    just the occassional test as I develop sites - not looking to spam and
    have a fairly full featured router to block external access to SMTP
    machine so its not abused.

    tamaker, Dec 11, 2007

  2. "tamaker" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have Road Runner cable internet access and Im working in a local
    > development environment (writing .ASP) and have a site running on my
    > network on a windows xp pro machine via IIS with CDONTS installed.
    >
    > When I try to send a confirmation email (simple text) via CDONTS the
    > message is built but remains on the server in the QUEUE folder ... how
    > can I tweak the SMTP settings on the server to allow me to send email
    > out from the server...
    >
    > just the occassional test as I develop sites - not looking to spam and
    > have a fairly full featured router to block external access to SMTP
    > machine so its not abused.

    Check the logs. Most likely your ISP is blocking it. Some don't allow SMTP
    traffic to port 25 except to their own servers. This makes it more
    difficult for SPAMBOTs.

    BTW, use CDOSYS not CDONTS its deprecated on Win2000/XP.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Dec 11, 2007

  3. tamaker

    tamaker Guest

    On Dec 11, 12:21 pm, "Anthony Jones" <> wrote:
    > "tamaker" <> wrote in message

    > > I have Road Runner cable internet access and Im working in a local
    > > development environment (writing .ASP) and have a site running on my
    > > network on a windows xp pro machine via IIS with CDONTS installed.

    > > When I try to send a confirmation email (simple text) via CDONTS the
    > > message is built but remains on the server in the QUEUE folder ... how
    > > can I tweak the SMTP settings on the server to allow me to send email
    > > out from the server...

    > > just the occassional test as I develop sites - not looking to spam and
    > > have a fairly full featured router to block external access to SMTP
    > > machine so its not abused.

    > Check the logs. Most likely your ISP is blocking it. Some don't allow SMTP
    > traffic to port 25 except to their own servers. This makes it more
    > difficult for SPAMBOTs.
    >
    > BTW, use CDOSYS not CDONTS its deprecated on Win2000/XP.
    >
    > --
    > Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Thanks for the reply (and note re: multi posting -- my bad.)...
    Followup question: is there a work around (changing the port) that
    might allow me to use cdonts ( and would moving to CDOSYS - which I'll
    do anyway prior to launch of the application/site) make working around
    the ISP port blocking issue any less of a problem?)

    Thanks again.

    tamaker, Dec 12, 2007

    > > > I have Road Runner cable internet access and Im working in a local
    > > > development environment (writing .ASP) and have a site running on my
    > > > network on a windows xp pro machine via IIS with CDONTS installed.

    > > > When I try to send a confirmation email (simple text) via CDONTS the
    > > > message is built but remains on the server in the QUEUE folder ... how
    > > > can I tweak the SMTP settings on the server to allow me to send email
    > > > out from the server...

    > > > just the occassional test as I develop sites - not looking to spam and
    > > > have a fairly full featured router to block external access to SMTP
    > > > machine so its not abused.

    > > Check the logs. Most likely your ISP is blocking it. Some don't allow

    SMTP
    > > traffic to port 25 except to their own servers. This makes it more
    > > difficult for SPAMBOTs.
    > >
    > > BTW, use CDOSYS not CDONTS its deprecated on Win2000/XP.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    > Thanks for the reply (and note re: multi posting -- my bad.)...
    > Followup question: is there a work around (changing the port) that
    > might allow me to use cdonts ( and would moving to CDOSYS - which I'll
    > do anyway prior to launch of the application/site) make working around
    > the ISP port blocking issue any less of a problem?)

    Nope the port 25 is the port that the SMTP server is listening on. You
    can't change that its on someone elses server.

    Nope CDOSYS won't fix this either (else I wouldn't have prefixed BTW).

    For testing purpose why don't you configure your code to use your ISPs SMTP
    server directly?

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Dec 13, 2007