ASP stops working after loading FrontPage material

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Matthew Ferri, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I'm a newbie to FrontPage and IIS.

    I have a simple issue that I believe may be a
    configuration setting somewhere.
    If there is a KB article, I just cannot find it.

    Details:

    I'm trying to load my simple FrontPage web material that
    includes MS Access database access into my IIS 5.0 server
    on my one Windows 2000 Professional machine.

    When I first install IIS 5.0,
    my "http://localhost/localstart.asp" file works as
    described in Knowledge Base article Q162976.

    "How to Verify That ASP Is Working on Your Web Server."

    Then I publish my existing and very simple FrontPage web
    directory into the IIS 5.0 "wwwroot" folder.

    Once that FrontPage publishing finishes successfully, I
    can no longer run the
    default "http://localhost/localstart.asp" IIS file
    anymore. That URL now hangs.

    It appears that the installation of the FrontPage material
    into the IIS 5.0 "wwwroot" folder corrupts something in
    the originally clean and working IIS 5.0 installation.

    I have been searching (... and searching) for a Knowledge
    Base article with a resolution to this issue. I have not
    been successful.

    (An interesting side note is that after publishing, the
    HTML files from my FrontPage material all work properly in
    the new IIS 5.0 web folder. It is only the original IIS
    ASP files and the FrontPage ASP files that do not work.)

    Some Background

    One machine

    MS Windows 2000 SP4
    IIS 5.0
    MS Office 2000 SP3 (FrontPage)
    Front Page Server Extensions.
    IE 6.0

    I am always the Administrator using full Administrative
    Privileges.

    Thanks In Advance,
    Matthew

    I assume the following issue is very important to this
    discussion as well.

    When I publish the FrontPage web material to the IIS
    server, I have two choices. I may publish
    to "D:\Inetpub\wwwroot" or to "http://localhost"

    When I try publishing with the "http://localhost" folder
    selection, I receive the following message and the
    publishing transaction fails from within FrontPage.

    "The server you are publishing to does not have the
    FrontPage Server Extensions installed, and therefore does
    not support publishing via HTTP. To continue publishing,
    specify a location that will work with FTP."

    (The grammar mistakes in the previous paragraph are not
    mine.)

    When I publish from FrontPage with
    the "D:\inetpub\wwwroot" folder selection, everything
    appears to publish properly.

    I believe, (probably wrongly believe) that the FrontPage
    Server Extensions are installed on my machine, because I
    can open the "Server Extensions Administrator" from the
    Administrative Tools" selection within the "Programs" menu.
    Matthew Ferri, Feb 27, 2004