asp pages hang randomly

Randall

I have a Windows 2003 Server Web running 5 web sites. Every few days, the
ASP pages stop responding. There are no events in the event log. The HTML
pages are still served successfully. These pages have no database
interaction (others use MySQL). I have to restart IIS in order for the pages
to work again.

I haven't been able to find anything about this issue on the web. Has
anyone seen this before? Any idea how to fix it?

Thanks.

andrea azzini

It could be some odd problem which hangs the application process. I've
experienced something similar on my testing server...

in my case it was because of Norton AntiVirus whose ScriptBlocking was
causing the process (an instance of dllhost.exe run under user
IWAM_machinename) to hang at 100% CPU everytime a page tried to access
FileSystemObject methods. The only solution in this case is to disable the
ScriptBlocking feature (if FSO is really needed) or to replace
FileSystemObject calls with calls to ADODB.Stream, which doesn't (much
strangely) get blocked. I've heard that also McAfee Viruscan has a similar
function, which causes similar problems.

Otherwise... you should just check if there might be a conflict with any
other software installed on your server.
Regards

Randall

Thanks. I'll make a note to check the server load the next time this
happens, although I don't recall any slow response times when poking around
looking at logs and event viewer records. The server is running McAfee. I
don't know the code well enough to recall whether FileSystemObjects are used.
I'll look for that.

The server is pretty slim on software. It's pretty close to out-of-the-box
Windows 2003 Web. It ran flawlessly for about 6-7 months, and is now
problematic with no software changes, upgrades, installations...only MS
patches.

larrybud2002

Randall said:
I have a Windows 2003 Server Web running 5 web sites. Every few days, the
ASP pages stop responding. There are no events in the event log. The HTML
pages are still served successfully. These pages have no database
interaction (others use MySQL). I have to restart IIS in order for the pages
to work again.

I haven't been able to find anything about this issue on the web. Has
anyone seen this before? Any idea how to fix it?

Put all apps on HIGH ISOLATION, then install Process Explorer from Sys
Internals and you can view each app and see what memory and CPU usage
it takes up.

Randall McGarvey

I've had another occurrence of this situation today. During the incident, I
checked the 3 sites that use ASP, and HTML pages were viewable successfully,
but all ASP pages stopped working. The system usage was quite low (CPU
around 5-8%; memory: 450MB of 1GB).

I noticed one thing that has me doing further research. There was a process
named W3WP.exe that had memory usage of 380 MB. It wasn't actively using any
CPU time. After restarting IIS, the memory usage reset to about 30 MB, and
now after about 3 hours, it's back up over 100 MB again and climbing. Does
this sound right?

Since I'm running IIS 6, I believe that by default the apps run in High
Isolation. I'm at a loss regarding how to fix this. Any other ideas that
come to mind?

Randall McGarvey

I've had another occurrence of this situation today. During the incident, I
checked the 3 sites that use ASP, and HTML pages were viewable successfully,
but all ASP pages stopped working. The system usage was quite low (CPU
around 5-8%; memory: 450MB of 1GB).

I noticed one thing that has me doing further research. There was a process
named W3WP.exe that had memory usage of 380 MB. It wasn't actively using any
CPU time. After restarting IIS, the memory usage reset to about 30 MB, and
now after about 3 hours, it's back up over 100 MB again and climbing. Does
this sound right?

The system is running IIS 6, which I believe means that the apps run in High
Isolation by default. Any other ideas regarding what to try? I'm at a loss.

Randall McGarvey

:
Put all apps on HIGH ISOLATION, then install Process Explorer from Sys
Internals and you can view each app and see what memory and CPU usage
it takes up.

Larry, what does Process Explorer display that isn't available in the task
manager? The interfaces and information look very similar.

Sorry about the duplicate posts. I guess the error message about expired
sessions wasn't totally accurate.