ASP Not Respecting Response.ContentType

John Smith

I am trying to generate an RSS feed with ASP, however, IE will not
display the feed as an XML document, instead returning it as text.

I have <% Response.Buffer = true %> and <% Response.ContentType =
"text/xml" %> at the top of the page, but it does not make a
difference. Netscape/Mozilla recognizes the contenttype and displays
it as XML, and the feed is valid. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you!

Bob Barrows [MVP]

John said:
I am trying to generate an RSS feed with ASP, however, IE will not
display the feed as an XML document, instead returning it as text.

I have <% Response.Buffer = true %> and <% Response.ContentType =
"text/xml" %> at the top of the page, but it does not make a
difference. Netscape/Mozilla recognizes the contenttype and displays
it as XML, and the feed is valid. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you!

Do you see the XML when you view the page source in IE?

John Smith

On Sun, 16 May 2004 14:32:46 -0400, "Bob Barrows [MVP]"

:John Smith wrote:
:> I am trying to generate an RSS feed with ASP, however, IE will not
:> display the feed as an XML document, instead returning it as text.
:>
:> I have <% Response.Buffer = true %> and <% Response.ContentType =
:> "text/xml" %> at the top of the page, but it does not make a
:> difference. Netscape/Mozilla recognizes the contenttype and displays
:> it as XML, and the feed is valid. Any help would be greatly
:> appreciated.
:>
:> Thank you!
:
:Do you see the XML when you view the page source in IE?

Yes, I do, but IE does not display it as an XML page.

John Smith

On Sun, 16 May 2004 17:08:04 -0400, "Bob Barrows [MVP]"

:>> John Smith wrote:
:>>> I am trying to generate an RSS feed with ASP, however, IE will not
:>>> display the feed as an XML document, instead returning it as text.
:>>>
:>>> I have <% Response.Buffer = true %> and <% Response.ContentType =
:>>> "text/xml" %> at the top of the page, but it does not make a
:>>> difference. Netscape/Mozilla recognizes the contenttype and displays
:>>> it as XML, and the feed is valid. Any help would be greatly
:>>> appreciated.
:>>>
:>>> Thank you!
:>>
:>> Do you see the XML when you view the page source in IE?
:>
:> Yes, I do, but IE does not display it as an XML page.
:
:OK, can you show us the source?
:
:Bob Barrows

It looks like I had bad XML data, and that was causing the problem.
Thanks for your help nonetheless