ASP pages not being served correctly

manofsteele

I have a new computer that I have iis 5 installed on win xp. I am trying to
run a simple one line asp test file in my wwwroot directory.

In IE 6 it says: HTTP 500 - Internal server error
Internet Explorer

In Netscape 6 it says "Class does not exist."

In my application event viewer, there are no entries from "Active Server
Pages", like I"m used to seeing in my other computers. Usually this entry
says "Service Started" or "Service Stopped". So apparently the asp service
is not running. I thought that uninstalling and reinstalling IIS would fix
it, but not luck.

Does anyone know why?

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

manofsteele said:
I have a new computer that I have iis 5 installed on win xp. I am trying to
run a simple one line asp test file in my wwwroot directory.

In IE 6 it says: HTTP 500 - Internal server error
Internet Explorer

In Netscape 6 it says "Class does not exist."

In my application event viewer, there are no entries from "Active Server
Pages", like I"m used to seeing in my other computers. Usually this entry
says "Service Started" or "Service Stopped". So apparently the asp service
is not running. I thought that uninstalling and reinstalling IIS would fix
it, but not luck.

Does anyone know why?

FAQ. Start here:
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2109
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=311766
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=309051

Dave Anderson

manofsteele said:
In IE 6 it says: HTTP 500 - Internal server error
Internet Explorer

This is proof that IIS is running (specifically the WWW publishing service),
as well as fairly persuasive evidence that you have not turned off "Friendly
HTTP Error Messages" in your IE6 [Advanced] options.

In Netscape 6 it says "Class does not exist."

This is the true error, which you will discover after fixing your IE
settings.

In my application event viewer, there are no entries from
"Active Server Pages", like I"m used to seeing in my other
computers. Usually this entry says "Service Started" or
"Service Stopped".

1. Windows XP is not the same OS as previous versions, so there is no reason
to assume everything will be in the same place.
2. IIS runs as a service, not as an application.
3. You have a certain measure of control over what gets logged. Look in the
[Audit Policy] section of [Local Security Settings]:[Local Policies]. It's
in your Administrative Tools. I note that many events are not audited by
default in Server 2003, so I assume similar for XP.

So apparently the asp service is not running.

1. There is no such thing as the "asp service". IIS is a suite of services
that includes [World Wide Web Publishing Service], [Simple Mail Transfer
Protocol (SMTP)], [FTP Publishing Service], [IIS Admin Service], [Network
News Transport Protocol (NNTP)], etc.
2. As pointed out previously, your web service is running.
3. .asp is an Application Extension under the web service. Open the IIS
Manager, look at the properties for your default web site, and view the
[Home Directory] tab. Click on the [Configuration...] button, and you'll see
whether .asp is listed as an extension. I'm betting it is.

--
Dave Anderson