asp tidy

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Anthony, Sep 18, 2004.

  1. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    I love the HTML Cleaner-upper Tidy... http://tidy.sourceforge.net and I use
    it ALL the time after running my .asp's... however (As you can imagine)..
    this is a longer process then I want... :

    For example :

    Run .asp save source, run tidy, examine html source determine where the
    error is (IN what line) go to my .asp and find where the html is generated
    from... fix it.. run again

    As you can tell a long process ...

    Does anyone have a way for .asp / html syntax using a tool such as tidy
    without having to do all the above steps? (Possibly look at potential HTML
    output PRIOR to generating?) Or, does anyone have a .asp parser to check
    for syntax errors? (Understand this could show completely different
    problems)..

    Thank you...

    Anthony, Sep 18, 2004

  2. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    forget it.. I should use google more :

    C:\temp>type getweb.vbs
    url="http://mywebpage.blah.com/test/mytest.asp"
    Set objHTTP = CreateObject("MSXML2.XMLHTTP")
    Call objHTTP.Open("GET", url, FALSE, "username", "mypass")
    objHTTP.Send
    wscript.echo objHTTP.ResponseText

    C:\temp>getweb | tidy -e -quiet
    line 1 column 1 - Warning: missing <!DOCTYPE> declaration
    line 240 column 78 - Warning: unescaped & or unknown entity "&protocol"
    line 244 column 77 - Warning: unescaped & or unknown entity "&protocol"
    line 248 column 77 - Warning: unescaped & or unknown entity "&protocol"
    line 252 column 79 - Warning: unescaped & or unknown entity "&protocol"
    line 256 column 79 - Warning: unescaped & or unknown entity "&protocol"
    line 21 column 1 - Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute
    line 29 column 1 - Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute
    line 51 column 1 - Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute
    line 97 column 1 - Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute
    line 143 column 1 - Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute
    line 189 column 1 - Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute
    line 235 column 1 - Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute
    line 261 column 1 - Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute

    Anthony, Sep 18, 2004

  3. Anthony

    Mark Schupp Guest

    how about this one http://validator.w3.org/

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Sep 20, 2004
  4. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    Thanks but tidy is better for me because it's an Internal website

    Anthony, Sep 20, 2004
  5. Anthony

    Patrice Guest

    IMO looking before generating is almost useless. In most cases, there is a
    whole logic in the generation that wouldn't be efficient.

    What I would like really to be able when something is enabled to have a
    class that take over the Response object. This class would save the
    genereted HTML to its own buffer and would output then both the HTML and the
    tidy diags at the end.

    I don't know tidy at all. Can it be called directly from an ASP page ? I
    would like to give it a try with ASP and/or ASP.NET...

    TIA

    Patrice

    Patrice, Sep 21, 2004