go away, so I doubt you will find too many
    >> frameworks built around it.
    >>

    > While I cannot find fault with your second point, your first
    > contradicts quite a bit of what I've read in the past year or so. Is
    > there new information you could point me at?

    One more thing to consider, in the death of ASP, is this forum currently
    has 20 threads for July. In its hey day, you would see 100s per hour, in
    some cases. The need for support is slowly dying as new development, for
    the most part, is not being done in ASP.

    The support will eventually "die out" as well, as us "dinosaurs" who
    coded classic ASP retire. ;-)

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Twitter: @gbworld

    | Think outside the box! |
    Gregory A. Beamer, Jul 20, 2009
  6. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Roberto Franceschetti
    <> writing in news:4a650d52$0$5079
    $:

    > But the lesson is learned, and when the time comes
    > to migrate our .asp sites, we surely won't upgrade to .NET, but rather
    > to .PHP.

    Been there, doing that. Although, I must say there are a few things I
    really like about ASP Classic, and that's probably why I've migrated to
    PHP. One thing I don't like about asp.net is the inability to write really
    clean code. I can do that with ASP Classic, and I can do it with PHP.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Jul 21, 2009
  7. Paulo

    Dooza Guest

    Gregory A. Beamer wrote:
    > "Bob Barrows" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Gregory A. Beamer wrote:
    >>> "Paulo" <> wrote in

    >>> ASP is eventually going to go away, so I doubt you will find too many
    >>> frameworks built around it.
    >>>

    >> While I cannot find fault with your second point, your first
    >> contradicts quite a bit of what I've read in the past year or so. Is
    >> there new information you could point me at?
    >>

    > One more thing to consider, in the death of ASP, is this forum currently
    > has 20 threads for July. In its hey day, you would see 100s per hour, in
    > some cases. The need for support is slowly dying as new development, for
    > the most part, is not being done in ASP.

    Haven't most NNTP groups got quieter over the last few years as web
    based forums have got better and much more popular?

    Dooza
    Dooza, Jul 23, 2009
  8. Dooza <> wrote in news:#cZ5A73CKHA.3724
    @TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:

    > Haven't most NNTP groups got quieter over the last few years as web
    > based forums have got better and much more popular?

    Yes, but there is still quite a bit of traffic.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Twitter: @gbworld