    machine by entering http://localhost/foo.htm but this obviously won't work
    off the local intranet.

    Thanks
    sputnik, Jul 6, 2003

  2. sputnik

    spaghetti Guest

    "sputnik" <> wrote in message
    news:AeKNa.45921$...
    > I just started picking up ASP yesterday and have for the first time set up
    > IIS on my Win2k machine. So can I host to the web from my home machine

    using
    > IIS? I can find my default site via the browser on my other networked
    > machine by entering http://localhost/foo.htm but this obviously won't work
    > off the local intranet.

    You can host a website on your own machine, but you'll have to make sure you
    have high-speed broadband internet access, with a static IP address. You'll
    have to share your bandwidth with all the incoming connections... and if
    alot of people try to see your site, you might not be able to handle it. And
    if you use any server-side logic (ASP pages!) then you need a computer fast
    enough to handle all the processing of multiple connections. Don't plan on
    playing the newest Quake while 100 users search through your online
    database. You'll also open yourself to hackers, so you'll need to be savvy
    with firewalls etc. to protect yourself.

    If you think you have enough hardware and bandwidth to do it, you can
    purchase a domain or get a redirect setup to point to your IP address, and
    when users type it in it will take them to your site.

    It can be very hectic, and why bother when you can get great .NET hosting
    for like five US dollars a month? Check out http://hostpulse.com/.
    spaghetti, Jul 6, 2003

  3. sputnik

    Richard Guest

    "sputnik" <> wrote in message
    > I just started picking up ASP yesterday and have for the first time set up
    > IIS on my Win2k machine. So can I host to the web from my home machine

    using
    > IIS? I can find my default site via the browser on my other networked
    > machine by entering http://localhost/foo.htm but this obviously won't work
    > off the local intranet.
    >
    > Thanks

    Check with road runner first and see if they will allow you to do so. Many
    ISP's will not since it clogs up the resources.
    Even with a dedicated IP, you still might want to check into an offsite DNS
    service such as dynu.com.
    That way, if road runner changes your IP wihtout your knowledge, it won't
    matter.
    A quick correction will put you back in business.
    Now that in home machines are becoming more server like oriented, people
    want to do this all the time to avoid paying for the proper connections
    needed to keep visitors coming back.
    Slow loading pages don't cut it.
    That's one of the reasons for having at least a T1 connection.
    Which is also online 24x7 which is a requirement of ICANN if you want to
    host via a domain name.

    Oh and if you have a domain name, you will be required to have two name
    servers.
    What's the other name server gonna be?
    Richard, Jul 6, 2003
  4. sputnik

    sputnik Guest

    "spaghetti" <> wrote in message

    > "sputnik" <> wrote in message
    > > I just started picking up ASP yesterday and have for the first time set

    up
    > > IIS on my Win2k machine. So can I host to the web from my home machine

    > using
    > > IIS? I can find my default site via the browser on my other networked
    > > machine by entering http://localhost/foo.htm but this obviously won't

    work
    > > off the local intranet.

    > You can host a website on your own machine, but you'll have to make sure

    you
    > have high-speed broadband internet access, with a static IP address.

    You'll
    > have to share your bandwidth with all the incoming connections... and if
    > alot of people try to see your site, you might not be able to handle it.

    And
    > if you use any server-side logic (ASP pages!) then you need a computer

    fast
    > enough to handle all the processing of multiple connections. Don't plan on
    > playing the newest Quake while 100 users search through your online
    > database. You'll also open yourself to hackers, so you'll need to be savvy
    > with firewalls etc. to protect yourself.
    >
    > If you think you have enough hardware and bandwidth to do it, you can
    > purchase a domain or get a redirect setup to point to your IP address, and
    > when users type it in it will take them to your site.
    >
    > It can be very hectic, and why bother when you can get great .NET hosting
    > for like five US dollars a month? Check out http://hostpulse.com/.

    That is very true and I'd much rather have someone else deal with all of the
    logistics and bandwidth and such. I really was thinking of more of a
    limited-use area for streaming media and such things. But knowing that it is
    possible to do so is what I was after.

    Thanks
    sputnik, Jul 6, 2003
  5. On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 20:50:08 -0500, Richard wrote:

    > That's one of the reasons for having at least a T1 connection.

    What bull!

