ASP scripting language query

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Placek, Jan 24, 2006.

  1. Placek

    Placek Guest

    Hello

    Are the 3 script tags below all client-side javascript? If not, what are
    they? If they are client-side javascript, why the different syntax (ie.
    <SCRIPT>,
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2">, <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">)?

    Also, the syntax <%@ language=.... %> has been ommitted. Why is this, i
    thought this was not allowed? Thanks

    <SCRIPT>
    function transform_url()
    {
    var suppress_host = false;

    // an array to facilate searching of URL arguments
    // callee wishes to preserve
    var preserve = new Array;

    // 'id' is a parameter we preserve by default
    preserve['id'] = true;

    // enumerate the array with arguments
    for (i = 0; i < arguments.length; i++)
    {
    if (arguments == 'SuppressHost')
    suppress_host = true;
    else
    preserve[arguments] = true;
    }

    // start constructing new URL
    newurl = new String;
    with (location)
    {
    if (suppress_host)
    newurl += pathname.substr(1);
    else
    newurl += protocol + '//' + hostname + pathname;
    }

    // process the URL parameters
    // string the leading '?' character if it exists
    var parameters = (location.search.substr(0, 1) == '?') ?
    location.search.substr(1) : location.search;
    var params = parameters.split('&');
    for (i = 0; i < params.length; i++)
    {
    nvpair = params.split('=');
    if (nvpair.length >= 1) // check for valid name/value pair
    {
    if (preserve[nvpair[0]])
    {
    // append this parameter if callee
    // specified it to be preserved
    newurl += '_' + nvpair[0] + ((nvpair.length == 2) ? ('=' +
    nvpair[1]) : '');

    return newurl;
    }

    </SCRIPT>
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2">
    <!--
    var wtl_imgarray = new Array;
    var wtl_ptr = 0;
    function wtl_Tag6(wtl_TagID,wtl_SID,wtl_URL,wtl_Title,CONTENTGROUP)
    {
    function wtl_createImage(wtl_src)
    {
    if (document.images)
    {
    wtl_imgarray[wtl_ptr] = new Image;
    wtl_imgarray[wtl_ptr].src = wtl_src;
    wtl_ptr++;
    function D8( d)
    {
    var fwd=1, seed= new Date('01/01/2000'), key=
    "0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz";
    var s= key.charAt( d.getFullYear()-2000)+key.charAt(
    d.getMonth()+1)+key.charAt( d.getDate());
    s+= key.charAt( d.getHours())+key.charAt( d.getMinutes())+key.charAt(
    d.getSeconds());
    while( seed.getDay()!=fwd) seed= new Date(seed.getTime() + 86400000);
    var w= Math.floor( (d.getTime()-(seed.getTime()+86400000)) / 604800000 );
    s+= key.charAt( (w-(w%16))/16 );
    s+= key.charAt( w%16);
    return s;
    }
    function A( B, C)
    {
    W+="&"+B+"="+escape(C);
    }
    var t = new Date();
    var
    W="http"+(window.location.protocol.indexOf('https:')==0?'s':'')+"://statse.webtrendslive.com/S"
    + wtl_SID + "/button6.asp?tagver=" + wtl_TagVer + "&si=" + wtl_TagID + "&fw="
    + wtl_FWD;
    A( "server", typeof(SERVER)== "string" ? SERVER : "");
    A( "order", typeof(ORDER)== "string" ? ORDER : "");
    A( "Group", typeof(CONTENTGROUP)== "string" ? CONTENTGROUP : "");
    A( "invoice", typeof(INVOICE)== "string" ? INVOICE : "");
    A( "cartview", typeof(CARTVIEW)== "string" ? CARTVIEW : "");
    A( "cartadd", typeof(CARTADD)== "string" ? CARTADD : "");
    A( "cartremove", typeof(CARTREMOVE)== "string" ? CARTREMOVE : "");
    A( "checkout", typeof(CHECKOUT)== "string" ? CHECKOUT : "");
    A( "cartbuy", typeof(CARTBUY)== "string" ? CARTBUY : "");
    A( "adcampaign", typeof(ADCAMPAIGN)== "string" ? ADCAMPAIGN : "");
    A( "tz", t.getTimezoneOffset());
    A( "ch", t.getHours());
    A( "cl", D8(t));
    A( "ti", wtl_Title);
    A( "url", wtl_URL);
    A( "rf", window.document.referrer);
    A( "js", "Yes");
    A( "ul", navigator.appName=="Netscape" ? navigator.language :
    navigator.userLanguage);
    if(typeof(screen)=="object")
    {
    A( "sr", screen.width+"x"+screen.height);
    A( "cd", screen.colorDepth);
    A( "jo", navigator.javaEnabled() ? "Yes" : "No");
    }
    if( W.length>2048 && navigator.userAgent.indexOf('MSIE')>=0)
    W= W.substring( 0, 2043)+"&tu=1";
    wtl_createImage(W);
    }
    //-->
    </SCRIPT>
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
    <!--
    var wtl_TagVer = 6;
    var wtl_FWD = 0;
    var wtl_url = transform_url('vlnk','more','all');
    var wtl_title = document.title;
    var wtl_TagID = 139171;
    var wtl_SID = "139171";
    var ORDER= "";
    var SERVER= "";
    var CONTENTGROUP= "NS- Dataset, " +
    transform_url('SuppressHost','vlnk','more','all');
    var INVOICE= "";
    var CARTVIEW= "";
    var CARTADD= "";
    var CARTREMOVE= "";
    var CHECKOUT= "";
    var CARTBUY= "";
    var ADCAMPAIGN= "";

