ASP to Excel

Ben Moen

I'm not sure which group is most appropriate for this
question; I'll also post this in office solutions
development. I am running into problems with something
that seems to be a popular requirement - porting data from
an asp page to an Excel workbook to allow users to
manipulate data. I have a few different methods working,
but also with some issues. I want to know if these are
technical limitations, or if there is another direction to
take such as web query...

I have successfully used the "Response.ContentType
= "application/vnd.ms-excel" in ASP to stream everything
in the page as an Excel document. However, when I use
this, simple SUM() formulas do not work in the resulting
Excel worksheet. The worksheet does not recognize results
from my dataset as true number types.

method - constructing, and manipulating a worksheet object
using ActiveX. This allows the user to play with the
resulting worksheet, however, they would be required to
change their default IE settings. This is a corporate
intranet app, and requiring our entire user base to tweak
their browser settings is going to be unreasonable.

I am trying to stay away from writing out distinct Excel
files on the server for performance, and security
concerns. As I understand it, web query will generate a
physical file to download. Can web query instead stream
content to a browser? Any other suggestions?

THANKS,

Ben