ASP Newbie question

Manoj

Good Afternoon,

I have a a bit of a problem understanding the root of this problem (apart
fromthe fact that I'm very new to this).

I'm trying to learn ASP at the very basic level to start. I'm doing this
from the IIS server documentation. There are a few ASP tutorials and I'm
trying to follow them through.

I'm on the introductory tutorial that teaches how to put information into an
Access database that resides in the webserver folder (in my case,
"C:\inetpub\wwwroot\LearningASP".

The name of the database file is Guestbook.mdb.

The only difference is that I had already created a subweb named
"LearningASP" and the tutorial asks to create a subweb called "Tutorial".

This is the code from the actual Tutorial File which I n:

<%@ Language=VBScript %>

<head>
<title>Guest Book Using Connection Object Only</title>
</head>
<h2>Guest Book Using Connection Object Only</h2>

<%
If Not Request.QueryString("Message") = "True" Then
'No information has been input yet, so provide the form.
%>
<FORM NAME="GuestBook1" METHOD="GET" ACTION="guestbook1.asp">
NAME="EmailAdd"></td>
NAME="Subject"></td>
Message: <br><TEXTAREA NAME="Memo" ROWS=6 COLS=70></TEXTAREA>

<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="Message" VALUE="TRUE">
<INPUT TYPE="SUBMIT" VALUE="Submit Information">
</FORM>
<%
Else
'The HIDDEN button above sets the Message variable to True.
'We know now that the form data has been entered.

'Get the data from the form. We will be inserting it into the database.
'Access doesn't like some characters, such as single-quotes, so encode the
' data using the HTMLEncode method of the ASP Server object.
dim strTB1, strTB2, strTB3, strTB4, strMB1, strCommand
strTB1 = Server.HTMLEncode(Request.QueryString("From"))
strTB2 = Server.HTMLEncode(Request.QueryString("EmailAdd"))
strTB3 = Server.HTMLEncode(Request.QueryString("CC"))
strTB4 = Server.HTMLEncode(Request.QueryString("Subject"))
strMB1 = Server.HTMLEncode(Request.QueryString("Memo"))

'This is a connection string. ADO uses it to connect to a database
through the Access driver.
'It needs the provider name of the Access driver and the name of the
Access database.
'Connection strings are slightly different, depending on the provided
being used,
' but they all use semicolons to separate variables.
'If this line causes and error, search in your registry for
'Microsoft.JET to see if 4.0 is your version.
strProvider = "Provider=Microsoft.JET.OLEDB.4.0;Data
Source=C:\InetPub\Wwwroot\LearningASP\guestbook.mdb;"

'This creates an instance of an ADO Connection object.
'There are 4 other ADO objects available to you, each with different
methods and
'properties that allow you to do almost anything with database data.
Set objConn = server.createobject("ADODB.Connection")

'The Open method of the Connection object uses the connection string to
' create a connection to the database.
objConn.Open strProvider

'Define the query.
'There are many types of queries, allowing you to add, remove, or get data.
'This query will add your data into the database, using the INSERT INTO
key words.
'Here, Guestbook is the name of the table.
'You need single-quotes around strings here.
strCommand = "INSERT INTO Guestbook (FTB1,FTB2,FTB3,FTB4,FMB1) VALUES ('"
strCommand = strCommand & strTB1 & "','" & strTB2 & "','" & strTB3 & "','"
& strTB4 & "','" & strMB1
strCommand = StrCommand & "')"

'Execute the query to add the data into the database.
objConn.Execute strCommand

Response.Write("Thank you! Your data has been added.")

End if
%>

I copied and pasted it into a blank document after running into problems
when I manually entered the code for the first file, "Guestbook1.asp". Here
is the code from "Guestbook1.asp":

<%@ Language=VBScript %>

<head>
<title>Guest Book Using Connection Object Only</title>
</head>
<h2>Guest Book Using Connection Object Only</h2>

<%
If Not Request.QueryString("Message") = "True" Then
'No information has been input yet, so provide the form.
%>
<FORM NAME="GuestBook1" METHOD="GET" ACTION="guestbook1.asp">

NAME="From"></td>

TYPE="TEXT" NAME="EmailAdd"></td>

NAME="CC"><td>

[...]

