ASP Timeout?

Tyler@Thomson

I have an asp page that is producing a report via some heavy SQL queries with
dynamically chosen parameters from the users of the page. I can run it on my
development server (takes about 35 minutes to produce) , however when it is
run on the production server it will execute for about 3 minutes, then bring
me to a Page Cannot Be Displayed. I think this might be some sort of
timeout, but I have no idea as to how to stop it. I've changed the timeout
property of the Server, I have even put in a buffer flush if the client
isConnected. However, none of this seems to help. Any ideas and
suggestions would be greatly helpful.

Curt_C [MVP]

Short answer...dont do it.
If the page takes that long to build you need to rethink what you are
doing. I suggest a server process to generate the results, run every (n)
min where the reult is accessed from the page. WWW isnt a good medium
for long running processes. Otherwise, I would think maybe find a way to
optimize the query (indexes, etc).

Beyond that, have you tried increasing the connection timeout or the
page timeout settings?

Tyler@Thomson

Unfortunately, I need to do this. It is for an internal app that I'm
developing while I'm on co-op. I've set the timeouts to be substantially
large, and they shouldn't be causing any problems. The adminstrators on the
server end aren't much help in letting me know why I would be getting this
error.

As for optimizing the query, I've begun that long and arduous task, working
with the DBA. Unfortunately, though, a lot of it doesn't seem that it can be
cut out or tuned. I was pretty sure that there wouldn't be much of a way
around this aside from tuning the queries. Thanks, and if you have any more
advice, send it my way.

Tyler@Thomson

There is no specific error message--I'm just brought to a "Page Cannont be
Displayed" page. I don't really know why this would be occurring, though I
suspect it might be some sort of timeout, but again, that doesn't make any
sense considering I have taken the proper steps to guard against that
happening. However, if there are any other possible causes and solutions,
then that would be greatly apprecitated. Hopefully I cleared things up a bit.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Turn off Friendly Errors so you can see the real error message:
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2109

There are two timeouts that you need to be concerned with:
ScriptTimeout - set via the website properties in IIS Mgr or via the Server
object in your code

ADO's CommandTimeout property - set either on the Connection object or on
the Command object being yused to run yor command. Do a search at
msdn.microsoft.com/library for details

Bob Barrows

Tyler@Thomson

I have shut off friendly errors on my machine, and I've contacted the server
"people" (I'm not sure if they know what they're doing a lot of the time)
because my settings still seem to show the Page cannot be displayed message.
Also, I have set the script timeout to a very large number and the ADO
commandtimeout property to 0, which should effectively allow me to wait
indefinately for this thing to run. The strangest thing is that it will run