ASP Perlscript/VBScript Order of execution

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by LinnAxis, Jan 25, 2005.

  1. LinnAxis

    LinnAxis Guest

    Anyone have any idea why in the excerpt from one of my ASP pages, the
    Perlscript code always executes BEFORE the VBScript code?
    Even if the VBScript is in an included file
    (<!--#include file="../Include/Rep01Code.asp" -->), the Perlscript gets
    executed first.
    Unfortuantely my Perlscript needs to read Session variables assigned by
    my VBScript code.
    VBScript is the default lang as well.

    Regards,
    Jan

    <%
    Session("FundID")= SetSessionFundID(myFundID)
    Session("ReportDate") = SetSessionReportDate(myReportDate)
    Response.Write("VBSCRIPT IS EXECUTED NOW")
    Response.Write("VBScript ReportDate: " & Session("ReportDate"))
    Response.Write("VBScript FundID" & Session("FundID"))
    %>
    <SCRIPT RUNAT=SERVER LANGUAGE=PERLSCRIPT>
    use lib qq(d:\\Site);
    use SAMFundV02::SAMFundLib;

    my $Fund = $Session->{"FundID"};
    my $ReportDate = $Session->{"ReportDate"};

    $Response->Write("PERLSCRIPT IS EXECUTED NOW");
    $Response->Write("Perlscript FundID:". $Session->{"FundID"}. " ");
    $Response->Write("Perlscript ReportDate:" . $Session->{"ReportDate"}
    .. " ");

    SetRoundingFundAndDate($Fund,$ReportDate);

    $Session->{"CurrentNAVBefore"} = FormatNumber(Round('NAV',
    GetCurrentNAV($Fund, $ReportDate ,'BEFORE')));
    $Session->{"CurrentNAVAfter"} = FormatNumber(Round('NAV',
    GetCurrentNAV($Fund, $ReportDate ,'AFTER')));
    $Session->{"PrevWeekNAVBefore"} = FormatNumber(Round('NAV',
    GetPrevWeekNAV($Fund, $ReportDate ,'BEFORE')));
    $Session->{"PrevWeekNAVAfter"} = FormatNumber(Round('NAV',
    GetPrevWeekNAV($Fund, $ReportDate ,'AFTER')));
    $Session->{"PrevMonthNAVBefore"} = FormatNumber(Round('NAV',
    GetPrevMonthEndNAV($Fund, $ReportDate ,'BEFORE')));
    $Session->{"PrevMonthNAVAfter"} = FormatNumber(Round('NAV',
    GetPrevMonthEndNAV($Fund, $ReportDate ,'AFTER')));
    </SCRIPT>
    LinnAxis, Jan 25, 2005

  2. LinnAxis <> wrote:

    > Anyone have any idea why in the excerpt from one of my ASP pages, the
    > Perlscript code always executes BEFORE the VBScript code?

    You are in the wrong newsgroup.

    There is nothing to do with Perl in your question.

    There are other newsgroups for discussing how the web works.

    comp.infosystems.www.advocacy
    comp.infosystems.www.announce
    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi
    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html
    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.images
    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.misc
    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.site-design
    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets
    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.tools
    comp.infosystems.www.browsers.mac
    comp.infosystems.www.browsers.misc
    comp.infosystems.www.browsers.ms-windows
    comp.infosystems.www.browsers.x
    comp.infosystems.www.misc
    comp.infosystems.www.servers.mac
    comp.infosystems.www.servers.misc
    comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows
    comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming
    Tad McClellan, Jan 25, 2005

  3. LinnAxis wrote:
    > Anyone have any idea why in the excerpt from one of my ASP pages, the
    > Perlscript code always executes BEFORE the VBScript code?
    > Even if the VBScript is in an included file
    > (<!--#include file="../Include/Rep01Code.asp" -->), the Perlscript
    > gets executed first.
    > Unfortuantely my Perlscript needs to read Session variables assigned
    > by my VBScript code.
    > VBScript is the default lang as well.

    Interesting idea. So you want to send an HTTP response first, such that the
    client can execute the VBScript, such that the server can use the results
    while executing the server side code, such that the HTTP response can be
    generated.
    Do you see a problem with that?

    Not that this has anything to do with Perl to begin with....

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Jan 25, 2005
  4. LinnAxis

    LinnAxis Guest

    1) Firstly, thanks for all the friends responses. Remind me to find
    another resource next time I have a question.
    2) All of the code is server side. It was actually a simple question.
    LinnAxis, Jan 26, 2005
  5. LinnAxis <> wrote:

    > Remind me to find
    > another resource next time I have a question.

