ASP Script

dewmanna

I am a novice web page designer, by most standards. I have a job designing
web pages. I am a FrontPage 2003 user. I want to use the .ASP extensions on
my Personal Web Server by Hotmetal Pro.
Hotmetal Pro will let you use any extension by selection. However, I do not
have any .ASP server side script.

Point: I want to know where do you get the script (ASP) for your server that
allows users to utilize programs that use ASP? I want to install the language
(ASP) onto my personal server so that I can experiment with creating .ASP web
pages.

Can any body help me? Or am I confusing you!

Scott M.

I think you need to understand a few things here:

First (as an FYI) these newsgroups are for Microsoft's .NET platform. In
that platform, the type of pages you would use would be .aspx files. It
sounds like you are asking about the predesessor of this technology, which
we now refer to as "Classic ASP" (pages that use an .asp extension).

In order to be able to execute the scripts that are embedded in Classic ASP
pages, you need a web server that supports this technology. I don't believe
that the Hotmetal server does (although I could be wrong). Microsoft's
Internet Information Server (IIS) does by default and this server is
included with Windows NT 4.0, 2000 Pro. and XP Pro. You don't use a script
on your web server to enable it to be able to run classic asp scripts. The
sever is either capable of this or it isn't.

dewmanna

Thanks Alot Scott,
That answer helps me understand somewhat. Now how
would I go about getting, Microsoft's Internet Information Server, so that I
can install it? I do not want to offend anybody (FYI) when I ask for help. I
did not even know what category to look under. I am a Service Connected
Disabled veteran and I have been unable to get a job due to my disability. I
redefine my existence each day! I recently was able to get a part time job
maintaining a web page for someone. I am getting less and less hours per
week. I need to improve my knowledge of this Frontpage 2003, by utiliziing a
web server that supports the ASP and ASP.NET. If I can master this FrontPage
2003 environment. I can see myself earning more income by creating robust
website templates that are database driven and client side accessable. This
is why I am seeking a work environment for testing and deploying web sites. I
have no money. I am disabled with a family of five. So I am looking for
resources that are free and compatible.

Thanks Again,
Steve

Scott M.

As I said, Internet Information Server is included with Windows NT 4.0, 2000
Pro. and XP Pro. - It can't be aquired separately. Another Microsoft Web
Server that supports Classic ASP is the Personal Web Server 4.0. Microsoft
does not offer or support this server anymore, but you may still be able to
find it as part of the "Windows NT Option Pack". A Google search for this
may turn up a download site.

Outside of these 2 Microsoft web servers, you will have to find a 3rd party
web server that supports Classic ASP.

While FrontPage 2003 is a fine product, it is not what web developers use
generally for programming server-side code. It is a good tool for client
development, but given that Classic ASP is really considered "yesterday's
news" and that .NET is the new standard for server-side development (from a
MS point of view), you should consider moving to .NET and ASP.NET, which
requires a .NET development environment (Visual Studio .NET or one of the
"2005 Express Editions"). The latter is available for free at:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vb/

Good luck!

-Scott