    http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/, but it is not there since ASP
    is not technically a product.

    Thanks.

    Mike Miller, Jun 2, 2006

  2. > but let's not forget that Visual Basic 6.0 is a dead product - regardless
    > of
    > how many people are still using it.

    But this is all about whether to use it or not; what other definition is
    there? If I have Visual Basic 6.0 installed on my system, do I care about
    anything external to my environment if I need to whip up a simple app or
    dll? Microsoft's support lifecycle certainly isn't going to prevent me from
    doing it.

    > Anyway, can anyone point me to any official Microsoft documentation that
    > outlines the lifecycle for ASP or a good roadmap for IIS? I tried
    > http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/, but it is not there since
    > ASP
    > is not technically a product.

    I don't think you're going to find a timeline for ASP specifically. ASP is
    part of IIS, and IIS is a component of the operating system, so the
    lifecycle of a specific operating system (e.g. Windows XP) dictates the
    lifecycle of the version of ASP that shipped with it (e.g. IIS 5.1 / ASP
    3.0).

    Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP], Jun 2, 2006

  3. Mike Miller

    Mike Miller Guest

    I agree, but my point is that Microsoft doesn't necessarily take the size of
    the user base into account when they "innovate." Look at 16 bit to 32 bit,
    Visual Basic 6, the removal of While ,Wend (granted, they never actually took
    that one out), the Sun suit over modifications to the Java standard, the
    modifications to C++ syntax, non-compliance with JSR 168, etc, etc.

    Granted, this doesn't necessary have anything to do with whether they will
    remove support for ASP - it is, after all, a static code base that they just
    need to leave in there. My point is that I do not have much confidence in
    Microsoft's commitment to backward compatibility, particularly when they have
    not been as successfull as they had hoped in garnering support for .NET.

    You are absolutely right about the support lifecycle pertaining specifically
    to products - not features of products. I am just hoping to find some
    official commitment from them about whether they will either sustain or dump
    ASP. My company has miles and miles of the stuff all over our web site.

    This isn't necessarily a huge issue since I have at least two to three years
    of guaranteed, mainstream support left.

    Mike Miller, Jun 2, 2006
  4. Mike Miller

    Mike Miller Guest

    By the way, what products are you all using for ASP development? Are you
    still using Interdev or have you switched to something else?

    Thanks

    Mike Miller, Jun 2, 2006
  5. I use Visual Studio 2005.

    Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP], Jun 2, 2006
  6. Mike Miller wrote:
    > By the way, what products are you all using for ASP development? Are
    > you still using Interdev or have you switched to something else?

    Depending on which machine I'm on I either use Interdev or VS 2005
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jun 2, 2006
  7. Mike Miller

    Mike Miller Guest

    Hmm. I guess I didn't do my homework on this one - I just downloaded it at
    home a couple weeks ago and spent a few hours playing around in it. I didn't
    know you could use VS 2005 for plain old ASP.

    Do you have IDE support (auto complete, etc)? What kind of project do you
    create?

    Mike Miller, Jun 2, 2006
  8. Yes, everything works. My only beef is its insistence on popping up a
    warning that the website is not configured for .Net when you open a
    classic asp website.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jun 2, 2006
  9. I don't really use any of the frilly stuff. Basically, I just open a set of
    ASP files and use it as a text editor with benefits.

    Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP], Jun 2, 2006
  10. Mike Miller

    Mike Brind Guest

    > Mike Miller wrote:
    > > By the way, what products are you all using for ASP development? Are
    > > you still using Interdev or have you switched to something else?

    Not having done any VB, I've never really used any if the Visual*
    products. Dreamweaver 8 for me.

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, Jun 2, 2006
  11. Mike Miller

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    >Anyway, can anyone point me to any official Microsoft documentation that
    >outlines the lifecycle for ASP or a good roadmap for IIS? I tried
    >http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/, but it is not there since ASP
    >is not technically a product.

    There is no road map for ASP, or even a life cycle. Future
    development has been suspended as of version 3.0. Support for ASP is
    in Vista/Lomghorn, and the life cycle for that is at least five years,
    so the future of ASP is at least 2/3 the length of its past.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jun 6, 2006