ASP scripts won't run after installing SP2

owen_meany

I just installed SP2.

now my .asp scripts won't run. .aspx scripts run fine. It's just .asp
for some reason. I keep getting the following error:

"Either a required impersonation level was not provided, or the
provided impersonation level is invalid."

I've tried deactivating the windows xp firewall, and that didn't help.

I'm perplexed and I can't roll my system back.

Any ideas?

Dan

larrybud2002

I just installed SP2.

now my .asp scripts won't run. .aspx scripts run fine. It's just ..asp
for some reason. I keep getting the following error:

"Either a required impersonation level was not provided, or the
provided impersonation level is invalid."

Google that exact phase, you get a bunch of hits. (don't you guys try
that first??)

yummypupu

I did. I went through AT LEAST 50 of the links and none solved my
problem. just b/c you get a lot of hits doesn't mean you get answers.
Care to enlighten me? Or are you just being a jerk.

Mark Schupp

Care to enlighten me? Or are you just being a jerk.
Good luck getting assistance after that!
I've never seen that error so I can't help much. Sounds like a permission
issue somewhere.

larrybud2002

I did. I went through AT LEAST 50 of the links and none solved my
problem. just b/c you get a lot of hits doesn't mean you get answers.
Care to enlighten me? Or are you just being a jerk.

I'm being a jerk because I point out all the hits? Why don't you
enlighten us and tell us what you tried that didn't work so we don't
waste our time telling you the same shit?

yummypupu

Good luck getting assistance after that!
I've never seen that error so I can't help much. Sounds like a permission
issue somewhere.

I know I was testy, but i fail to see how providing no useful
information and telling someone to just google it is helpful.

I've looked through 4guysfromrolla, Aspfaq, asp101, groups.google,
google, askgeeves, micorosoft, and yahoo and haven't found an answer
yet.

Like you , I assumed it was a permissions issue, so I've given everyone
full control permissions on every folder. It still won't work. I'm
stumped. Which is why I thought someone here could help.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

I know I was testy, but i fail to see how providing no useful
information and telling someone to just google it is helpful.

I've looked through 4guysfromrolla, Aspfaq, asp101, groups.google,
google, askgeeves, micorosoft, and yahoo and haven't found an answer
yet.

Like you , I assumed it was a permissions issue, so I've given
everyone full control permissions on every folder. It still won't
work. I'm stumped. Which is why I thought someone here could help.

Basically, you get help in proportion to the amount of information you
provide about your problem.

In your case, you gave us an error message, and described one thing you had
tried to fix it. No information about what gave you the idea to try what you
did, what searches you had tried, what blind alleys the searches had led you
up, and worst: no code to allow us to attempt to reproduce the problem.

Based on that, the only possible reply we can give (especially since this
problem is not one that many of us have encountered - I know I've never seen
this error) is a suggestion to google. We're not miracle workers. And we are
not psychic enough to be able to deduce that you have already tried google
with no meaningful results. Based on what Larry said, googling that phrase
returns a lot of hits. You should tell us why none of the hits are relevant
to your problem. We're not psychic.

When you say you gave "everyone" control, did you include the Internet Guest
Account?

My suggestion would be to reinstall IIS.

Bob Barrows

yummypupu

In your case, you gave us an error message, and described one thing
you had
tried to fix it. No information about what gave you the idea to try what you
did, what searches you had tried, what blind alleys the searches had led you
up, and worst: no code to allow us to attempt to reproduce the
problem.

Well, I've listed the places I've checked. I didn't list anything I"ve
tried b/c just about every google link was a list of error codes. None
of them provided any solutions or suggestions in case you ever get this
error code.

I've re-installed IIS based on your suggestion, and that didn't work.

I've tried every combination of user rights I can think of. Right now,
I've granted full permissions to IUSR, IWAM, administrator, and system.

Still no joy.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Well, I've listed the places I've checked. I didn't list anything
I"ve tried b/c just about every google link was a list of error
codes. None of them provided any solutions or suggestions in case
you ever get this error code.

I've re-installed IIS based on your suggestion, and that didn't work.

I've tried every combination of user rights I can think of. Right
now, I've granted full permissions to IUSR, IWAM, administrator, and
system.

Still no joy.

Well, I've just tried my own google search and you are correct: there is no
information about this to be had anywhere.

Let's be clear: no asp code runs? How about a simple <%response.write "Hello
world"%> page? If a simple page such as this produces your error, it sounds
as if you are going to have to make a call to MS Product Support. If this
turns out to be a bug, you will not be charged for the call.

If the simple page runs, then you are going to need to determine exactly
what code raises that error. Are you using xmlhttprequest anywhere?

Bob Barrows

Dave Anderson

Like you , I assumed it was a permissions issue, so I've given
everyone full control permissions on every folder. It still won't
work. I'm stumped. Which is why I thought someone here could help.

We saw something similar on a handful of Server 2003 machines after applying
SP1 last week. Moving the web root to a folder outside the entire \inetpub\
tree worked, so we assumed it was a permission problem. We then found that
we could fix the problem by removing IIS and reinstalling it. This did not
require deletion of the Inetpub file structure, so it probably can't hurt
you to try this.

--
Dave Anderson

yummypupu

Let's be clear: no asp code runs? How about a simple <%response.write
"Hello
world"%> page? If a simple page such as this produces your error, it sounds
as if you are going to have to make a call to MS Product Support. If this
turns out to be a bug, you will not be charged for the call.

That is correct. Even a simple "Hello World" script brings up the
error message.

This is very frustrating.