    career. Is ASP really a dead language with the advent of ASP.NET?

    Thanks in advance
    Martin
    Placek, Jul 17, 2005

  2. On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 12:03:04 -0700, Placek
    <> wrote:
    in <>

    >Good Evening
    >
    >I am a student studying Computing and I am just about to start on my
    >dissertation. I am keen to develop a website that queries data from a
    >database and I decided that I would do this in ASP. I bought a very good book
    >by Scott Micthell on ASP3.0 and researched into buying an operating system
    >with the latest version of IIS so I can build my application.
    >
    >Then I started to read that ASP is a dead language, I also spoke to a friend
    >who pretty much confirmed the same. I told him about my dissertation and he
    >suggested that I do it in ASP.NET as it would be more beneficial to my
    >career. Is ASP really a dead language with the advent of ASP.NET?
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >Martin

    At least for the near term, hardly dead (but ageing gracefully) unless
    you listen to the MS marketeers.

    ---
    Stefan Berglund
    Stefan Berglund, Jul 17, 2005

  3. Hi Marteen,
    I would have to agree with your friends. ASP gave us suitable solution
    couple of years ago, but now ASP.NET is superior in any aspect from
    performance to productivity. Do not consider using ASP for new projects. Let
    him rest in peace.

    --
    Leon Langleyben
    MCSD

    Leon Langleyben, Jul 17, 2005
  4. Placek

    Evertjan. Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?UGxhY2Vr?= wrote on 17 jul 2005 in
    > Good Evening

    Depends on ones localisation, but to you too.

    > I am a student studying Computing and I am just about to start on my
    > dissertation. I am keen to develop a website that queries data from a
    > database and I decided that I would do this in ASP. I bought a very
    > good book by Scott Micthell on ASP3.0 and researched into buying an
    > operating system with the latest version of IIS so I can build my
    > application.

    I don't know if that is a good book. Learning can very well be done
    hands-on on the net.

    If you have XP-professional you have both ASP and ASP.NET,
    be it in a slim form.

    > Then I started to read that ASP is a dead language,

    Very wrong. ASP is NOT a language but a platform for languages, like
    VBscript and J[ava]sctipt.

    It is not dead either, and you will learn much more about programming
    than the simplifications of asp.net, heavily pushed by MS, but wrongly
    so, imho.

    > I also spoke to a
    > friend who pretty much confirmed the same. I told him about my
    > dissertation and he suggested that I do it in ASP.NET as it would be
    > more beneficial to my career.

    I cannot see you can do a dissertation "in" a platform for computer
    languages, or even "in" vbscript or jscript.

    You could do a dissertation ABOUT ASP or ASP.NET or better still about
    the differences and their viabilities.

    However since your lack of understanding what ASP is, this will take a
    steep learning curve.

    > Is ASP really a dead language with the advent of ASP.NET?

    Again, it is not a language, it's a platform.

    Will ASP be "depricated"?
    Not for years to come, I hope.

    MS will not risk loozing the customers,
    that are using ASP sites now,
    and being frustrated with such platform euthanasia,
    will therefore choose to take their business elsewhere.

    I doubt asp.net will ever heve such a long live as asp..

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Jul 17, 2005
  5. Hi guys,
    ASP had beautiful years with us. You are right, it is still alive. There is
    enormous number of ASP based production systems out there. They will continue
    to functional just fine for years (at least while install base of NT, XP, W2K
    still exists). Nobody will rewrite or migrate those systems into ASP.NET.
    Believe me, I gave ASP a lot of respect, and I have nothing to do with MS
    marketing.

    The question is not if ASP is dead or not, but what should you use today to
    learn and develop new system. I totally disagree that you can learn more with
    ASP then with ASP.NET. ASP is interpreted scripting environment. ASP.NET
    technology based on well designed object oriented infrastructure. Since when
    VB script is better then VB6?
    And as we are talking about new application, it is all about performance,
    scalability, security and developer productivity. ASP is better in all these
    areas.

    Best Regards,
    Leon
    --
    Leon Langleyben
    MCSD

    Leon Langleyben, Jul 18, 2005
  6. Placek wrote:
    > Good Evening
    >
    > I am a student studying Computing and I am just about to start on my
    > dissertation. I am keen to develop a website that queries data from a
    > database and I decided that I would do this in ASP. I bought a very good book
    > by Scott Micthell on ASP3.0 and researched into buying an operating system
    > with the latest version of IIS so I can build my application.
    >
    > Then I started to read that ASP is a dead language, I also spoke to a friend
    > who pretty much confirmed the same. I told him about my dissertation and he
    > suggested that I do it in ASP.NET as it would be more beneficial to my
    > career. Is ASP really a dead language with the advent of ASP.NET?

    I went to Google and typed in some file extensions:

    Framework Extension Millions of hits
    PHP .php 334
    ASP .asp 334
    C et al .cgi 106
    ASP.NET .aspx 74
    JSP .jsp 73
    Perl .pl 71

    So ASP is as dead as PHP (but not nearly as dead as ASP.NET)!:cool:)
    Michael D. Kersey, Jul 18, 2005