    Thank you for doing your part to make this a better newsgroup!

    I doubt that we will miss your valuable contributions.

    > It was actually a simple question.

    But it was not a *Perl* question.

    Tad McClellan, Jan 26, 2005
  6. LinnAxis

    LinnAxis Guest

    Out of curiostiy, why be so rude? If perhaps this question was better
    directed at a different newgroup. why not try to be helpful and, dare I
    say, polite?
    Certainly you must have better ways to direct your angst than at first
    time posters who are simply seeking information.
    LinnAxis, Jan 27, 2005
  7. LinnAxis wrote:
    > Out of curiostiy, why be so rude?

    Whom are you talking to and what do you consider to be rude?
    It would be nice (not to mention standard practise) to provide some context.

    > If perhaps this question was better

    Which question? Your posting doesn't contain any question and doesn't
    reference any question either.

    > directed at a different newgroup. why not try to be helpful and, dare
    > I say, polite?

    You reap what you sow.
    If you would have had the minimal standard politeness of reading this NG for
    at least a week before contributing your own posting then you would have
    noticed that non-Perl questions are very much frowned upon in this
    community.

    > Certainly you must have better ways to direct your angst than at first
    > time posters who are simply seeking information.

    Being polite to someone who violates the most basic rules of nettiquette may
    be a virtue, but only very few people are saints, in particular if it
    happens for the gazillionth time.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Jan 27, 2005
  8. LinnAxis

    LinnAxis Guest

    I was the poster of the original question in this thread.
    I was referring to Tad McClellen .
    This is a newgroup, not a way of life.

    "violates the most basic rules of nettiquette" - a bit heavy handed for
    a newgroup posting.

    This thread bores me so I will continue no further.
    Clearly there are many people in this world who need distractions
    outside of the net.

    Regards.
    LinnAxis, Jan 27, 2005
  9. LinnAxis <> wrote:

    > Out of curiostiy, why be so rude?

    I assume that you are referring to my second post to this thread?

    It is standard netiquette to supply some context in replies so
    that people will know what it is that you are replying to.

    > If perhaps this question was better
    > directed at a different newgroup. why not try to be helpful and, dare I
    > say, polite?

    Hello! Is there anybody in there?

    My first post to this thread *was* helpful and polite.

    Did you see that one?

    It said you were in the wrong place, and showed you where the
    right place was.

    You characterized that as "unfriendly" in a followup.

    > Certainly you must have better ways to direct your angst

    My angst-containing post was my 2nd post, which was in reply
    to you whining about my helpfully friendly 1st post.

    So the answer to "why be so rude?" is because I was just
    responding to who FIRST introduced rudeness, namely you.

    You reap what you sow.

    > than at first
    > time posters

    When you were a first time poster, I answered in a friendly
    and polite manner.

    When you made a followup, you were no longer a first-time poster,
    you were a whiner.

    > who are simply seeking information.

    In the wrong place.

    Knowing where the right place is would seem to be very helpful
    in such a search. Take that help and run with it rather than
    denigrating the person who volunteered that help.

    Tad McClellan, Jan 27, 2005
  10. LinnAxis <> wrote:

    > I was referring to Tad McClellen .

    But I made 2 posts in this thead, so we *still* don't know
    what you were commenting on.

    If you quote what you are commenting on, then there is no
    round-and-round trying to figure out what it is in reference to.

    Why don't you just quote what you are commenting on like everybody
    else on Usenet does?

    > This is a newgroup, not a way of life.

    Newsgroups have their own set of rules about what is socially
    acceptable, if you do something socially unacceptable it is
    more reasonable to expect a comment on it rather than expecting
    that it will pass unnoticed.

    Secondly, an experience usenetter can see clearly from your posts in
    this thread that you are NOT an experienced usenetter, despite your
    implications to the contrary.

    Trying to fool us into thinking that you know what you are talking
    about in reference to Usenet netiquette isn't going to work. We
    are an insightful lot...

    > "violates the most basic rules of nettiquette" - a bit heavy handed for
    > a newgroup posting.

    How can "playing by the rules that everyone else plays by" be
    characterized as "heavy handed"? "normal" or "expected" would
    seem a more reasonable characterization.

    > This thread bores me so I will continue no further.

    Your thread has bored *thousands* of people around the world
    who are interested in Perl, because it was not _about_ Perl.

    The whole world will feel bad now because you won't participate
    any longer!

    > Clearly there are many people in this world who need distractions
    > outside of the net.

    Clearly there are people who claim to know a lot but do not know a lot.

    Tad McClellan, Jan 27, 2005