    Placek, Jan 24, 2006

  2. > <SCRIPT>
    > function transform_url()
    > </SCRIPT>

    That's client-side script. Language is unspecified, which is a pretty bad
    practice.

    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2">
    That's specifiying the version of Javascript. If an old browser loads this,
    it'll decide, "I don't know what 'Javascript1.2' is, so I'll just ignore
    this."

    > <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

    That's just specifying Javascript without worrying about the version.
    Unless you're writing stuff that's only available in certain versions of
    Javascript, this is generally fine to use, although the more encouraged way
    of doing it is:

    <script type="text/javascript">
    </script>

    The ommission of <%@ Language... thing. Well, that has nothing to do with
    the CLIENT-SIDE javascript you asked about. But, as far as ommitting that,
    that's fine to do, as the page will use the default language that's defined
    in IIS, which is VBScript in a default configuration.

    In the future, feel free to trim away the four hundred million lines and a
    half of javascript when you're asking only about the <script> tags.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Jan 24, 2006

  3. Placek

    Placek Guest

    Ray

    Appreciate your response.....will chop away uneeded code next time. You
    say ommitting <%@ language=.... %> defaults to vbscript.....does this mean
    the first script in my post is client-side vbscript?

    Thansk

    Placek, Jan 24, 2006
  4. Placek wrote:
    > Ray
    >
    > Appreciate your response.....will chop away uneeded code next time.
    > You say ommitting <%@ language=.... %> defaults to vbscript.....does
    > this mean the first script in my post is client-side vbscript?

    No. The <%@ tag applies to server-side code. Leaving out that tag means that
    the language in server-side code will be expected to be vbscript (the
    default unless a configuration setting is changed at the web site level
    using IIS Mgr). The default for client-side code is typically javascript
    unless otherwise specified.

    Server-side code is enclosed in <% ... %> tags or contained in a
    <script runat=server> ... </script> block. Anything else is client-side
    code.

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jan 24, 2006
  5. Ray Costanzo [MVP] wrote:
    > <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2">
    > That's specifiying the version of Javascript. If an old browser
    > loads this, it'll decide, "I don't know what 'Javascript1.2' is, so
    > I'll just ignore this."
    >

    >> <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

    > That's just specifying Javascript without worrying about the version.
    > Unless you're writing stuff that's only available in certain versions
    > of Javascript, this is generally fine to use, although the more
    > encouraged way of doing it is:

    Interesting piece of trivia here, Ray.

    When Netscape implemented Javascript 1.2, they introduced a nasty bug. The
    equality operator would substitute for the assignment operator in
    conditionals:

    if (a=b) // treated like: if (a==b)

    That bug was fixed in 1.3.

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Jan 24, 2006
  6. Good Lord. You'd think that in testing a new version of a language, someone
    may have used "if" once or twice. :]

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Jan 25, 2006