ASP -- Server.CreateObject("MSWC.NextLink" problem on Vista with IIS 7

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by John Connic, Jul 16, 2007.

  1. John Connic

    John Connic Guest

    Hi All:

    I just setup a new machine with Vista Business Edition and IIS 7.
    I had to turn on IIS 7 attributes including the IIS Manager. Not sure what
    options I needed I turn them all on that even remotely look like I might
    need them.

    The IIS Manager looks total foreign to me but eventually I figure how to add
    a virtual folder. I then started making script files in html, javascript and
    vbscript. I would run them through IIS 7 using the URL:
    http://localhost/../filename. This all worked fine and I was able to try
    most of the code that I had used on IIS 6 under XP.

    I then start adding ASP server-side calls to the script. I tried several
    objects: Request, Response..etc. and they worked fine. The problem started
    when I started using the Server object.

    In particular when I added the line:

    objCLC = Server.CreateObject("MSWC.NextLink")

    When I add this line the Web Browser indicates that there is server problem.
    I believe that these calls are from an activex object so is it possible that
    somewhere in the IIS 7 configuration I haven't allow permission for activex
    objects?

    Any help will be greatly appreciated

    John Connic, Jul 16, 2007

  2. John Connic

    John Connic Guest

    Hi Jon:

    I did check for it in the system32 folder and it was not their. Is there
    somewhere else I should look?
    Also, if it is not there what do I do to get installed. I have Vista
    Business Edition and in the install/open section under the Control Panel I
    checked all the options including "ASP.NET", shouldn't that install it ?

    John Connic, Jul 16, 2007

  3. John wrote on Mon, 16 Jul 2007 10:17:30 -0400:

    > Hi All:
    >
    > I just setup a new machine with Vista Business Edition and IIS 7.
    > I had to turn on IIS 7 attributes including the IIS Manager. Not sure what
    > options I needed I turn them all on that even remotely look like I might
    > need them.
    >
    > The IIS Manager looks total foreign to me but eventually I figure how to
    > add a virtual folder. I then started making script files in html,
    > javascript and vbscript. I would run them through IIS 7 using the URL:
    > http://localhost/../filename. This all worked fine and I was able to try
    > most of the code that I had used on IIS 6 under XP.
    >
    > I then start adding ASP server-side calls to the script. I tried several
    > objects: Request, Response..etc. and they worked fine. The problem started
    > when I started using the Server object.
    >
    > In particular when I added the line:
    >
    > objCLC = Server.CreateObject("MSWC.NextLink")
    >
    > When I add this line the Web Browser indicates that there is server
    > problem. I believe that these calls are from an activex object so is it
    > possible that somewhere in the IIS 7 configuration I haven't allow
    > permission for activex objects?
    >
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated

    The MSWC components were part of the old IIS Resource Kit installation, they
    are not shipped with IIS. They were also part of PWS. Unless you can find
    the old installation for IIS4 you won't be able to get this running on your
    IIS7 setup, and even if you do find the old installation files there's no
    guarantee that they'll work.

    Dan

    Daniel Crichton, Jul 17, 2007
  4. John Connic

    John Connic Guest

    Hi Dan:

    Thanks for your help. So what you are saying IIS 7.0 doesn't fully support
    ASP and that there is some other mechanism for creating objects! Is this
    also true that you can not create any objects with server.createobject or is
    next link the only case?

    I did look on my XP machine which I believe has IIS5 and the nextlink dll is
    there. As far I know I didn't install a IIS SDK to make this happen. It is
    possible that I have put a VS SDK on this machine at some time. Maybe there
    is IIS7 SDK ?

    John Connic, Jul 17, 2007
  5. John Connic wrote:
    > Hi Dan:
    >
    > Thanks for your help. So what you are saying IIS 7.0 doesn't fully
    > support ASP

    No, what he is saying is it might not support "stuff" that was included
    after-the-fact, such as the MSWC components. I've been developing with
    ASP for years and i've never used these things.

    And given the new ASP.Net world, you are unlikely to get much sympathy
    for the failure to support deprecated components.

    > and that there is some other mechanism for creating
    > objects!

    Huh? How did you come to that interpretation?

    > Is this also true that you can not create any objects with
    > server.createobject or is next link the only case?

    Read what he said closely: NextLink _might_ be _one of_ the relevant
    cases. The only way to find out is to make sure it is properly
    installed.
    Server.CreateObject works fine for properly installed, supported, dlls

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 17, 2007
  6. John wrote on Tue, 17 Jul 2007 08:45:58 -0400:

    > Hi Dan:
    >
    > Thanks for your help. So what you are saying IIS 7.0 doesn't fully support
    > ASP and that there is some other mechanism for creating objects! Is this
    > also true that you can not create any objects with server.createobject or
    > is next link the only case?

