ASP Sessions not working live

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Guy Hocking, Jan 23, 2004.

  1. Guy Hocking

    Guy Hocking Guest

    Hi there,

    I am having trouble with an ASP login that uses sessions to control access
    to certain pages. However the sessions are not being carried accross upon
    using response.redirect.
    I realise that this is the case that DNS names and IP addresses vary upon
    whether it works or not, however how can i get around using sessions live on
    the internet? and make them work>?

    Hope you guys can help

    Ta

    --
    Guy

    www.bradflack.com

    Please remove ANTI and SPAM from my
    email address before sending me an email.

    Guy Hocking, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Guy Hocking

    Ray at Guest

    Are you response.redirecting to a different domain? What does your redirect
    look like?

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Guy Hocking

    Guy Hocking Guest

    ****
    If Not RecordSet.EOF Then
    Dim struserLevel, strUName
    struserLevel = RecordSet.Fields("UserLevel")
    strUName = RecordSet.Fields("UName")
    Session("UserLevel") = cint(struserLevel)
    Session("UName") = strUName
    Response.Redirect("admin3/admin.asp")
    ****

    Not to a different domain at all, in a sub folder of the same website, But
    the redirect works, its the session that doesnt get carries accross

    Guy Hocking, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Guy Hocking

    Ray at Guest

    If you have the directory defined as its own application in IIS, the session
    info will not carry to it. That's my guess as to why session data isn't
    carrying, assuming that's what's happening.

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2157 for other causes.

    Ray at, Jan 23, 2004
  5. Guy Hocking

    Guy Hocking Guest

    mmm, it works on my local test server no problem, very strange, dont think
    its any of the things listed...

    any ideas what i can do about it?

    Guy Hocking, Jan 23, 2004
  6. Guy Hocking

    Ray at Guest

    > > If you have the directory defined as its own application in IIS, the
    > session
    > > info will not carry to it.

    Did you check that?

    Ray at, Jan 23, 2004
  7. Guy Hocking

    Guy Hocking Guest

    im not quite sure what you mean, the page is the application, outside the
    directory, and it redirects to a page inside another directory on the same
    site

    Guy Hocking, Jan 23, 2004
  8. Guy Hocking

    Ray at Guest

    Open your IIS manager on the live server.
    Go to the site in question.
    Right click on this "admin3" directory.
    Click Properties

    On the directory tab, at the bottom, is an "Application Settings" area.
    There is a textbox with a label of "Application Name" to the left. To the
    right of that textbox is a command button. That button will either say
    Create or Remove. If it says Remove, that means that admin3 is its own
    application (with its own sessions, global.asa, etc.).

    Ray at, Jan 23, 2004
  9. Guy Hocking

    Guy Hocking Guest

    i dont have access to the live IIS server, as its hosted with another
    company, but i have now put the page within the same directory as the page
    with the response.redirect, still doesnt work ;-(

    Guy Hocking, Jan 23, 2004
  10. Guy Hocking

    Ray at Guest

    > i dont have access to the live IIS server, as its hosted with another
    > company, but i have now put the page within the same directory as the page
    > with the response.redirect, still doesnt work ;-(

    Okay, we'll start over then. How do you know it doesn't work? What does
    this do:

    <%
    If Not RecordSet.EOF Then
    Dim struserLevel, strUName
    struserLevel = RecordSet.Fields("UserLevel")
    strUName = RecordSet.Fields("UName")
    Session("UserLevel") = cint(struserLevel)

    RESPONSE.WRITE STRUSERLEVEL
    RESPONSE.WRITE "<BR>"
    RESPONSE.WRITE Session("UserLevel")
    RESPONSE.END

    Session("UName") = strUName
    Response.Redirect("admin3/admin.asp")
    %>

    Ray at, Jan 23, 2004
  11. Guy Hocking

    Guy Hocking Guest

    Sorry its been so late getting back, long old weekend....

    I did what you said and it displays what i want it to fine, on the same
    page, but doesnt do the redirect (hence response.end)

    Thanks for this

    Guy Hocking, Jan 26, 2004
  12. Guy Hocking

    Guy Hocking Guest

    However with the redirect in there it doesnt work, so why isnt the session
    redirecting?

    Thanks again

    Guy Hocking, Jan 26, 2004
  13. Guy Hocking

    Ray at Guest

    This then takes us back to the original theories, one of which was that that
    directory to which you are redirecting is part of a different application in
    your IIS settings. If you do not have access to your server, ask your host
    to check if it's an application or to remove the application settings of
    that directory. If it's a virtual directory, it will be its own
    application, by default.

    Ray at home

    Ray at, Jan 26, 2004
  14. Guy Hocking

    Guy Hocking Guest

    Well it is in a directory of another site, so the root folder is infact not
    the root folder.
    So basically i need to tell the hosting company that it needs to be its own
    application (the directory in which the index.htm page exists, or the
    directory that the default.asp page exists?)

    Cheers

    --
    Guy

    Guy Hocking, Jan 26, 2004
  15. Guy Hocking

    Ray at Guest

    It's a physical directory in another site that is setup as a virtual
    directory in your first site? Chances are it is its own application then,
    as when you setup a virtual directory in IIS like this, it defaults it to
    being its own application. What you want to have them do is REMOVE the
    application settings on this virtual directory. Take a look at your own
    local server to see what I mean.

    Ray at home

    Ray at, Jan 26, 2004