    Andrew J Durstewitz

    DEVBuilder.org, http://www.DEVBuilder.org
    ASP,ASP.NET,VB.NET,PHP,Java,and SQL Support, all in one place.

    Andrew Durstewitz, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Andrew Durstewitz

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    You can't enable web-gardens and use instrinsic ASP Sessions.

    When you enable a web-garden, you are allowing IIS to create multiple
    w3wp.exe to service that application pool. Each w3wp.exe process has it's
    own memory, threads etc. They certainly don't know about ASP sessions
    created in other processes.

    For a Classic ASP app, you'd need to roll your own session state mechanism
    that worked with some other kind of storage (outside the w3wp.exe
    processes).

    For an ASP.Net application however, it's very east to switch between the
    intrinsic session state systems (inproc, session state service, and SQL
    Server). With an ASP.Net application, you shouldn't use inproc session state
    with a web garden, but you can switch to either of the other two systems.
    With the other two systems, session state is stored externally, so no matter
    which w3wp.exe process answers the incoming request, the process can
    recreate the session state from the external session store.

    Cheers
    Ken

    "Andrew Durstewitz" <> wrote in message
    : I'm working with a Windows 2003 IIS 6.0 Server with 2 2.8Ghz HT
    : processors (4 Proc to the server because of the HT).
    :
    : My problem I that I have web garden turned on and can't get the sessions
    : to stay. I am new to IIS 6.0 so I don't know much about the whole web
    : garden thing. However, my entire site is written around ASP using
    : Sessions.
    :
    : Any ideas on how to make this run on the new server?
    :
    : Thanks,
    : Andrew J Durstewitz
    :

    Ken Schaefer, Dec 6, 2003

  3. Andrew Durstewitz

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    You can have multiple processes serving a single web application pool.

    On IIS v5, this required mulitple physical processsors, but in IIS6 it no
    longer requires that. If one process, for whatever reason, is busy, it means
    that another process is still available to service incoming requests.

    Check the IIS6 Resource Kit for more information:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...familyid=80A1B6E6-829E-49B7-8C02-333D9C148E69

    Cheers
    Ken

    "Laphan" <> wrote in message
    : Hi
    :
    : Just picked up on this and I know it will probably sound a very dum
    : question, but what pratical uses would a web garden bring to a developer?
    :
    : Thanks
    :
    : Laphan
[...]