ASP stops responding

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by mjkahn, Mar 27, 2005.

  1. mjkahn

    mjkahn Guest

    Everything runs fine for a while (weeks even), and then IIS stops responding
    to (or even logging) requests for ASP pages. HTML pages are served up just
    fine.

    I'm running Windows 2000 SP4, and IIS 5.0. Windows Update tells me I'm up to
    date on patches.

    The problem has happened three times on a production server and twice on a
    test server. I reproduced the problem on the test server after using the web
    stress-test tool--once right after the stress-test finished, and once after
    the sessions established by another stress-test run timed out. At least two
    of the three times on the production server, though, there hadn't been any
    real activity (new or timed-out) in several hours.

    There's nothing in the Event Log or W3SVC log. No error messages anywhere
    that I can find.

    Once the problem starts, the IIS Console may hang. This doesn't happen right
    away--once, it doesn't happen for many minutes after the problem started.

    Once the problem starts, I can't use "NET STOP" to stop the WWW Publishing
    Service. IISreset does clear the problem.

    My primary ASP application uses some custom VB 6.0 DLLs, and stores a few
    references to them in session variables. Although I know that's not advised
    (see the recent thread "Storing objects in Session Variables - exactly why
    not?"), I don't think it's the cause of the problem--memory and performance
    don't seem to be issues. Before I embark on revising several DLLs and many
    ASP pages to not store objects in session variables, I'd like to consider
    alternatives, especially since I haven't found any indication that this is
    causing the problem.

    I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you might have.

    Thanks!

    MJ.

    mjkahn, Mar 27, 2005

  2. mjkahn wrote:
    > Everything runs fine for a while (weeks even), and then IIS stops
    > responding to (or even logging) requests for ASP pages. HTML pages
    > are served up just fine.

    <snip>
    > My primary ASP application uses some custom VB 6.0 DLLs, and stores a
    > few references to them in session variables.

    You're describing one of the principle symptoms that people encounter when
    they store apartment-threaded objects in session or application. I do not
    understand why you are dismissing this as a possible cause out-of-hand.

    For other possible causes, I think I remember seeing some other
    possibilities listed in at least one of the articles at www.aspfaq.com. You
    should do a search there, as well as at www.iisfaq.com.

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Mar 27, 2005

  3. mjkahn

    mjkahn Guest

    "Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote:

    > <snip>
    > You're describing one of the principle symptoms that people encounter when
    > they store apartment-threaded objects in session or application. I do not
    > understand why you are dismissing this as a possible cause out-of-hand.

    I'm not completely rejecting the possibility, but I don't want it to
    overshadow other possibilities. If the problem could reasonably be caused by
    something else, I'd like to know about that possibility before we go to the
    time and expense of re-writing a lot of code.

    Thanks for the links--I'll definitely check them out.

    MJ.

    mjkahn, Mar 27, 2005
  4. mjkahn

    mjkahn Guest

    "Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote:

    > You're describing one of the principle symptoms that people encounter when
    > they store apartment-threaded objects in session or application. I do not
    > understand why you are dismissing this as a possible cause out-of-hand.

    Now that I think about it (some more), *why* is this a symptom that people
    encounter when storing apartment-threaded objects in session or application
    variables? I asked about storing objects in session variables in another
    thread, and I think there was a consensus that the principal concerns are
    memory and performance, but not hangs. (Yeah, I suppose a hang is the
    ultimate performance issue, but in my reading, I haven't seen references to
    hangs around this practice.)

    Is the concern that, because these objects can only run in the threads that
    created them, some kind of threading deadlock might occur? If so, could
    someone please describe that scenario? I'd really like to understand what's
    going on, both out of general curiosity and also so I can have some
    confidence that any actions I take are really addressing the underlying
    problem.

    Thanks very much,

    MJ.

    mjkahn, Mar 27, 2005
  5. mjkahn

    Mark Schupp Guest

    This might give you a clue
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dniis/html/ixcptmon.asp
    but it can be very complicated getting it set up (We had a client with
    similar problems and spend 3 months proving that it the hangs did not happen
    in our dlls. They cured the problem by rebuilding the web-server).

    That said, I would take a serious look at what it would take to get the
    objects out of the session variables. Even if you have to do a temporary
    kludge (with cookies or text files or a simple database) to maintain state
    it would be a good way to remove one of the variables.

    I don't understand the issue enough to explain it clearly but there was
    enough documentation out there about how bad an idea session-level object
    are that I did not add one the product release I am working on even though
    it would have removed the need to change about 1000 lines of code.

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Mar 28, 2005
  6. mjkahn

    mjkahn Guest

    Mark,

    Thanks for the pointer. I'm sure I'm completely overlooking something, but I
    can't find a download for the Exception Monitor. The article you referred has
    a heading that says, "Download Exception Monitor version 6.1 (still
    available)," but there's no link to download it. And I've searched
    msdn.microsoft.com/downloads for "Exception Monitor," "dbgplus.exe," and
    "ixcptmon.exe," with no luck. Can you tell me where to find it?

    Thanks!

    MJ.

    mjkahn, Mar 28, 2005
  7. Here it is:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/tools/symbols/

    You might also want to check out the tools listed on this page:

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Mar 28, 2005
  8. Here it is:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/tools/symbols/

    You might also want to check out the tools listed on this page:
    http://www.iisfaq.com/Default.aspx?tabid=2557

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET