    property of the Server, I have even put in a buffer flush if the client
    isConnected. However, none of this seems to help. Any ideas and
    suggestions would be greatly helpful.

    Tyler@Thomson, Jun 14, 2005

  2. Tyler@Thomson

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    Short answer...dont do it.
    If the page takes that long to build you need to rethink what you are
    doing. I suggest a server process to generate the results, run every (n)
    min where the reult is accessed from the page. WWW isnt a good medium
    for long running processes. Otherwise, I would think maybe find a way to
    optimize the query (indexes, etc).

    Beyond that, have you tried increasing the connection timeout or the
    page timeout settings?

    --
    Curt Christianson
    site: http://www.darkfalz.com

    Curt_C [MVP], Jun 14, 2005

  3. Unfortunately, I need to do this. It is for an internal app that I'm
    developing while I'm on co-op. I've set the timeouts to be substantially
    large, and they shouldn't be causing any problems. The adminstrators on the
    server end aren't much help in letting me know why I would be getting this
    error.

    As for optimizing the query, I've begun that long and arduous task, working
    with the DBA. Unfortunately, though, a lot of it doesn't seem that it can be
    cut out or tuned. I was pretty sure that there wouldn't be much of a way
    around this aside from tuning the queries. Thanks, and if you have any more
    advice, send it my way.

    Tyler@Thomson, Jun 14, 2005
  4. Tyler@Thomson

    Mark Schupp Guest

    What is the actual error message?

    --
    --Mark Schupp

    Mark Schupp, Jun 14, 2005
  5. There is no specific error message--I'm just brought to a "Page Cannont be
    Displayed" page. I don't really know why this would be occurring, though I
    suspect it might be some sort of timeout, but again, that doesn't make any
    sense considering I have taken the proper steps to guard against that
    happening. However, if there are any other possible causes and solutions,
    then that would be greatly apprecitated. Hopefully I cleared things up a bit.

    Tyler@Thomson, Jun 15, 2005
  6. Turn off Friendly Errors so you can see the real error message:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2109

    There are two timeouts that you need to be concerned with:
    ScriptTimeout - set via the website properties in IIS Mgr or via the Server
    object in your code

    ADO's CommandTimeout property - set either on the Connection object or on
    the Command object being yused to run yor command. Do a search at
    msdn.microsoft.com/library for details

    Bob Barrows
    Tyler@Thomson wrote:
    > There is no specific error message--I'm just brought to a "Page
    > Cannont be Displayed" page. I don't really know why this would be
    > occurring, though I suspect it might be some sort of timeout, but
    > again, that doesn't make any sense considering I have taken the
    > proper steps to guard against that happening. However, if there are
    > any other possible causes and solutions, then that would be greatly
    > apprecitated. Hopefully I cleared things up a bit.
    >
    > "Mark Schupp" wrote:
    >
    >> What is the actual error message?

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jun 15, 2005
  7. I have shut off friendly errors on my machine, and I've contacted the server
    "people" (I'm not sure if they know what they're doing a lot of the time)
    because my settings still seem to show the Page cannot be displayed message.
    Also, I have set the script timeout to a very large number and the ADO
    commandtimeout property to 0, which should effectively allow me to wait
    indefinately for this thing to run. The strangest thing is that it will run
    on the development server (my machine), but it won't seem to run on the
    production server, giving me this problem. I hope that clears anything up.

    Tyler@Thomson, Jun 15, 2005