ASP Page Produces 50MB Response

Tim M

I have developed an ASP application that can send as much as say 150MB of XML data to the client, if all records (approx 6,000) in the database are returned. Normally, users would choose filtering options and at most about 500 records would be returned at any time. It is rare for this volume of data to be download, but it can happen

My application runs on a corporate intranet. A rival contactor's 'expert' believes that it is intolerable for my application to generate this much data under any circumstances as it would unduly load the network

Ofcourse it is a simple matter for me to elimate large volume transactions by limiting any client request to a lesser number of records. If they really wanted all records several transactions would be necessary. That is, a paging mechanism could be provided

Given that there are many very large documents, pictures, and other media held on this intranet server, which users can view at any time I don't perceive this as a problem. Its pretty much a double standard. Also, the server script timeout prevents the server from being overloaded.

What do people think

Tim

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

I have developed an ASP application that can send as much as say 150MB of
XML data to the client, if all records (approx 6,000) in the database are
returned. Normally, users would choose filtering options and at most
about 500 records would be returned at any time. It is rare for this
volume of data to be download, but it can happen.

If they want the whole database, you should prepare that on the server and
let them download it, instead of presenting it to them in a browser, IMHO.
Also, the server script timeout prevents the server from being overloaded.

How does the script timeout prevent the same 150MB request from being
executed by 20 people simultaneously? How does the script timeout prevent
the BROWSER from timing out?