    data from ms sql server)

    Regards;
    Mex

    Meelis Lilbok, Jan 27, 2006

  2. Meelis Lilbok wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > simple question
    >

    > what is faster, ASP Code or compiled ActiveX DLL with same
    > functions(queryng data from ms sql server)

    It depends. In general, compiled code will wait (i.e., for database
    connections to be made, data to be returned from queries, etc.) just as long
    as non-compiled code will wait. IOW, when it comes to working with a
    database, bottlenecks usually have nothing to do with whether the code doing
    the database communication is compiled or not.

    Where compiled code may have an advantage is situations where a lot of extra
    processing is done to the data after it is returned from the database.

    When running ActiveX DLL's from ASP, you should be aware that there is some
    overhead involved from instantiating the dll.

    A more definitive answer can only be gained by testing both options in your
    application.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jan 27, 2006