    How can i pass the data from the browser to the server?

    thanks,
    leokporto

    LeoKPorto, Aug 30, 2006

  2. LeoKPorto wote:
    > Hi, i am having a problemn thinking on a solution to make a web application.
    > This is the scenario: I have to make an application that should catch some
    > user data on the screen and pass it to a database. Here is the problemn: the
    > data that the user will pass is huge. I am talking about some columns and 27
    > rows. 3 rows as caption rows and the other 24 to get the data. How can i do
    > that? I thought about making columns with textboxes (with ids like R1C1,
    > R2C2, R1C4...) in a dynamic table inside a form and submit it. But the boss
    > wants an excel spreadsheet look into it. I am relutant about using OWC
    > because first, i don't know if the users will have the office installed and
    > secondly because if they do have office installed, how can i know what
    > version of office is everybody using?
    >
    > Does anybody have a sugestion about how can i do that?
    > How can i make a spreadsheet interactive look like?
    > How can i pass the data from the browser to the server?
    >
    > thanks,
    > leokporto

    There are a few things you can do:
    1. Tell your boss that a browser is not an Excel spreadsheet. It is
    also not a magazine, or book, or a host of other things that bosses
    seem to think it is.
    2. You can use your original idea, but use CSS to make it look
    _similar_ to a spreadsheet. You might even use a little client side
    javascript to make it do some simple math if necessary, or if need be,
    go to the server to get data.

    If you're really good with CSS, you could have to put something on the
    page that says that it is _not_ a spreadsheet, lest useers get
    confused. I would also suggest turning off auto complete. It may
    confuse users into thinking that the input boxes are select boxes (I
    actually had a client insist that an input box was a select box and he
    wanted to be able to sort the list).

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at work
    Administrator nextBlock.com