ASP not connecting to SQL DB

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Thomas Grassi, Jan 4, 2005.

  1. Just installed new Computer running Windows XP Home SP2. I use to have
    Windows 2000 ISA server and Windows 2000 SQL Server along with my windows
    2000 workstation. Well I decided to nix all that and settle for just one
    computer with a lot of disk space and memory. The old electric bill is now
    better. But my problems have just begun.

    Since Windows XP Home does not support IIS I had to find another product
    that would run my web site on my computer. I installed Apache and it seems
    to be working with my HTM pages I developed them using Frontpage 2003.

    I then installed SQL 2000 Developers software and imported the orginal
    databases I used and that seems to be working fine also.

    Now for the problem.

    The asp pages I wrote will not connect to the sql database. here is my
    original db_connect.inc
    <%
    strConnect ="Provider=MSDASQL.1;Password=$sql;Persist Security
    Info=False;Server=TGCS-PHI4-NT;User ID=sa;Data Source=SQL;Initial
    Catalog=WrestlingHistory"
    %>

    My workstation name is TGKW001 which is what the SQL Server is called on my
    local computer.

    I am not sure what I need to specify for the strConnect

    Any ideas or suggestions

    Thanks in advance

    Tom
    Thomas Grassi, Jan 4, 2005

  2. Thomas Grassi

    handy Guest

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 17:39:42 -0500, "Thomas Grassi"
    <> wrote:

    >Just installed new Computer running Windows XP Home SP2. I use to have
    >Windows 2000 ISA server and Windows 2000 SQL Server along with my windows
    >2000 workstation. Well I decided to nix all that and settle for just one
    >computer with a lot of disk space and memory. The old electric bill is now
    >better. But my problems have just begun.
    >
    >Since Windows XP Home does not support IIS I had to find another product
    >that would run my web site on my computer. I installed Apache and it seems
    >to be working with my HTM pages I developed them using Frontpage 2003.
    >
    >I then installed SQL 2000 Developers software and imported the orginal
    >databases I used and that seems to be working fine also.
    >
    >Now for the problem.
    >
    >The asp pages I wrote will not connect to the sql database. here is my
    >original db_connect.inc
    ><%
    >strConnect ="Provider=MSDASQL.1;Password=$sql;Persist Security
    >Info=False;Server=TGCS-PHI4-NT;User ID=sa;Data Source=SQL;Initial
    >Catalog=WrestlingHistory"
    >%>
    >
    >My workstation name is TGKW001 which is what the SQL Server is called on my
    >local computer.
    >
    >I am not sure what I need to specify for the strConnect
    >
    >Any ideas or suggestions
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >Tom

    Since you're using Apache, how are you doing ASP processing? By
    default I don't think apache can do ASP.
    handy, Jan 4, 2005

  3. Please do not multipost Thomas. This is definitely a database-related
    question
    so .asp.db was the perfect group in which to post it. Posting it here as
    well did not increase your chances of getting an answer (most of us
    subscribe to both groups). On the contrary, if somebody had taken his time
    to answer it here, only to find that it was already resolved in the other
    group, that person may have been annoyed enough to ignore any future posts
    from you, thereby decreasing your chances of getting help in the future.

    There are times when you will not be sure which group is most appropriate,
    and you will want to post a question to both groups. In that situation, you
    should use the cross-posting technique, rather than posting the same message
    multiple times. To crosspost, put a semicolon-delimited* list of the
    newsgroups to which you wish to post in the To: header of your post and post
    it once. It, and any replies to it, will appear in all the newsgroups in
    your list. So, if I reply in .asp.db, my reply will also appear here in
    ..asp.general.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jan 4, 2005
  4. Handy

    Well I am not sure how that is working. Maybe thats the problem. I was under
    the impression that Apache was and IIS replacement. If that is not so then I
    may have to bite the bullet and upgrade to Windows XP Pro

    Any thoughts?

    Tom

    Thomas Grassi, Jan 4, 2005
  5. Thomas Grassi

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 17:55:46 -0500, "Thomas Grassi"
    <> wrote:

    >Well I am not sure how that is working. Maybe thats the problem. I was under
    >the impression that Apache was and IIS replacement. If that is not so then I
    >may have to bite the bullet and upgrade to Windows XP Pro
    >
    >Any thoughts?

