ASP / XML Reading / Error message

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Rob Meade, Oct 5, 2006.

  1. Rob Meade

    Rob Meade Guest

    Dear all,

    We recently lost our main production server to a RAID failure, as such we've
    had to rebuild a new server, we've tried to as much as possible (difficult
    without a build plan!) rebuild the new server to the same spec as the
    previous one.

    I have an ASP page however which is now erroring which it didn't before,
    whilst I've tried a little Googling, I've not found anything yet which has
    helped me, hence I turn to your goodselves...

    The error is this:

    Provider error '80040e21'
    Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status
    value, if available. No work was done.
    /portfolio/Default.asp, line 99

    And it is generated on my page, after its loaded a little bit (the html at
    the top), but then tries to load in an XML file which then generates the
    rest of the page....the code is as follows, line 99 is the
    RS.ActiveConnection line...

    <%
    Dim RS
    Set RS = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.RecordSet")

    RS.ActiveConnection = "Provider=MSDAOSP; Data
    Source=MSXML2.DSOControl.2.6;"

    RS.Open(Server.MapPath("portfolio.xml"))

    Count = 0
    %>

    There is further code after this, but its not getting that far, I can post
    it all if you need it (although the page is a bit big).

    The server is running Windows 2000 SP4, we found an article that mentioned
    about older versions of MDAC being to blame, thus this morning we installed
    2.8 Sp1, and, on the off chance, the MSXML 4 Core Services (assuming that
    perhaps the parser could also be to blame).

    If anyone has any thoughts as to what might be causing this problem I would
    love to hear from you!

    Thanks in advance for your time

    Regards

    Rob
    Rob Meade, Oct 5, 2006

  2. "Rob Meade" <> wrote in message
    > Dear all,
    >
    > We recently lost our main production server to a RAID failure, as such

    we've
    > had to rebuild a new server, we've tried to as much as possible (difficult
    > without a build plan!) rebuild the new server to the same spec as the
    > previous one.
    >
    > I have an ASP page however which is now erroring which it didn't before,
    > whilst I've tried a little Googling, I've not found anything yet which has
    > helped me, hence I turn to your goodselves...
    >
    > The error is this:
    >
    > Provider error '80040e21'
    > Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status
    > value, if available. No work was done.
    > /portfolio/Default.asp, line 99
    >
    > And it is generated on my page, after its loaded a little bit (the html at
    > the top), but then tries to load in an XML file which then generates the
    > rest of the page....the code is as follows, line 99 is the
    > RS.ActiveConnection line...
    >
    > <%
    > Dim RS
    > Set RS = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.RecordSet")
    >
    > RS.ActiveConnection = "Provider=MSDAOSP; Data
    > Source=MSXML2.DSOControl.2.6;"
    >
    > RS.Open(Server.MapPath("portfolio.xml"))
    >
    > Count = 0
    > %>
    >
    > There is further code after this, but its not getting that far, I can post
    > it all if you need it (although the page is a bit big).
    >
    > The server is running Windows 2000 SP4, we found an article that mentioned
    > about older versions of MDAC being to blame, thus this morning we

    installed
    > 2.8 Sp1, and, on the off chance, the MSXML 4 Core Services (assuming that
    > perhaps the parser could also be to blame).
    >
    > If anyone has any thoughts as to what might be causing this problem I

    would
    > love to hear from you!
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your time
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Rob

    Does the xml file view correctly in IE if opened directly?
    Try installing the latest SP of MSXML3 if you are concerned about the
    parser.
    Code looks odd to me but I'm not familiar with the MSDAOSP provider, is it
    expecting to receive the path to an XML file as recordset source?
    Anthony Jones, Oct 5, 2006