ASP to SQL Server - Intermittent connection problems

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Dan, Jun 9, 2005.

  1. Dan

    Dan Guest

    We have a fairly large set of ASP.NET applications running on Windows 2003 SP1 server. The entire suite of software was originally written in ASP and ran on a Win 2k server. For about the last year, we have been working toward converting everything to .NET and we are close to have it all done. In the mean time, we still have a few portions of the software running in classic ASP.

    Here is the problem. The ASP pages have been pretty reliable up until about two months ago. We upgraded our production servers from Win 2k to Win 2k3 (now SP1) and started getting intermittent errors when loading an ASP page.

    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'
    [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
    /2003/PageName.asp, line #.

    This generally happens on pages with larger sets of data and AFTER some of the data has loaded. All data on the page is retreived using te same connection so I do know that the connection string is ok. This happens at different points in the page and only happens once in a while. It looks like it may be dependant on the load on the servers.

    I have googled this problem and found other postings concerning this same type of behaviour, but no solutions have been posted. If anyone has an idea or has seen this same problem and seen it fixed, PLEASE let me know what you have found.

    Thanks in advance!
    Dan

    From http://developmentnow.com/g/62_0_0_0_0_0/inetserver-asp-general.htm

    Posted via DevelopmentNow.com Groups
    http://www.developmentnow.com

    Dan, Jun 9, 2005

  2. Dan wrote:
    > We have a fairly large set of ASP.NET applications running on Windows
    > 2003 SP1 server. The entire suite of software was originally written
    > in ASP and ran on a Win 2k server. For about the last year, we have
    > been working toward converting everything to .NET and we are close to
    > have it all done. In the mean time, we still have a few portions of
    > the software running in classic ASP.
    >
    > Here is the problem. The ASP pages have been pretty reliable up
    > until about two months ago. We upgraded our production servers from
    > Win 2k to Win 2k3 (now SP1) and started getting intermittent errors
    > when loading an ASP page.
    >
    > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'
    > [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or
    > access denied. /2003/PageName.asp, line #.

    Could it be this?
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=328476

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jun 9, 2005

  3. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Thanks for the fast reply. I don't believe that this is the problem
    though because we do have connection pooling enabled.

    Dan, Jun 9, 2005
  4. You can try to augment the timeout time for the connection. By default, it
    is 15 seconds but if the server is really busy...

    --
    Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
    MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC

    Sylvain Lafontaine, Jun 9, 2005
  5. Dan wrote:
    > We upgraded our production servers from Win 2k to Win 2k3
    > (now SP1) and started getting intermittent errors when
    >
    > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'
    > [DBNETLIB]...

    ^^^^^^^^

    Are you explicitly requiring TCP/IP? Make sure this is in your connection
    string (or use the client network utility to configure TCP/IP only):

    Network Library=DBMSSOCN;

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Jun 9, 2005
  6. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Dan, Jun 9, 2005
  7. Dan wrote:
    > Thanks for the fast reply. I don't believe that this is the problem
    > though because we do have connection pooling enabled.

    You DO realize that poor coding practices can disable connection pooling ...
    here is one way to inadvertantly disable pooling:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=271128

    Other ways include using connection strings instead of explicit connection
    objects when opening recordsets or using Command objects. More info here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;191572

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jun 9, 2005
  8. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Thanks for the reply Bob. I was aware of some of the information that
    you provided but not all of it. Much of the code that is still in ASP
    was written several years ago and I have learned much since then ;) so
    as we convert over to ASP.NET, our performance should increase.

    The part of this that I do not understand is, we NEVER had this problem
    until we upgraded our servers to 2k3. If the problem is related to
    pooling and running out of available connections, why did we not run
    into this on the other server. And for that matter, why not when our
    entire code base was ASP?

    I have seen many reports of people running into this same problem and it
    always goes back to "It worked before we upgraded the server".

    Thanks again to everyone...
    Dan

    Dan, Jun 9, 2005
  9. Dan wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply Bob. I was aware of some of the information that
    > you provided but not all of it. Much of the code that is still in ASP
    > was written several years ago and I have learned much since then ;) so
    > as we convert over to ASP.NET, our performance should increase.
    >
    > The part of this that I do not understand is, we NEVER had this
    > problem until we upgraded our servers to 2k3. If the problem is
    > related to pooling and running out of available connections, why did
    > we not run into this on the other server. And for that matter, why
    > not when our entire code base was ASP?

    All I can do is speculate. Sorry.

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jun 9, 2005
  10. critical wrote:
    > What was the resolution here?
    > I'm having the very same problem and have, it seems, tried all the
    > available information.

    It seems the posts to which you are replying are no longer available so I
    have no idea what problem you are having. Could it be this?
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328476

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"