    Is there a utility around to help migrate a site from asp to asp.net?

    Thanks

    Regards
    John, Jun 20, 2008

  2. John

    darrel Guest

    > Is there a utility around to help migrate a site from asp to asp.net?

    Not really. They are very very different.

    -Darrel
    darrel, Jun 20, 2008

  3. There's the asp-to-aspnet migration assistant :

    http://www.asp.net/downloads/archived/migration-assistants/asp-to-aspnet/

    More info and a user guide for the migration assistant are here :
    http://www.asp.net/downloads/archived/migration-assistants/asp-to-aspnet/overview.htm

    There's a forum dedicated to migration from asp to asp.net,
    where you can talk to other programmers who are migrating asp apps to asp.net :

    http://forums.asp.net/29.aspx

    Then, there's this article with some pointers :
    http://www.dotnetguru.org/articles/us/ASP2ASPNET/ASP2ASPNET.html

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 20, 2008
  4. I doubt it. Because Classic ASP used a sort of "fill-in-the-blank"
    technique, while ASP.NET is entirely object-oriented, the only way that any
    utility really could convert them would be to take the static HTML, CSS, and
    JavaScript and place it in the *.aspx file, and then replace all the dynamic
    parts of the Classic ASP with a Literal control, and then add some code in
    the Load event that does what the code in the Classic ASP did. But even if
    there was a utility that did this, it would be ugly and inefficient code. If
    you want to convert a Classic ASP site to an ASP.NET site, I would suggest
    pretty much starting from scratch. Since there are many controls in ASP.NET
    that simplify or combine some of the steps that are done individually in
    Classic ASP, as well as generate much of the HTML, I would also suggest
    trying to avoid looking at the source code from your Classic ASP as much as
    possible. And don't forget that in some cases (not all, it depends on the
    exact scenario and design) it can be a good idea to use server controls
    instead of HTML controls just because it simplifies your code in some cases.
    Well, I guess I've said pretty much all the basics, so good luck!
    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    Nathan Sokalski, Jun 20, 2008
  5. re:
    !> Blimey! Is that still around?

    Archived...but still around. <g>

    re:
    !> I tried that a couple of times back in 2002
    !> but abandoned it because it was so useless...

    Same here, but at least, it gives you all the "Todo" blocks. <chuckle>

    The other 2 links I posted have interesting migration pointers,
    although, as you say, the migration assistant doesn't do much
    except mark the code it doesn't change with "Todo" blocks.

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 20, 2008
  6. John

    David Wier Guest

    "Todo" blocks?
    How did we get on the subject of the Wizard of Oz?

    David Wier
    http://aspnet101.com
    bloated markup

    David Wier, Jun 20, 2008