    I haven't been able to find anything about this issue on the web. Has
    anyone seen this before? Any idea how to fix it?

    Thanks.

    Randall, Feb 1, 2005

  2. It could be some odd problem which hangs the application process. I've
    experienced something similar on my testing server...

    in my case it was because of Norton AntiVirus whose ScriptBlocking was
    causing the process (an instance of dllhost.exe run under user
    IWAM_machinename) to hang at 100% CPU everytime a page tried to access
    FileSystemObject methods. The only solution in this case is to disable the
    ScriptBlocking feature (if FSO is really needed) or to replace
    FileSystemObject calls with calls to ADODB.Stream, which doesn't (much
    strangely) get blocked. I've heard that also McAfee Viruscan has a similar
    function, which causes similar problems.

    Otherwise... you should just check if there might be a conflict with any
    other software installed on your server.
    Regards

    "Randall" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > I have a Windows 2003 Server Web running 5 web sites. Every few days, the
    > ASP pages stop responding. There are no events in the event log. The

    HTML
    > pages are still served successfully. These pages have no database
    > interaction (others use MySQL). I have to restart IIS in order for the

    pages

    andrea azzini, Feb 1, 2005

  3. Randall

    Randall Guest

    Thanks. I'll make a note to check the server load the next time this
    happens, although I don't recall any slow response times when poking around
    looking at logs and event viewer records. The server is running McAfee. I
    don't know the code well enough to recall whether FileSystemObjects are used.
    I'll look for that.

    The server is pretty slim on software. It's pretty close to out-of-the-box
    Windows 2003 Web. It ran flawlessly for about 6-7 months, and is now
    problematic with no software changes, upgrades, installations...only MS
    patches.

    Randall, Feb 1, 2005
  4. Randall

    Guest

    Randall wrote:
    > I have a Windows 2003 Server Web running 5 web sites. Every few

    days, the
    > ASP pages stop responding. There are no events in the event log.

    The HTML
    > pages are still served successfully. These pages have no database
    > interaction (others use MySQL). I have to restart IIS in order for

    the pages
    > to work again.
    >
    > I haven't been able to find anything about this issue on the web.

    Has
    > anyone seen this before? Any idea how to fix it?

    Put all apps on HIGH ISOLATION, then install Process Explorer from Sys
    Internals and you can view each app and see what memory and CPU usage
    it takes up.

    , Feb 9, 2005
  5. I've had another occurrence of this situation today. During the incident, I
    checked the 3 sites that use ASP, and HTML pages were viewable successfully,
    but all ASP pages stopped working. The system usage was quite low (CPU
    around 5-8%; memory: 450MB of 1GB).

    I noticed one thing that has me doing further research. There was a process
    named W3WP.exe that had memory usage of 380 MB. It wasn't actively using any
    CPU time. After restarting IIS, the memory usage reset to about 30 MB, and
    now after about 3 hours, it's back up over 100 MB again and climbing. Does
    this sound right?

    Since I'm running IIS 6, I believe that by default the apps run in High
    Isolation. I'm at a loss regarding how to fix this. Any other ideas that
    come to mind?

    Randall McGarvey, Feb 11, 2005
  6. I've had another occurrence of this situation today. During the incident, I
    checked the 3 sites that use ASP, and HTML pages were viewable successfully,
    but all ASP pages stopped working. The system usage was quite low (CPU
    around 5-8%; memory: 450MB of 1GB).

    I noticed one thing that has me doing further research. There was a process
    named W3WP.exe that had memory usage of 380 MB. It wasn't actively using any
    CPU time. After restarting IIS, the memory usage reset to about 30 MB, and
    now after about 3 hours, it's back up over 100 MB again and climbing. Does
    this sound right?

    The system is running IIS 6, which I believe means that the apps run in High
    Isolation by default. Any other ideas regarding what to try? I'm at a loss.

    Randall McGarvey, Feb 11, 2005
  7. "" wrote:
    <snip>
    > Put all apps on HIGH ISOLATION, then install Process Explorer from Sys
    > Internals and you can view each app and see what memory and CPU usage
    > it takes up.

    Larry, what does Process Explorer display that isn't available in the task
    manager? The interfaces and information look very similar.

    Sorry about the duplicate posts. I guess the error message about expired
    sessions wasn't totally accurate.

    Randall McGarvey, Feb 11, 2005