ASP newbie in over his head

sputnik

I took on a Web site update project and one of the requirements is that I
update the prices in the ASP shopping cart. Problem is, I have no idea where
the price variables are to change them. I can't find them in any of the ASP
pages code so my best guess is that they are stored in a database somewhere
on the server. The "add to cart" links are in this format
"www.foo.com/Add.asp?id=9. I'm looking for the id variables to change their
values to reflect the new changes. Any suggestions on where I should be
looking?

Thanks

Adrienne

I took on a Web site update project and one of the requirements is that
I update the prices in the ASP shopping cart. Problem is, I have no
idea where the price variables are to change them. I can't find them in
any of the ASP pages code so my best guess is that they are stored in a
database somewhere on the server. The "add to cart" links are in this
format "www.foo.com/Add.asp?id=9. I'm looking for the id variables to
change their values to reflect the new changes. Any suggestions on
where I should be looking?

Id is the id number of the item to add to the cart. The items on the page
sending the request to add.asp is probably looping through a recordset.
The code that is looping through the recordset should show the name of the
table.

sputnik

Andy Dingley said:
Wherever unemployed ASP coders are found locally. It's crazy to have
you hack your way through this when the market is flooded with good
people and few jobs for them.

Well the job is 95% design and two changes to the ASP shopping cart, so
that's worth what, 20 bucks? I doubt there'd be any takers.

William Tasso

sputnik said:
I took on a Web site update project and one of the requirements is
that I update the prices in the ASP shopping cart. Problem is, I have
no idea where the price variables are to change them. I can't find
them in any of the ASP pages code so my best guess is that they are
stored in a database somewhere on the server. The "add to cart" links
are in this format "www.foo.com/Add.asp?id=9. I'm looking for the id
variables to change their values to reflect the new changes. Any
suggestions on where I should be looking?

You are looking for a 'connection'. The definition may be in a script file
that is included with ssi into every/most page(s) or it may be in
global.asa.

Once you have found the connection and its definition you will know what
type of data store you have and its location.

BUT

online databases are usually delivered with a user admin suite to fulfull
this very purpose. check first that you're not re-inventing a wheel.

in any event, good luck