    3) What are the different locking type and cursors in ASP?

    If anyone could help with these, please do

    M3ckon

    m3ckon, Jun 17, 2004

  2. 1) What is the difference between response.redirect and server.transfer
    Server.transfer happens in the server side.
    Response.Redircet sends a 303, object moved HTTP status message to the
    browser
    and the browser does the redirection. So there is an extra network round
    trip.

    2) How can you deal with recodset paging using ASP?
    http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2120

    3) What are the different locking type and cursors in ASP?
    Always use a disconnectedrecordset with ASP

    --
    Roji. P. Thomas
    SQL Server Programmer

    Roji. P. Thomas, Jun 17, 2004

  3. m3ckon

    m3ckon Guest

    thankyou

    sorry to be greedy, but could you also tell me the benefit
    of using a stored procedure in asp

    over using a standard query??

    m3ckon, Jun 17, 2004
  4. Bob Barrows [MVP], Jun 17, 2004
  5. http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~mark/527/lecture.2/lecture/tsld028.htm

    http://authors.aspalliance.com/wisemonk/view.aspx?id=AD030802

    And to get started with sps

    http://www.sql-server-performance.com/tn_stored_procedures.asp

    --
    Roji. P. Thomas
    SQL Server Programmer

    Roji. P. Thomas, Jun 17, 2004
  6. Roji. P. Thomas wrote:
    > 3) What are the different locking type and cursors in ASP?
    > Always use a disconnectedrecordset with ASP

    This is not true. The better advice is to always use the cheapest cursor and
    locktype required to perform your task.

    The cheapest cursor type is forward-only, and the cheapest lock type is
    read-only. In the vast majority of cases, this is the type of cursor you
    should be using in ASP. You should mainly be using cursors to retrieve data
    for display only - no updates or addnews or deletes. SQL should be used to
    perform data maintenance from ASP, not recordsets.

    To disconnect a recordset, you have to use a more expensive client-side
    static cursor. You should only do this when you need to use the more
    resource-intensive properties and methods of the recordset (UpdateBatch,
    Filter, Find, Sort, etc.). It should be very rare that you need to do this
    in ASP.

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET