ASP Staggered Horizontal Menus -- Reduce the width of first submenuitem for upper menu.

Jim

I have two asp menus which are oriented horizontally, one above the
other in a staggered layout. When hovering over an upper menu item, I
would like the first sub-menu item to be narrower and contain a
graphic; a connecting line. The purpose is to connect the upper menu
item, with the submenu, while giving better access to the adjacent
lower menu items. I have tried numerable code approaches to no
avail. Thank you, for any help provided; a graphic is shown below.

My page is already set to C# so we will need to use C# or javascript
for any coding.

Here is a mockup image: (http://www.latinolandscape.com/temp/menu.jpg)