ASP sending form via email - CDONTS / SMTP problem

tamaker

I have Road Runner cable internet access and Im working in a local
development environment (writing .ASP) and have a site running on my
network on a windows xp pro machine via IIS with CDONTS installed.

When I try to send a confirmation email (simple text) via CDONTS the
message is built but remains on the server in the QUEUE folder ... how
can I tweak the SMTP settings on the server to allow me to send email
out from the server...

just the occassional test as I develop sites - not looking to spam and
have a fairly full featured router to block external access to SMTP
machine so its not abused.

Anthony Jones

tamaker said:
I have Road Runner cable internet access and Im working in a local
development environment (writing .ASP) and have a site running on my
network on a windows xp pro machine via IIS with CDONTS installed.

When I try to send a confirmation email (simple text) via CDONTS the
message is built but remains on the server in the QUEUE folder ... how
can I tweak the SMTP settings on the server to allow me to send email
out from the server...

just the occassional test as I develop sites - not looking to spam and
have a fairly full featured router to block external access to SMTP
machine so its not abused.

Check the logs. Most likely your ISP is blocking it. Some don't allow SMTP
traffic to port 25 except to their own servers. This makes it more
difficult for SPAMBOTs.

BTW, use CDOSYS not CDONTS its deprecated on Win2000/XP.

tamaker

Check the logs. Most likely your ISP is blocking it. Some don't allow SMTP
traffic to port 25 except to their own servers. This makes it more
difficult for SPAMBOTs.

BTW, use CDOSYS not CDONTS its deprecated on Win2000/XP.

Thanks for the reply (and note re: multi posting -- my bad.)...
Followup question: is there a work around (changing the port) that
might allow me to use cdonts ( and would moving to CDOSYS - which I'll
do anyway prior to launch of the application/site) make working around
the ISP port blocking issue any less of a problem?)

Thanks again.

Anthony Jones

tamaker said:
Thanks for the reply (and note re: multi posting -- my bad.)...
Followup question: is there a work around (changing the port) that
might allow me to use cdonts ( and would moving to CDOSYS - which I'll
do anyway prior to launch of the application/site) make working around
the ISP port blocking issue any less of a problem?)

Nope the port 25 is the port that the SMTP server is listening on. You
can't change that its on someone elses server.

Nope CDOSYS won't fix this either (else I wouldn't have prefixed BTW).

For testing purpose why don't you configure your code to use your ISPs SMTP
server directly?