ASP + XML... Newbie question...

Noozer

I'm fairly new to ASP (but not programming in general) and I've seen several
references to using XML with ASP.

Is there someplace I could see a simple example or two of how/why XML is
used withing an ASP application? I'm trying to understand the relationship
and how XML could be beneficial to me.

Thx!

Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP]

In an ASP application, I think it is more often beneficial to your users
than to you. For example, I provide an RSS feed of the articles at
www.aspfaq.com so that people can use their aggregators or other RSS
subscribers to be alerted whenever there is a new or updated article.

XML is also often used to share data between segments of an application or
service, though this is not so common in an ASP application, at least in my
experience. Part of the app may involve ASP but usually the XML segment is
between the database and other parties...

Roland Hall

in message : I'm fairly new to ASP (but not programming in general) and I've seen
:
: Is there someplace I could see a simple example or two of how/why XML is
: used withing an ASP application? I'm trying to understand the relationship
: and how XML could be beneficial to me.

I use XML DOM in ASP.
http://www.w3schools.com/dom/default.asp

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Noozer

Roland Hall said:
in message : I'm fairly new to ASP (but not programming in general) and I've seen
several
: references to using XML with ASP.
:
: Is there someplace I could see a simple example or two of how/why XML is
: used withing an ASP application? I'm trying to understand the
relationship
: and how XML could be beneficial to me.

I use XML DOM in ASP.
http://www.w3schools.com/dom/default.asp

One quick question... Is this an IE only thing? The few samples I've tried
on the w3schools site don't work in Firefox, but work fine in IE.

Thx

Roland Hall

in message :
: : > "Noozer" wrote in message : > : I'm fairly new to ASP (but not programming in general) and I've seen
: > several
: > : references to using XML with ASP.
: > :
: > : Is there someplace I could see a simple example or two of how/why XML
is
: > : used withing an ASP application? I'm trying to understand the
: > relationship
: > : and how XML could be beneficial to me.
: >
: > I use XML DOM in ASP.
: > http://www.w3schools.com/dom/default.asp
:
: One quick question... Is this an IE only thing? The few samples I've tried
: on the w3schools site don't work in Firefox, but work fine in IE.

That's because FF sucks! (O:=

No worries mate. Everything is server-side so the browser doesn't matter.