ASP pages not responding.

Alan Easton

Hi All,

I have a strange problem occuring with my ASP/MS SQL
Server website. My site is totally ASP driven, powered by
a MS SQL Server DB. Now for months it has worked/performed
very well, no problems. But sometimes, mainly early
morning, my ASP pages won't respond at all.

I get no Timeout errors, no JS errors, no errors at all.
Just when I request my site's homepage, IE just searches
and then stops, does nothing. ASP just does not respond.

Now I have checked with my Server guys and they say there
is no problem server side. And my DB is fine, HTML pages
work fine and I can still FTP to my site.......but no ASP
pages respond at all.

Has any one any ideas at to why this might happen. I
thought it might be my code, but I have checked and
checked....the site make alot of recordset calls to the
DB, about 35 per page. But the recordsets are opend and
queried and closed correctly, so I would not have thought
this was a problem.

Please, if anyone has any ideas, then please let me know,

Much appreciated,

Alan...

Dave Anderson

Alan Easton said:
My site is totally ASP driven, powered by a MS SQL Server
DB. Now for months it has worked/performed very well, no
problems. But sometimes, mainly early morning, my ASP
pages won't respond at all.

It's interesting that you say it tend to happen early in the morning. Is
there any chance this correlates to automated Windows Updates? We had a
similar problem when testing Shavlik's HFNetChk Pro
(http://www.shavlik.com/pHFNetChkPro.aspx) -- it was selectively shutting
down services to push down updates, but failing to reboot the servers.

--
Dave Anderson

Guy Van Dyck

Hi Alan,

I have a similar problem : my ASP application worked fine for years on
an NT 4 server. Now we migrated to W2K Small Business Server IIS 5
and this is were problems started : I have two customers converted.
Both have problem that IIS stops responding every now and then. One of
them has to IISREST twice a day. Almost every morning around 9 AM for
the first time.

I use an MS Access Database, however in the background MS SQL 2000 is
running as part of SBS 2000.

HTML pages are working fine, only ASP's stop working. As an advice I
turned of "Cache ISAPI applications", but that made it even worse.

Do you have service pack 2 installed ? Or even SP3 ?

Think I will turn of ISA server to see if that helps. Is it activated
at your server ?

Would be very interested if you let me know when you found a solution.
I will do the same myself.

Best regards,
Guy Van Dyck