ASP pages display source code in browser

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by billium99, Aug 15, 2004.

  1. billium99

    billium99 Guest

    Hello - I'm a newbie and I've been bashing my brain
    against IIS for about 5 hours now.

    I'm just trying to set up a testing server via
    Dreamweaver that is my local box. HTML works fine and ASP
    works fine IF there is no js code input. I can save a few
    images in a table as an ASP page and it works great, but
    if I try to pull a table from a database, the browser
    suddenly displays the code, rather than the page.

    I've heard some people referring to articles that might
    address this, but so far I'm not seeing them.

    I have .asp files being handled by asp.dll from the
    internet information services section.

    What the heck am I missing? What else should I provide
    y'all so we can brainstorm this? Thanks!

    Bill
    "Spud, they're my sheets!!!"

    billium99, Aug 15, 2004

  2. Are you sure you're typing http://servername/file.asp and not
    c:\folder\file.asp ?

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Aug 15, 2004

  3. billium99

    Guest Guest

    I am sure. I'm actually using Dreamweaver's test
    behavior, which is throwing it to my own web server
    (hence IIS) - all pages work fine if in html or asp if
    there are no asp-unique components in the code. So if I
    simply save an html page as an asp page, it will still
    display correctly, but if I add a simple thing like
    grabbing a data component from my database to display on
    the page, it instantly goes to displaying the source code.
    I'll check that FAQ you sent nonetheless. Thanks

    Bill
    "Spud, they're my sheets!!!"

    Guest, Aug 15, 2004
  4. Have you tried something simpler, like

    <%
    response.write "hello"
    %>

    ??