    is not running. I thought that uninstalling and reinstalling IIS would fix
    it, but not luck.

    Does anyone know why?

    manofsteele, Oct 22, 2003

  2. Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Oct 22, 2003

  3. "manofsteele" <> wrote in message
    news:uD$...
    > I have a new computer that I have iis 5 installed on win xp. I am trying

    > run a simple one line asp test file in my wwwroot directory.
    >
    > In IE 6 it says: HTTP 500 - Internal server error
    > Internet Explorer
    >
    > In Netscape 6 it says "Class does not exist."
    >
    > In my application event viewer, there are no entries from "Active Server
    > Pages", like I"m used to seeing in my other computers. Usually this entry
    > says "Service Started" or "Service Stopped". So apparently the asp service
    > is not running. I thought that uninstalling and reinstalling IIS would fix
    > it, but not luck.
    >
    > Does anyone know why?

    FAQ. Start here:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2109
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=311766
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=309051

    --
    Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

    Tom Kaminski [MVP], Oct 22, 2003
  4. "manofsteele" wrote:

    > In IE 6 it says: HTTP 500 - Internal server error
    > Internet Explorer

    This is proof that IIS is running (specifically the WWW publishing service),
    as well as fairly persuasive evidence that you have not turned off "Friendly
    HTTP Error Messages" in your IE6 [Advanced] options.

    > In Netscape 6 it says "Class does not exist."

    This is the true error, which you will discover after fixing your IE
    settings.

    > In my application event viewer, there are no entries from
    > "Active Server Pages", like I"m used to seeing in my other
    > computers. Usually this entry says "Service Started" or
    > "Service Stopped".

    1. Windows XP is not the same OS as previous versions, so there is no reason
    to assume everything will be in the same place.
    2. IIS runs as a service, not as an application.
    3. You have a certain measure of control over what gets logged. Look in the
    [Audit Policy] section of [Local Security Settings]:[Local Policies]. It's
    in your Administrative Tools. I note that many events are not audited by
    default in Server 2003, so I assume similar for XP.

    > So apparently the asp service is not running.

    1. There is no such thing as the "asp service". IIS is a suite of services
    that includes [World Wide Web Publishing Service], [Simple Mail Transfer
    Protocol (SMTP)], [FTP Publishing Service], [IIS Admin Service], [Network
    News Transport Protocol (NNTP)], etc.
    2. As pointed out previously, your web service is running.
    3. .asp is an Application Extension under the web service. Open the IIS
    Manager, look at the properties for your default web site, and view the
    [Home Directory] tab. Click on the [Configuration...] button, and you'll see
    whether .asp is listed as an extension. I'm betting it is.

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Oct 22, 2003