ASP/VBScript engine query

sparky

I've been working on an ASP driven website, on a client's web hosting
space. One of the project requirements was the ability for the client
to be able to upload files through an HTTP form. No problem - I'd done
plenty of that sort of thing before, but, to cut a long story short, my
usual (component-less) upload scripts generated a multitude of errors
I'd never seen before, and a number of other component-less scripts I
tried to use all failed in perplexing ways.

So, after reading up a bit on probable causes, I found some advice
suggesting that I should try and determine the version of the script
engine running on the server, hence running this script:

Response.Write ScriptEngine() & " " & ScriptEngineMajorVersion() & "."
& ScriptEngineMinorVersion()

The result?: VBScript 3.0

Now, here's where I'm a little confused. Does that number refer to the
vbscript engine version (which, if it does, it is WAAAY out of date!)?
Or the ASP version (which is normal - 3.0, right?)

I'm inclined to think that the 3.0 probably refers to the version of
ASP, because there's no way a professional service provider would be
running such an old release of vbscript (is there?). If I'm not
mistaken it's up to v5.7 or something, isn't it?

Second question: if this does imply that they're running a version of
VBScript that, as far as I can tell, was superceded about a decade ago,
is there any hope for scripting a component-less HTTP upload solution,
or shall I convince the client to get the hosting moved somewhere else
super-quick?!

Thanks very much in advance for any help,

- K

Bob Barrows [MVP]

[...]

Yes

Or the ASP version
No

I'm inclined to think that the 3.0 probably refers to the version of
ASP, because there's no way a professional service provider would be
running such an old release of vbscript (is there?).

It appears so ...
If I'm not
mistaken it's up to v5.7 or something, isn't it?
5.6

Second question: if this does imply that they're running a version of
VBScript that, as far as I can tell, was superceded about a decade
ago, is there any hope for scripting a component-less HTTP upload
solution, or shall I convince the client to get the hosting moved
somewhere else super-quick?!

Why only these two options? Couldn't you request the provider to
upgrade?
Not having seen your code, I'm not sure what vbscript has to do with the
uploading, but nothing beats testing this on a server that has a higher
version installed ...

Kamineko

Bob said:
It appears so ...

Wow, okay - thank you for confirming that.
Why only these two options? Couldn't you request the provider to
upgrade?

Apologies - I forgot to mention that I did send the provider a message
asking if it was the case that they were running VBScript 3.0, then
could they upgrade to a more recent version. Their response was "it is
not possible to upgrade the VBScripts to a newer version", which is
what prompted me to post here to double-check whether I had all my
facts straight before I went back to the client.

This is supposed to be the provider's premium package as well, and I'm
pretty sure it's not particularly reasonable to boast top-of-the-range
ASP-enabled hosting solutions if they're still running off a hideously
outdated VBScript provider.
Not having seen your code, I'm not sure what vbscript has to do with the
uploading, but nothing beats testing this on a server that has a higher
version installed ...

You're right of course - and I have actually done this. These scripts
work quite happily on another client's provider, which is running
VBScript 5.6. However on this current client's provider, they throw up
all kinds of errors on lines concerning classes, which I understand are
not supported by VBScript 3.

Thank you very much for your help.

- K

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Kamineko said:
Apologies - I forgot to mention that I did send the provider a message
asking if it was the case that they were running VBScript 3.0, then
could they upgrade to a more recent version. Their response was "it is
not possible to upgrade the VBScripts to a newer version",

Did they give a reason? it's a ridiculous statement ...
which is
what prompted me to post here to double-check whether I had all my
facts straight before I went back to the client.

This is supposed to be the provider's premium package as well, and I'm
pretty sure it's not particularly reasonable to boast top-of-the-range
ASP-enabled hosting solutions if they're still running off a hideously
outdated VBScript provider.

You're right of course - and I have actually done this. These scripts
work quite happily on another client's provider, which is running
VBScript 5.6. However on this current client's provider, they throw up
all kinds of errors on lines concerning classes, which I understand
are not supported by VBScript 3.
Ahhh! That explains it.
That presents another option: rewrite your scripts without using classes

Kyle Peterson

they are full of shit.. its a 2 second install and safe as could be
change to host that knows what the hell they are doing