    IIS7 doesn't ship with the MSWC components. I use ASP and
    Server.CreateObject without problems on IIS7 and IIS6 - but I know that I
    don't have the MSWC components, so I know that calls to those won't work.
    IIS fully supports ASP - but it doesn't let you instantiate components if
    they're not installed!

    > I did look on my XP machine which I believe has IIS5 and the nextlink dll
    > is there. As far I know I didn't install a IIS SDK to make this happen. It
    > is possible that I have put a VS SDK on this machine at some time. Maybe
    > there is IIS7 SDK ?

    Are you sure you didn't install the components from elsewhere on that other
    machine? I have XP on my PC right here and there is no nextlink.dll, and I
    do have IIS5 installed. I haven't installed the SDK, or the Resource Kit
    tools.

    Dan

    Daniel Crichton, Jul 17, 2007
  7. John Connic

    John Connic Guest

    Hi Bob:

    Whoa ..............somebody wake up on the wrong side of the bed.

    Sorry to alienate you with the statement that IIS 7 doesn't fully support
    ASP. I have done some
    research at the Microsoft Web Site about this before sending this post.
    The statement:
    objCLC = Server.CreateObject("MSWC.NextLink")
    is fully document as part of the ASP API. Therefore I would conclude as
    would anybody in the software community that the call should work. It
    doesn't, as least not with MSWC.NextLink. The reason for this is that for
    whatever reason the nextlink.dll is not included in the IIS 7.0
    distribution.
    Therefore anybody who wrote a script using this call at sometime in the past
    with a IIS version that did have this dll included would now have a
    backward-compatibility problem. That usually means that the newer IIS's
    don't support that call and if it doesn't support that call it doesn't fully
    support ASP. Notice I said ASP not ASP.Net.

    The fact that you haven't used it is not important, Microsoft didn't come up
    with ASP just for your use. They marketed it as software product for whole
    community. I think your just caught up in this thing that no matter what new
    techology that Microsoft comes out with is just great and forget about
    supporting the previous version.

    I don't know, or care, how you make a living but if I was to use the terms
    like: "maybe", "might be" ..etc, with a customer I would soon be out of
    business. It is Microsoft's responsibility to support their legacy products
    for a reasonably amount of and indicate when they don't support.

    By the way Bob, is "stuff" a new technical term??

    Now to issue at hand, do you or one of your Microsoft cronies know where I
    can get this nextlink.dll that is causing the problem. Now from what Dan
    told me the server.createobject(..) construct appears to work OK but not
    with "MSWC.NextLink".

    Finally, is there another way, Bob- another word for mechanism, that I can
    expose this functionality!!

    John Connic, Jul 17, 2007
  8. John Connic

    Mike Brind Guest

    > John wrote on Tue, 17 Jul 2007 08:45:58 -0400:
    >
    >> Hi Dan:
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help. So what you are saying IIS 7.0 doesn't fully
    >> support
    >> ASP and that there is some other mechanism for creating objects! Is this
    >> also true that you can not create any objects with server.createobject or
    >> is next link the only case?

    > IIS7 doesn't ship with the MSWC components. I use ASP and
    > Server.CreateObject without problems on IIS7 and IIS6 - but I know that I
    > don't have the MSWC components, so I know that calls to those won't work.
    > IIS fully supports ASP - but it doesn't let you instantiate components if
    > they're not installed!
    >
    >> I did look on my XP machine which I believe has IIS5 and the nextlink dll
    >> is there. As far I know I didn't install a IIS SDK to make this happen.
    >> It
    >> is possible that I have put a VS SDK on this machine at some time. Maybe
    >> there is IIS7 SDK ?

    > Are you sure you didn't install the components from elsewhere on that
    > other machine? I have XP on my PC right here and there is no nextlink.dll,
    > and I do have IIS5 installed. I haven't installed the SDK, or the Resource
    > Kit tools.

    Mine appears in C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv on XP Pro with IIS 5.1. I
    didn't knowingly install the SDK, unless it goes in as part of the full
    install for IIS.

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, Jul 17, 2007
  9. John Connic

    Mike Brind Guest

    "John Connic" <> wrote in message

    > Now to issue at hand, do you or one of your Microsoft cronies know where I
    > can get this nextlink.dll that is causing the problem. Now from what Dan
    > told me the server.createobject(..) construct appears to work OK but not
    > with "MSWC.NextLink".

    You can google 'nextlink.dll', and plenty of sites offer downloads:
    http://www.dllbank.com/n/nextlink.dll-download.html, for example. Or you
    can find an older machine that has it and copy it from there, registering it
    on your new machine.