Like I said I first manually typed up Guestbook1.asp and for some reason,
the page would appear in IE, but after entering the fields, it wouldn't
upload the data to the Access file.

Opened another blank file and just copied and pasted the tutorial code into
it and named it Guestboo11.asp and changed the references to match the file
name as well as the location of the database and this one worled perfectly
fine!

I'm trying to understand where I went wrong. I tried to do a side-by-side
comparison without any luck.

Any advise or information for a poor sod trying to learning this stuff?

Thanks!

Manoj

Roland Hall

in message

:
[...]
: <body>
: <font face="arial">
: <h2>Guest Book Using Connection Object Only</h2>
:
: <%
: If Not Request.QueryString("Message") = "True" Then
: 'No information has been input yet, so provide the form.
: %>
: <p>
: <FORM NAME="GuestBook1" METHOD="GET" ACTION="guestbook1.asp">
: <table>
: <tr>
: </tr><tr>
: NAME="EmailAdd"></td>
: </tr><tr>
: </tr><tr>
: NAME="Subject"></td>
: </tr>
: </table>
: Message: <br><TEXTAREA NAME="Memo" ROWS=6 COLS=70></TEXTAREA>
: </p>
:
: <p>
[...]
: </body>
: </html>
:
[...]

It helps when you provide the error you receive rather than asking us to
peruse your code to find an error which may be a single character.

ASP errors generally give you the line number in the source document where
the error occurred. When posting to a database, it's a good idea to write
your SQL statement to the page so it is easier to check for typos (errors).

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

CJM

Roland Hall said:
in message

[snip]

: Any advise or information for a poor sod trying to learning this stuff?

It helps when you provide the error you receive rather than asking us to
peruse your code to find an error which may be a single character.

ASP errors generally give you the line number in the source document where
the error occurred. When posting to a database, it's a good idea to write
your SQL statement to the page so it is easier to check for typos
(errors).

I'm not being funny Roland, but couldn't you have snipped his post a bit..
or top-posted..? :)

Roland Hall

in message :
: : > "Manoj" wrote in message
: > :
: [snip]
:
:
: I'm not being funny Roland, but couldn't you have snipped his post a bit..
: or top-posted..? :)

Well, I could have snipped his post a bit but I doubt I could have brought
myself to top-post.

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Manoj

Gents,

First, sorry about the long post. Can you tell I'm really new.

Second, thanks for reply.

Finally, in response to Roland's original reponse. Unfortunately, I'm not
getting a page that reports an error. The only thing that's happening is it
I get returned to the original page (the form where I input the information).
In the Cut and Past version, an ackowledgement page is displayed after
submitting the form (that's guestbook11.asp)

In when I submit the form in guestbook1.asp basically nothing happens.

Regards and thanks!

Manoj

Roland Hall

in message
: First, sorry about the long post. Can you tell I'm really new.

In your defense, if you don't know where the error is, how are you supposed
to know which part of the code to show?

: Second, thanks for reply.

Np.

: Finally, in response to Roland's original reponse. Unfortunately, I'm not
: getting a page that reports an error. The only thing that's happening is
it
: I get returned to the original page (the form where I input the
information).
: In the Cut and Past version, an ackowledgement page is displayed after
: submitting the form (that's guestbook11.asp)
:
: In when I submit the form in guestbook1.asp basically nothing happens.

Both of those showed guestbook1.asp. Which is guestbook11.asp?

I also saw that there is a test for "True" but what is submitted it the form
element variable Message is being submitted as "TRUE".

If Not Request.QueryString("Message") = "True" Then
..
..
..
<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="Message" VALUE="TRUE">

This is not a boolean and a test could have been:

dim message
if Request.QueryString("Message") <> "" Then

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Morris

Manoj said:
[...]

The error is being caused by the case of TRUE in the querystring. Your
first line of VBScript is:

If Not Request.QueryString("Message") = "True" Then....

where the case of the word True is in proper case. However, in the
hidden form field, its in uppercase:

<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="Message" VALUE="TRUE">
When the value is passed to the querystring, it is an an uppercase word,
whereas your test is looking for something else (proper case), so
Request.Querystring("Message") will never evaluate to "True", only
"TRUE" or nothing. consequently, none of the code inserting the
comments into the database will work.

Change the hidden form element's value to "True" (as opposed to
"TRUE")and have another go.

Stick with it :)

Morris