    IIS and Apache are both web servers. Both can handle ASP, though IIS
    is far better at it. Have you tested your Apache install with a
    "Hello World!" ASP page? If not, do so. If you need help configuring
    Apache for ASP, there are Apache support groups and lists for that
    help.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jan 4, 2005
  6. Thomas Grassi

    handy Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:02:43 GMT, (Jeff Cochran)
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 17:55:46 -0500, "Thomas Grassi"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Well I am not sure how that is working. Maybe thats the problem. I was under
    >>the impression that Apache was and IIS replacement. If that is not so then I
    >>may have to bite the bullet and upgrade to Windows XP Pro
    >>
    >>Any thoughts?

    >IIS and Apache are both web servers. Both can handle ASP, though IIS
    >is far better at it. Have you tested your Apache install with a
    >"Hello World!" ASP page? If not, do so. If you need help configuring
    >Apache for ASP, there are Apache support groups and lists for that
    >help.

    Really? I wasn't aware Apache had added asp processing. Used to be
    you had to use Chilisofts stuff (acquired by Sun now).

    I'll have to look into it - is there an asp module or is it 'native'
    to apache?
    handy, Jan 4, 2005
  7. Thomas Grassi

    Mark Schupp Guest

    There is an apache module for asp but it only supported perlscript the last
    time I looked (a couple of months ago). They also appear to be working on a
    ..net module.

    http://httpd.apache.org/related_projects.html#apacheasp

    --
    --Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Jan 5, 2005
  8. Thomas Grassi

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 16:45:38 -0700, handy
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:02:43 GMT, (Jeff Cochran)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 17:55:46 -0500, "Thomas Grassi"
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Well I am not sure how that is working. Maybe thats the problem. I was under
    >>>the impression that Apache was and IIS replacement. If that is not so then I
    >>>may have to bite the bullet and upgrade to Windows XP Pro
    >>>
    >>>Any thoughts?

    >>IIS and Apache are both web servers. Both can handle ASP, though IIS
    >>is far better at it. Have you tested your Apache install with a
    >>"Hello World!" ASP page? If not, do so. If you need help configuring
    >>Apache for ASP, there are Apache support groups and lists for that
    >>help.
    >>

    >Really? I wasn't aware Apache had added asp processing. Used to be
    >you had to use Chilisofts stuff (acquired by Sun now).
    >
    >I'll have to look into it - is there an asp module or is it 'native'
    >to apache?

    There is an ASP MOD but it's Perlscript, not VBScript (Makes sense if
    you're running Apache anyway). There's always Chilisoft's ASP as
    well. And if you're running Apache, you're likely developing in
    Perl/PHP or anything but ASP/ASP.NET.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Jan 5, 2005
  9. Thomas Grassi

    Guest

    Thomas Grassi wrote:
    > Just installed new Computer running Windows XP Home SP2. I use to

    have
    > Windows 2000 ISA server and Windows 2000 SQL Server along with my

    windows
    > 2000 workstation. Well I decided to nix all that and settle for just

    one
    > computer with a lot of disk space and memory. The old electric bill

    is now
    > better. But my problems have just begun.
    >
    > Since Windows XP Home does not support IIS I had to find another

    product
    > that would run my web site on my computer. I installed Apache and it

    seems
    > to be working with my HTM pages I developed them using Frontpage

    2003.
    Just upgrade and sick with XP Pro. Forget Apache if you're doing ASP.
    , Jan 6, 2005
  10. Thomas Grassi

    Guest

    Thomas Grassi wrote:
    > Just installed new Computer running Windows XP Home SP2. I use to

    have
    > Windows 2000 ISA server and Windows 2000 SQL Server along with my

    windows
    > 2000 workstation. Well I decided to nix all that and settle for just

    one
    > computer with a lot of disk space and memory. The old electric bill

    is now
    > better. But my problems have just begun.
    >
    > Since Windows XP Home does not support IIS I had to find another

    product
    > that would run my web site on my computer. I installed Apache and it

    seems
    > to be working with my HTM pages I developed them using Frontpage

    2003.

    Just upgrade and stick with XP Pro. Forget Apache if you're doing ASP.
    , Jan 6, 2005
  11. Thomas Grassi

    Guest