    Server.CreateObject("...") will work for any installed and registered dll,
    as Bob said.

    MSWC was never "part of" ASP. It was a library of components that you could
    use from ASP. That's why you have to use the built-in ASP Server object to
    instantiate objects from the MSWC library.

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, Jul 17, 2007
  10. "Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote:
    >> Thanks for your help. So what you are saying IIS 7.0 doesn't fully
    >> support ASP

    > No, what he is saying is it might not support "stuff" that was
    > included after-the-fact, such as the MSWC components. I've been
    > developing with ASP for years and i've never used these things.

    This was my initial reaction, as well. But then I saw this:

    Deprecated and Obsolete IIS Features

    IIS 7 will no longer support the following features found in
    version 6:

    The ASP Content Rotator and Nextlink components are
    unavailable because these are rarely used items.

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa480184.aspx#inteinfoser_topic10

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Jul 17, 2007
  11. John Connic

    John Connic Guest

    Hi Dave:

    Thanks for your input. You presented documented proof that IIS 7 no longer
    supports the
    ASP Content Rotator and Nextlink components.

    Conclusion to all of this is that the srver.createobject(...) construct is
    supported in IIS 7 but not the NextLink and Rotator, so whatever functions
    they exposed are not availiable.

    If that means that IIS 7 doesn't support ASP so be it. I have the answer to
    my question and what supports what in the world of Microsoft is a relative
    thing

    John Connic, Jul 18, 2007
  12. John Connic

    John Connic Guest

    Hi Mike:
    I have the same situation and don't remember installing any extra SDK's or
    libraries there.

    John Connic, Jul 18, 2007
  13. Mike wrote on Tue, 17 Jul 2007 18:51:47 +0100:

    > "Daniel Crichton" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> John wrote on Tue, 17 Jul 2007 08:45:58 -0400:
    >>
    >>> Hi Dan:
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your help. So what you are saying IIS 7.0 doesn't fully
    >>> support
    >>> ASP and that there is some other mechanism for creating objects! Is this
    >>> also true that you can not create any objects with server.createobject
    >>> or is next link the only case?

    >> IIS7 doesn't ship with the MSWC components. I use ASP and
    >> Server.CreateObject without problems on IIS7 and IIS6 - but I know that I
    >> don't have the MSWC components, so I know that calls to those won't work.
    >> IIS fully supports ASP - but it doesn't let you instantiate components if
    >> they're not installed!
    >>
    >>> I did look on my XP machine which I believe has IIS5 and the nextlink
    >>> dll is there. As far I know I didn't install a IIS SDK to make this
    >>> happen. It is possible that I have put a VS SDK on this machine at some
    >>> time. Maybe there is IIS7 SDK ?

    >> Are you sure you didn't install the components from elsewhere on that
    >> other machine? I have XP on my PC right here and there is no
    >> nextlink.dll, and I do have IIS5 installed. I haven't installed the SDK,
    >> or the Resource Kit tools.
    >>

    > Mine appears in C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv on XP Pro with IIS 5.1. I
    > didn't knowingly install the SDK, unless it goes in as part of the full
    > install for IIS.

    I searched for that DLL yesterday and nothing came up. I just checked that
    folder and it is in there :/

    It's also on my Windows 2003 Server and Windows 2000 Server IIS machines, so
    I guess it was dropped from IIS7 - or the file gets installed but not
    registered.

    Dan

    Daniel Crichton, Jul 18, 2007
  14. John wrote on Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:50:48 -0400:

    > Hi Dave:
    >
    > Thanks for your input. You presented documented proof that IIS 7 no longer
    > supports the
    > ASP Content Rotator and Nextlink components.
    >
    > Conclusion to all of this is that the srver.createobject(...) construct is
    > supported in IIS 7 but not the NextLink and Rotator, so whatever functions
    > they exposed are not availiable.
    >
    > If that means that IIS 7 doesn't support ASP so be it. I have the answer
    > to my question and what supports what in the world of Microsoft is a
    > relative thing

    IIS7 *does* support ASP. Nextlink is not a core component of IIS, so you
    can't use that as the basis of deciding if IIS7's ASP support is complete or
    not. Those MSWC components were some simple little objects MS knocked
    together, and originally distributed as part of the IIS Resource Kit for
    IIS4. Just because they included them with subsequent versions of IIS
    doesn't mean they're part of ASP.

    Copy the nextlink.dll from your XP machine to the Vista machine, then use
    regsvr32 to register it. If it doesn't rely on other DLLs that are missing
    in Vista, and the permissions are sufficient to allow it to be run, then
    it'll work.

    Dan

    Daniel Crichton, Jul 18, 2007