ASP to SQL Server - Intermittent connection problems

Dan

We have a fairly large set of ASP.NET applications running on Windows 2003 SP1 server. The entire suite of software was originally written in ASP and ran on a Win 2k server. For about the last year, we have been working toward converting everything to .NET and we are close to have it all done. In the mean time, we still have a few portions of the software running in classic ASP.

Here is the problem. The ASP pages have been pretty reliable up until about two months ago. We upgraded our production servers from Win 2k to Win 2k3 (now SP1) and started getting intermittent errors when loading an ASP page.

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'
[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
/2003/PageName.asp, line #.

This generally happens on pages with larger sets of data and AFTER some of the data has loaded. All data on the page is retreived using te same connection so I do know that the connection string is ok. This happens at different points in the page and only happens once in a while. It looks like it may be dependant on the load on the servers.

I have googled this problem and found other postings concerning this same type of behaviour, but no solutions have been posted. If anyone has an idea or has seen this same problem and seen it fixed, PLEASE let me know what you have found.

Thanks in advance!
Dan

From http://developmentnow.com/g/62_0_0_0_0_0/inetserver-asp-general.htm

Posted via DevelopmentNow.com Groups
http://www.developmentnow.com

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Dan said:
We have a fairly large set of ASP.NET applications running on Windows
2003 SP1 server. The entire suite of software was originally written
in ASP and ran on a Win 2k server. For about the last year, we have
been working toward converting everything to .NET and we are close to
have it all done. In the mean time, we still have a few portions of
the software running in classic ASP.

Here is the problem. The ASP pages have been pretty reliable up
until about two months ago. We upgraded our production servers from
Win 2k to Win 2k3 (now SP1) and started getting intermittent errors
when loading an ASP page.

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'
[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or
access denied. /2003/PageName.asp, line #.

Could it be this?
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=328476

Dan

Thanks for the fast reply. I don't believe that this is the problem
though because we do have connection pooling enabled.

Sylvain Lafontaine

You can try to augment the timeout time for the connection. By default, it
is 15 seconds but if the server is really busy...

Dave Anderson

Dan said:
We upgraded our production servers from Win 2k to Win 2k3
(now SP1) and started getting intermittent errors when

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'
[DBNETLIB]...
^^^^^^^^

Are you explicitly requiring TCP/IP? Make sure this is in your connection
string (or use the client network utility to configure TCP/IP only):

Network Library=DBMSSOCN;

--
Dave Anderson

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Dan said:
Thanks for the fast reply. I don't believe that this is the problem
though because we do have connection pooling enabled.

You DO realize that poor coding practices can disable connection pooling ...
here is one way to inadvertantly disable pooling:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=271128

Other ways include using connection strings instead of explicit connection
objects when opening recordsets or using Command objects. More info here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;191572

Bob Barrows

Dan

Thanks for the reply Bob. I was aware of some of the information that
you provided but not all of it. Much of the code that is still in ASP
was written several years ago and I have learned much since then ;) so
as we convert over to ASP.NET, our performance should increase.

The part of this that I do not understand is, we NEVER had this problem
until we upgraded our servers to 2k3. If the problem is related to
pooling and running out of available connections, why did we not run
into this on the other server. And for that matter, why not when our
entire code base was ASP?

I have seen many reports of people running into this same problem and it
always goes back to "It worked before we upgraded the server".

Thanks again to everyone...
Dan

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Dan said:
Thanks for the reply Bob. I was aware of some of the information that
you provided but not all of it. Much of the code that is still in ASP
was written several years ago and I have learned much since then ;) so
as we convert over to ASP.NET, our performance should increase.

The part of this that I do not understand is, we NEVER had this
problem until we upgraded our servers to 2k3. If the problem is
related to pooling and running out of available connections, why did
we not run into this on the other server. And for that matter, why
not when our entire code base was ASP?

All I can do is speculate. Sorry.