ASP not connecting to SQL DB

Thomas Grassi

Just installed new Computer running Windows XP Home SP2. I use to have
Windows 2000 ISA server and Windows 2000 SQL Server along with my windows
2000 workstation. Well I decided to nix all that and settle for just one
computer with a lot of disk space and memory. The old electric bill is now
better. But my problems have just begun.

Since Windows XP Home does not support IIS I had to find another product
that would run my web site on my computer. I installed Apache and it seems
to be working with my HTM pages I developed them using Frontpage 2003.

I then installed SQL 2000 Developers software and imported the orginal
databases I used and that seems to be working fine also.

Now for the problem.

The asp pages I wrote will not connect to the sql database. here is my
original db_connect.inc
<%
strConnect ="Provider=MSDASQL.1;Password=$sql;Persist Security
Info=False;Server=TGCS-PHI4-NT;User ID=sa;Data Source=SQL;Initial
Catalog=WrestlingHistory"
%>

My workstation name is TGKW001 which is what the SQL Server is called on my
local computer.

I am not sure what I need to specify for the strConnect

Any ideas or suggestions

Thanks in advance

Tom

handy

[...]

Since you're using Apache, how are you doing ASP processing? By
default I don't think apache can do ASP.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Please do not multipost Thomas. This is definitely a database-related
question
so .asp.db was the perfect group in which to post it. Posting it here as
well did not increase your chances of getting an answer (most of us
subscribe to both groups). On the contrary, if somebody had taken his time
to answer it here, only to find that it was already resolved in the other
group, that person may have been annoyed enough to ignore any future posts
from you, thereby decreasing your chances of getting help in the future.

There are times when you will not be sure which group is most appropriate,
and you will want to post a question to both groups. In that situation, you
should use the cross-posting technique, rather than posting the same message
multiple times. To crosspost, put a semicolon-delimited* list of the
newsgroups to which you wish to post in the To: header of your post and post
it once. It, and any replies to it, will appear in all the newsgroups in
your list. So, if I reply in .asp.db, my reply will also appear here in
..asp.general.

Thomas Grassi

Handy

Well I am not sure how that is working. Maybe thats the problem. I was under
the impression that Apache was and IIS replacement. If that is not so then I
may have to bite the bullet and upgrade to Windows XP Pro

Any thoughts?

Tom

Jeff Cochran

Well I am not sure how that is working. Maybe thats the problem. I was under
the impression that Apache was and IIS replacement. If that is not so then I
may have to bite the bullet and upgrade to Windows XP Pro

Any thoughts?

IIS and Apache are both web servers. Both can handle ASP, though IIS
is far better at it. Have you tested your Apache install with a
"Hello World!" ASP page? If not, do so. If you need help configuring
Apache for ASP, there are Apache support groups and lists for that
help.

Jeff

handy

IIS and Apache are both web servers. Both can handle ASP, though IIS
is far better at it. Have you tested your Apache install with a
"Hello World!" ASP page? If not, do so. If you need help configuring
Apache for ASP, there are Apache support groups and lists for that
help.
Really? I wasn't aware Apache had added asp processing. Used to be
you had to use Chilisofts stuff (acquired by Sun now).

I'll have to look into it - is there an asp module or is it 'native'
to apache?

Jeff Cochran

Really? I wasn't aware Apache had added asp processing. Used to be
you had to use Chilisofts stuff (acquired by Sun now).

I'll have to look into it - is there an asp module or is it 'native'
to apache?

There is an ASP MOD but it's Perlscript, not VBScript (Makes sense if
you're running Apache anyway). There's always Chilisoft's ASP as
well. And if you're running Apache, you're likely developing in
Perl/PHP or anything but ASP/ASP.NET.

Jeff

larrybud2002

Thomas said:
Just installed new Computer running Windows XP Home SP2. I use to have
Windows 2000 ISA server and Windows 2000 SQL Server along with my windows
2000 workstation. Well I decided to nix all that and settle for just one
computer with a lot of disk space and memory. The old electric bill is now
better. But my problems have just begun.

Since Windows XP Home does not support IIS I had to find another product
that would run my web site on my computer. I installed Apache and it seems
to be working with my HTM pages I developed them using Frontpage
2003.
Just upgrade and sick with XP Pro. Forget Apache if you're doing ASP.

larrybud2002

Thomas said:
Just installed new Computer running Windows XP Home SP2. I use to have
Windows 2000 ISA server and Windows 2000 SQL Server along with my windows
2000 workstation. Well I decided to nix all that and settle for just one
computer with a lot of disk space and memory. The old electric bill is now
better. But my problems have just begun.

Since Windows XP Home does not support IIS I had to find another product
that would run my web site on my computer. I installed Apache and it seems
to be working with my HTM pages I developed them using Frontpage
2003.

Just upgrade and stick with XP Pro. Forget Apache if you're doing ASP.

larrybud2002