    For a personal website, an ADSL connection is more than enough. I host
    goddamn.co.uk on my home ADSL connection and so far this month (bearing in
    mind that it's the 6th today!) I have had over 15000 hits (about 11,500
    page impressions, the rest being for graphics, style sheets, etc) and
    served up over 100 MB of content.

    Yes, this is just a standard home ADSL connection, not a business one. And
    I rarely exceed my allocated bandwidth.

    It uses lots of dynamic pages -- mainly PHP backed by PostgreSQL, although
    some CGI/Perl, some MySQL.

    Whatsmore, the same box functions as my primary desktop machine.

    Oh, and it's only a 400MHz Pentium Celery.

    I think a lot of people over-estimate the power needed by a web server.

    playing://(nothing)
    Toby A Inkster, Jul 6, 2003
  6. Toby A Inkster wrote:
    > On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 20:50:08 -0500, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> That's one of the reasons for having at least a T1 connection.

    > What bull!
    >
    > For a personal website, an ADSL connection is more than enough. I host
    > goddamn.co.uk on my home ADSL connection ...
    >
    > Yes, this is just a standard home ADSL connection, not a business
    > one. And I rarely exceed my allocated bandwidth....

    Which ISP? Many exclude public sites in their AUP/TOS docs.

    --
    William Tasso - http://www.WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Jul 6, 2003
  7. On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 10:16:52 +0100, William Tasso wrote:

    > Which ISP? Many exclude public sites in their AUP/TOS docs.

    Mine doesn't.

    http://www.aaisp.net.uk/

    From their FAQ:

    "Can I run servers, web, email, etc?

    Yes, no problem. Your service includes one or more real public fixed IP
    addresses which can be access from the outside world. Make sure you have
    the latest security patches on any services you run."

    and:

    "How many IP addresses can I have?

    As many as you need. There is no pre-set limit. It will take longer if you
    want more than 128 addresses, but if you have the PCs and you have at
    least considered address translation instead, then you can have the IP
    addresses for the machines you have or plan to have within 2 years."

    They are a very good ISP and I strongly recommend them. They have
    good services and intelligent support staff (one of the few ISPs to
    officially support Linux), although they don't do hand holding -- they
    expect you to know your stuff.

    playing://(nothing)
    Toby A Inkster, Jul 6, 2003
  8. sputnik

    blib Guest

    > > Which ISP? Many exclude public sites in their AUP/TOS docs.

    > Mine doesn't.
    >
    > http://www.aaisp.net.uk/
    >
    > From their FAQ:
    >
    > "Can I run servers, web, email, etc?
    >
    > Yes, no problem. Your service includes one or more real public fixed IP
    > addresses which can be access from the outside world. Make sure you have
    > the latest security patches on any services you run."
    >
    > and:
    >
    > "How many IP addresses can I have?
    >
    > As many as you need. There is no pre-set limit. It will take longer if you
    > want more than 128 addresses, but if you have the PCs and you have at
    > least considered address translation instead, then you can have the IP
    > addresses for the machines you have or plan to have within 2 years."
    >
    > They are a very good ISP and I strongly recommend them. They have
    > good services and intelligent support staff (one of the few ISPs to
    > officially support Linux), although they don't do hand holding -- they
    > expect you to know your stuff.

    Agreed, their support is second to none, you actually speak to someone who
    has a clue.
    blib, Jul 6, 2003
  9. In article <AeKNa.45921$>,
    says...
    > I just started picking up ASP yesterday and have for the first time set up
    > IIS on my Win2k machine. So can I host to the web from my home machine using
    > IIS? I can find my default site via the browser on my other networked
    > machine by entering http://localhost/foo.htm but this obviously won't work
    > off the local intranet.

    This used to be a brilliant site, but it seems to have lost its way a
    bit recently. Still lots of good info if you dig around, though:

    http://www.diywebserver.com/index.php
    Jacqui or (maybe) Pete, Jul 6, 2003
  10. sputnik

    Augustus Guest

    "sputnik" <> wrote in message
    > I just started picking up ASP yesterday and have for the first time set up
    > IIS on my Win2k machine. So can I host to the web from my home machine

    using
    > IIS? I can find my default site via the browser on my other networked
    > machine by entering http://localhost/foo.htm but this obviously won't work
    > off the local intranet.

    You might want to check out www.iisfaq.com for more information on hosting
    and setting up IIS