ASP/VBScript engine query

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by sparky@goatmusic.org, Jun 8, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I've been working on an ASP driven website, on a client's web hosting
    space. One of the project requirements was the ability for the client
    to be able to upload files through an HTTP form. No problem - I'd done
    plenty of that sort of thing before, but, to cut a long story short, my
    usual (component-less) upload scripts generated a multitude of errors
    I'd never seen before, and a number of other component-less scripts I
    tried to use all failed in perplexing ways.

    So, after reading up a bit on probable causes, I found some advice
    suggesting that I should try and determine the version of the script
    engine running on the server, hence running this script:

    Response.Write ScriptEngine() & " " & ScriptEngineMajorVersion() & "."
    & ScriptEngineMinorVersion()

    The result?: VBScript 3.0

    Now, here's where I'm a little confused. Does that number refer to the
    vbscript engine version (which, if it does, it is WAAAY out of date!)?
    Or the ASP version (which is normal - 3.0, right?)

    I'm inclined to think that the 3.0 probably refers to the version of
    ASP, because there's no way a professional service provider would be
    running such an old release of vbscript (is there?). If I'm not
    mistaken it's up to v5.7 or something, isn't it?

    Second question: if this does imply that they're running a version of
    VBScript that, as far as I can tell, was superceded about a decade ago,
    is there any hope for scripting a component-less HTTP upload solution,
    or shall I convince the client to get the hosting moved somewhere else
    super-quick?!

    Thanks very much in advance for any help,

    - K

    , Jun 8, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > I've been working on an ASP driven website, on a client's web hosting
    > space. One of the project requirements was the ability for the client
    > to be able to upload files through an HTTP form. No problem - I'd done
    > plenty of that sort of thing before, but, to cut a long story short,
    > my usual (component-less) upload scripts generated a multitude of
    > errors I'd never seen before, and a number of other component-less
    > scripts I tried to use all failed in perplexing ways.
    >
    > So, after reading up a bit on probable causes, I found some advice
    > suggesting that I should try and determine the version of the script
    > engine running on the server, hence running this script:
    >
    > Response.Write ScriptEngine() & " " & ScriptEngineMajorVersion() & "."
    > & ScriptEngineMinorVersion()
    >
    > The result?: VBScript 3.0
    >
    > Now, here's where I'm a little confused. Does that number refer to the
    > vbscript engine version (which, if it does, it is WAAAY out of date!)?

    Yes

    > Or the ASP version

    No

    > I'm inclined to think that the 3.0 probably refers to the version of
    > ASP, because there's no way a professional service provider would be
    > running such an old release of vbscript (is there?).

    It appears so ...

    > If I'm not
    > mistaken it's up to v5.7 or something, isn't it?

    5.6

    > Second question: if this does imply that they're running a version of
    > VBScript that, as far as I can tell, was superceded about a decade
    > ago, is there any hope for scripting a component-less HTTP upload
    > solution, or shall I convince the client to get the hosting moved
    > somewhere else super-quick?!

    Why only these two options? Couldn't you request the provider to
    upgrade?

    Not having seen your code, I'm not sure what vbscript has to do with the
    uploading, but nothing beats testing this on a server that has a higher
    version installed ...

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jun 8, 2006

  3. Kamineko Guest

    Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:

    > > I'm inclined to think that the 3.0 probably refers to the version of
    > > ASP, because there's no way a professional service provider would be
    > > running such an old release of vbscript (is there?).

    > It appears so ...

    Wow, okay - thank you for confirming that.

    > > Second question: if this does imply that they're running a version of
    > > VBScript that, as far as I can tell, was superceded about a decade
    > > ago, is there any hope for scripting a component-less HTTP upload
    > > solution, or shall I convince the client to get the hosting moved
    > > somewhere else super-quick?!

    > Why only these two options? Couldn't you request the provider to
    > upgrade?

    Apologies - I forgot to mention that I did send the provider a message
    asking if it was the case that they were running VBScript 3.0, then
    could they upgrade to a more recent version. Their response was "it is
    not possible to upgrade the VBScripts to a newer version", which is
    what prompted me to post here to double-check whether I had all my
    facts straight before I went back to the client.

    This is supposed to be the provider's premium package as well, and I'm
    pretty sure it's not particularly reasonable to boast top-of-the-range
    ASP-enabled hosting solutions if they're still running off a hideously
    outdated VBScript provider.

    > Not having seen your code, I'm not sure what vbscript has to do with the
    > uploading, but nothing beats testing this on a server that has a higher
    > version installed ...

    You're right of course - and I have actually done this. These scripts
    work quite happily on another client's provider, which is running
    VBScript 5.6. However on this current client's provider, they throw up
    all kinds of errors on lines concerning classes, which I understand are
    not supported by VBScript 3.

    Thank you very much for your help.

    - K

    Kamineko, Jun 8, 2006
  4. Kamineko wrote:
    > Apologies - I forgot to mention that I did send the provider a message
    > asking if it was the case that they were running VBScript 3.0, then
    > could they upgrade to a more recent version. Their response was "it is
    > not possible to upgrade the VBScripts to a newer version",

    Did they give a reason? it's a ridiculous statement ...

    > which is
    > what prompted me to post here to double-check whether I had all my
    > facts straight before I went back to the client.
    >
    > This is supposed to be the provider's premium package as well, and I'm
    > pretty sure it's not particularly reasonable to boast top-of-the-range
    > ASP-enabled hosting solutions if they're still running off a hideously
    > outdated VBScript provider.
    >
    >> Not having seen your code, I'm not sure what vbscript has to do with
    >> the uploading, but nothing beats testing this on a server that has a
    >> higher version installed ...

    > You're right of course - and I have actually done this. These scripts
    > work quite happily on another client's provider, which is running
    > VBScript 5.6. However on this current client's provider, they throw up
    > all kinds of errors on lines concerning classes, which I understand
    > are not supported by VBScript 3.

    Ahhh! That explains it.
    That presents another option: rewrite your scripts without using classes

    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jun 8, 2006
  5. they are full of shit.. its a 2 second install and safe as could be
    change to host that knows what the hell they are doing

    Kyle Peterson, Jun 8, 2006