ASP/NTLM and ASP.Net/Forms authentication incapatability

Ray Johnson

We have a largish internal site written in ASP that we are trying to
move to ASP.Net. We also want to move from NTLM authentication to
Forms authentication. The site is mostly ASP with a vdir that
contains all the ASP.Net code. For the authentication the website is
configured with anonymous=false, NTLM=true while the vdir is
configured with anonymous=true, NTLM=false.

This work great if you go the ASP.Net code directly or the ASP code
directly. However, if you go to the ASP code first and then attempt
to navigate to the ASP.Net code (same browser/session) then login to
the ASP.Net portion fails.

It appears that because the user/session was already authenticated via
NTLM the standard code for authentication fails for ASP.Net/Forms.
The symptom we see is that the after submitting the login page it
simply loops back to the login page with out ever running the POST for
the login.

Does anyone have a clue how to work around this problem? We really
need to have both mechanisms working as it will take us some time to
port the entire set of applications. We could put the ASP.Net tools
on a different site - but that would be really painful as all licks
would need to become absolute references.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Ray Johnson