ASP Reporting Application

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Brad, Nov 8, 2004.

  1. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Good morning,

    I have a need to develop a reporting application that has static and
    parameterized reports that I want my users to be able to access and retrieve
    through a web interface.

    I'm trying to find out the standard/preferred way of displaying reports. My
    original thought process pointed me towards generating xml files for the
    static reports and having standard xsl files to display them.

    How should I build the form-submitted report requests using asp? Should I
    generate xml from asp and have standard xsls for displaying them? Or should
    I iterate through the result recordsets and just build html with
    response.write?

    Essentially I'm just looking for a high level summary of how ASP reporting
    applications should be developed, and I feel confident that I could go from
    there.

    Thanks for your help!

    Brad, Nov 8, 2004

  2. "Brad" <> wrote in message
    > Good morning,
    >
    > I have a need to develop a reporting application that has static and
    > parameterized reports that I want my users to be able to access and
    > retrieve
    > through a web interface.
    >
    > I'm trying to find out the standard/preferred way of displaying reports.
    > My
    > original thought process pointed me towards generating xml files for the
    > static reports and having standard xsl files to display them.
    >
    > How should I build the form-submitted report requests using asp? Should I
    > generate xml from asp and have standard xsls for displaying them? Or
    > should
    > I iterate through the result recordsets and just build html with
    > response.write?
    >
    > Essentially I'm just looking for a high level summary of how ASP reporting
    > applications should be developed, and I feel confident that I could go
    > from
    > there.

    There is no one answer to this question. What's best is what works best for
    you, in your specific situation.

    If you have a need to use the data/reports for different purposes, the XML
    may be the way to go. On the other hand, if you don't know XML/XSL, the
    learning curve may be too great and not worth your time forthis particular
    project.

    --
    Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

    Tom Kaminski [MVP], Nov 8, 2004

  3. Brad

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    I would recommend using either Crystal Reports, or SQL Server Reporting
    Services

    Jeff

    Jeff Dillon, Nov 8, 2004
  4. Brad wrote:
    > Good morning,
    >
    > I have a need to develop a reporting application that has static and
    > parameterized reports that I want my users to be able to access and retrieve
    > through a web interface. I'm trying to find out the standard/preferred way of displaying reports.

    Most use ASP and output HTML.

    > My original thought process pointed me towards generating xml files for the
    > static reports and having standard xsl files to display them.
    > How should I build the form-submitted report requests using asp? Should I
    > generate xml from asp and have standard xsls for displaying them?

    Probably not.

    > Or should I iterate through the result recordsets and just build html with
    > response.write?

    Probably yes.

    > Essentially I'm just looking for a high level summary of how ASP reporting
    > applications should be developed, and I feel confident that I could go from
    > there.

    I'm assuming you know ASP already. If you don't, then use whatever tool
    you have at hand.

    If your boss recently bought a reporting package and expects you to use
    it, then you'd best do so.

    IMO the term "reports" is somewhat dated. I associate it with mainframe
    or Windows/Novell client/server environments. On the WWW HTML is by far
    he most common display format. Other formats (PDF, DOC, TXT, etc.) are
    available but not nearly so common, nor are they as easy to use.

    Good Luck,
    Michael D. Kersey

    Michael D. Kersey, Nov 9, 2004
  5. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Thanks for the feedback.

    Brad, Nov 9, 2004
  6. Brad

    Guest Guest

    No, they don't. Most use a report writer system. HTML is hard-coded at
    best, and requires a developer, and is inflexible. "Now, can you add a
    "date" column? Rewrite the query, rewrite the ASP, and rewrite the HTML.
    "Now, can you add the zip code?".. etc etc

    Jeff

    Guest, Nov 12, 2004