    separate PC via a dedicated 1Gbit connection.

    Regards

    David
    David Morgan, Jun 9, 2006

  2. David Morgan

    Rob Meade Guest

    "David Morgan" wrote ...

    > Those page faults are for DLLHOST.EXE using ~370Mb RAM. inetinfo.exe has
    > 403,106,036 page faults at the time of writing and is using ~145Mb RAM.
    >
    > Why so many page faults. System uptime ~500 hours.
    >
    > The ASP-based site does interface with a SQL Server instance on a
    > completely separate PC via a dedicated 1Gbit connection.

    Hi David,

    I'm no expert on that - but I found this...

    "Computername\Process\Page Faults/sec.: Inetinfo - This counter tracks the
    number of times the server has to page pieces of inetinfo.exe to disk per
    second. You want this number as small as possible."
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q305313

    So - yes, sounds a bit excessive huh...

    Regards

    Rob
    Rob Meade, Jun 9, 2006

  3. "David Morgan" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Hi
    >
    > Have 4Gb of RAM and plenty of free disk.
    >
    > Those page faults are for DLLHOST.EXE using ~370Mb RAM. inetinfo.exe has
    > 403,106,036 page faults at the time of writing and is using ~145Mb RAM.
    >
    > Why so many page faults. System uptime ~500 hours.
    >
    > The ASP-based site does interface with a SQL Server instance on a

    completely
    > separate PC via a dedicated 1Gbit connection.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > David

    Even with large amounts of RAM available the OS will keep the number of
    pages in a process workset to a moderate figure. Use Task manger to see the
    size of the working set, also enable the column for virtual memory size.

    When a page is needed by the process (one which may be in it's allocated
    virtual memory) and not in it's working set a page fault occurs. The vast
    majority of these faults will be 'soft' faults, that is the page is actually
    in physical memory and merely needs to be marked as being in the process
    working set. The system can generate vast quantities of page faults without
    there appearing to be a problem.

    However in this case that is still 1370 faults a second. This would
    indicate that the workset is being kept too small. With that rate of
    faulting the OS ought to grow the working set to bring the faulting rate
    down. Factors that can limit the ability of the OS to do this would be the
    number of other processes running and their working set requirements.

    Anthony.
    Anthony Jones, Jun 9, 2006