ASP Questions

m3ckon

Hi,

I have some ASP questions which I wanted answering (have an interview
comming up)

1) What is the difference between response.redirect and server.transfer

2) How can you deal with recodset paging using ASP?

3) What are the different locking type and cursors in ASP?

If anyone could help with these, please do

M3ckon

Roji. P. Thomas

1) What is the difference between response.redirect and server.transfer
Server.transfer happens in the server side.
Response.Redircet sends a 303, object moved HTTP status message to the
browser
and the browser does the redirection. So there is an extra network round
trip.

2) How can you deal with recodset paging using ASP?
http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2120

3) What are the different locking type and cursors in ASP?
Always use a disconnectedrecordset with ASP

m3ckon

thankyou

sorry to be greedy, but could you also tell me the benefit
of using a stored procedure in asp

over using a standard query??

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Roji. P. Thomas said:
3) What are the different locking type and cursors in ASP?
Always use a disconnectedrecordset with ASP

This is not true. The better advice is to always use the cheapest cursor and
locktype required to perform your task.

The cheapest cursor type is forward-only, and the cheapest lock type is
read-only. In the vast majority of cases, this is the type of cursor you
should be using in ASP. You should mainly be using cursors to retrieve data
for display only - no updates or addnews or deletes. SQL should be used to
perform data maintenance from ASP, not recordsets.

To disconnect a recordset, you have to use a more expensive client-side
static cursor. You should only do this when you need to use the more
resource-intensive properties and methods of the recordset (UpdateBatch,
Filter, Find, Sort, etc.). It should be very rare that you need to do this
in ASP.

Bob Barrows