ASP Sessions - site is timing out early!

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Nebulus, May 7, 2007.

  1. Nebulus

    Nebulus Guest

    We've got a website that's designed in classic ASP. While it's a good
    product, the original design was badly done, and I've inherited a
    monster.

    At some point last week, users began calling in and complaining that
    their sessions were timing out after minutes instead of the 120 minute
    session timeout that's set in the global.asa

    Now, at any given time, we have about 100 people logged into the site.
    I did perform a check, and at any given time during a session, there
    are 103 session variables per user - one.hundred.and.three.

    Obviously, this needs to be trimmed down, and I'm working on reverting
    a lot of those variables to page scope only, but we're working on a
    plant to migrate the whole beast to dotNet in the near future. Right
    now, we're trying to apply a band-aid solution.

    Has anybody else had an issue with a site timing out like this?
    Strangely enough, browsing the site with FireFox doesn't seem to
    exhibit the early timeout solution. Unfortunately, we can't force all
    the clients to use one browser and most use what's installed.

    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

    Nebulus, May 7, 2007

  2. "Nebulus" <> wrote in message
    > We've got a website that's designed in classic ASP. While it's a good
    > product, the original design was badly done, and I've inherited a
    > monster.
    >
    > At some point last week, users began calling in and complaining that
    > their sessions were timing out after minutes instead of the 120 minute
    > session timeout that's set in the global.asa
    >
    > Now, at any given time, we have about 100 people logged into the site.
    > I did perform a check, and at any given time during a session, there
    > are 103 session variables per user - one.hundred.and.three.
    >
    > Obviously, this needs to be trimmed down, and I'm working on reverting
    > a lot of those variables to page scope only, but we're working on a
    > plant to migrate the whole beast to dotNet in the near future. Right
    > now, we're trying to apply a band-aid solution.
    >
    > Has anybody else had an issue with a site timing out like this?
    > Strangely enough, browsing the site with FireFox doesn't seem to
    > exhibit the early timeout solution. Unfortunately, we can't force all
    > the clients to use one browser and most use what's installed.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

    Can you think of anything (even seemingly unrelated) that changed at 'some
    point last week'?

    Is the problem with some IE users or all IE users?
    Does it happen all the time or some of the time?
    Do you have active users using FF or was it a cursory test you made with FF?

    If this problem really does vary with browser used then it's likely to be
    cookie related, has there been a change in policy that has over tightened
    IE's use of cookies?

    More likely causes are:-

    IIS6 application pool recycling while users are active. Check the recycling
    properties of the application pool.

    The application may simply being crashing for some reasons, IIS just spins
    up another process so it may not be that obvious. Have you got anything new
    happening in the event logs?

    Anthony Jones, May 8, 2007

  3. Nebulus

    Nebulus Guest

    On May 8, 2:57 am, "Anthony Jones" <> wrote:

    > Can you think of anything (even seemingly unrelated) that changed at 'some
    > point last week'?
    >
    > Is the problem with some IE users or all IE users?
    > Does it happen all the time or some of the time?
    > Do you have active users using FF or was it a cursory test you made with FF?
    >
    > If this problem really does vary with browser used then it's likely to be
    > cookie related, has there been a change in policy that has over tightened
    > IE's use of cookies?
    >
    > More likely causes are:-
    >
    > IIS6 application pool recycling while users are active. Check the recycling
    > properties of the application pool.
    >
    > The application may simply being crashing for some reasons, IIS just spins
    > up another process so it may not be that obvious. Have you got anything new
    > happening in the event logs?- Hide quoted text -

    Anthony,
    Thanks for the tips on where to look. The site isn't using cookies,
    although I'm not sure why basic login info isn't stored as a cookie.

    As far as when the issue started, I can't say that we did any major or
    even minor tweeks to the site - we've been working on some internal
    apps.

    I've got FF and IE loaded up for testing CSS and scripting, so it was
    a natural progression to test the site on both browsers. We just
    noticed that you can let FF sit for a while before timing out, and IE
    will bump you now in the space of about 5 to 10 minutes.

    I'll definitely check the App Pool to see what's going on and check
    the event logs. Any suggestions as to what the settings for the App
    Pool need to be for optimal performance?

    In the meantime, I'm starting to carve out the session variables where
    I can, but it's hard. There are a lot of junk and test pages left on
    the site (dirty, filthy contract coders!) and a single session
    variable shows up 57 times on 47 pages... sheesh!

    Nebulus, May 8, 2007
  4. "Nebulus" <> wrote in message
    > On May 8, 2:57 am, "Anthony Jones" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Can you think of anything (even seemingly unrelated) that changed at

    'some
    > > point last week'?
    > >
    > > Is the problem with some IE users or all IE users?
    > > Does it happen all the time or some of the time?
    > > Do you have active users using FF or was it a cursory test you made with

    FF?

    > > If this problem really does vary with browser used then it's likely to

    be
    > > cookie related, has there been a change in policy that has over

    tightened
    > > IE's use of cookies?
    > >
    > > More likely causes are:-
    > >
    > > IIS6 application pool recycling while users are active. Check the

    recycling
    > > properties of the application pool.
    > >
    > > The application may simply being crashing for some reasons, IIS just

    spins
    > > up another process so it may not be that obvious. Have you got anything

    new
    > > happening in the event logs?- Hide quoted text -

    > Anthony,
    > Thanks for the tips on where to look. The site isn't using cookies,
    > although I'm not sure why basic login info isn't stored as a cookie.

    ASP uses a cookie to hold the ID of the Session object. It's possible
    therefore to configure a browser so tightly that is doesn't support even
    these session level cookies and that breaks ASP apps that use the session
    object.

    That said it doesn't sound like that is the problem.

    > As far as when the issue started, I can't say that we did any major or
    > even minor tweeks to the site - we've been working on some internal
    > apps.
    >
    > I've got FF and IE loaded up for testing CSS and scripting, so it was
    > a natural progression to test the site on both browsers. We just
    > noticed that you can let FF sit for a while before timing out, and IE
    > will bump you now in the space of about 5 to 10 minutes.

    The idea that which browser you are using has an impact on how long the
    session is held for has me baffled. I can't see how that would be
    significant.

    > I'll definitely check the App Pool to see what's going on and check
    > the event logs. Any suggestions as to what the settings for the App
    > Pool need to be for optimal performance?

    If there were a single answer to that question they'd be the defaults. The
    true answer is 'it depends' but typically for in-house stuff you want only a
    single recycle overnight.

    Anthony Jones, May 8, 2007
  5. Nebulus

    Nebulus Guest

    On May 8, 9:36 am, "Anthony Jones" <> wrote:
    > "Nebulus" <> wrote in message

    > If there were a single answer to that question they'd be the defaults. The
    > true answer is 'it depends' but typically for in-house stuff you want only a
    > single recycle overnight.

    Thanks for the help - we've got somebody checking the App Pool to see
    how well we can tweak it.

    As a quick fix to the hemorraging, I added a little AJAX to the footer
    include file that pings a singe page that returns the session ID. the
    AJAX hits the "keep alive" page every 2 minutes, and we haven't had
    any reported timeouts since implementing that code.

    Yeah, it's a quick and dirty fix, but it works while we address the
    real issues!

    Nebulus, May 8, 2007