    (ASP) onto my personal server so that I can experiment with creating .ASP web
    pages.

    Can any body help me? Or am I confusing you!
    dewmanna, Feb 8, 2006

  2. dewmanna

    Scott M. Guest

    I think you need to understand a few things here:

    First (as an FYI) these newsgroups are for Microsoft's .NET platform. In
    that platform, the type of pages you would use would be .aspx files. It
    sounds like you are asking about the predesessor of this technology, which
    we now refer to as "Classic ASP" (pages that use an .asp extension).

    In order to be able to execute the scripts that are embedded in Classic ASP
    pages, you need a web server that supports this technology. I don't believe
    that the Hotmetal server does (although I could be wrong). Microsoft's
    Internet Information Server (IIS) does by default and this server is
    included with Windows NT 4.0, 2000 Pro. and XP Pro. You don't use a script
    on your web server to enable it to be able to run classic asp scripts. The
    sever is either capable of this or it isn't.

    Scott M., Feb 8, 2006

  3. dewmanna

    dewmanna Guest

    Thanks Alot Scott,
    That answer helps me understand somewhat. Now how
    would I go about getting, Microsoft's Internet Information Server, so that I
    can install it? I do not want to offend anybody (FYI) when I ask for help. I
    did not even know what category to look under. I am a Service Connected
    Disabled veteran and I have been unable to get a job due to my disability. I
    redefine my existence each day! I recently was able to get a part time job
    maintaining a web page for someone. I am getting less and less hours per
    week. I need to improve my knowledge of this Frontpage 2003, by utiliziing a
    web server that supports the ASP and ASP.NET. If I can master this FrontPage
    2003 environment. I can see myself earning more income by creating robust
    website templates that are database driven and client side accessable. This
    is why I am seeking a work environment for testing and deploying web sites. I
    have no money. I am disabled with a family of five. So I am looking for
    resources that are free and compatible.

    Thanks Again,
    Steve

    dewmanna, Feb 8, 2006
  4. dewmanna

    Scott M. Guest

    As I said, Internet Information Server is included with Windows NT 4.0, 2000
    Pro. and XP Pro. - It can't be aquired separately. Another Microsoft Web
    Server that supports Classic ASP is the Personal Web Server 4.0. Microsoft
    does not offer or support this server anymore, but you may still be able to
    find it as part of the "Windows NT Option Pack". A Google search for this
    may turn up a download site.

    Outside of these 2 Microsoft web servers, you will have to find a 3rd party
    web server that supports Classic ASP.

    While FrontPage 2003 is a fine product, it is not what web developers use
    generally for programming server-side code. It is a good tool for client
    development, but given that Classic ASP is really considered "yesterday's
    news" and that .NET is the new standard for server-side development (from a
    MS point of view), you should consider moving to .NET and ASP.NET, which
    requires a .NET development environment (Visual Studio .NET or one of the
    "2005 Express Editions"). The latter is available for free at:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vb/

    Good luck!

    -Scott

    Scott M., Feb 9, 2006