ASP / XML Reading / Error message

Rob Meade

Dear all,

We recently lost our main production server to a RAID failure, as such we've
had to rebuild a new server, we've tried to as much as possible (difficult
without a build plan!) rebuild the new server to the same spec as the
previous one.

I have an ASP page however which is now erroring which it didn't before,
whilst I've tried a little Googling, I've not found anything yet which has
helped me, hence I turn to your goodselves...

The error is this:

Provider error '80040e21'
Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status
value, if available. No work was done.
/portfolio/Default.asp, line 99

And it is generated on my page, after its loaded a little bit (the html at
the top), but then tries to load in an XML file which then generates the
rest of the page....the code is as follows, line 99 is the
RS.ActiveConnection line...

<%
Dim RS
Set RS = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.RecordSet")

RS.ActiveConnection = "Provider=MSDAOSP; Data
Source=MSXML2.DSOControl.2.6;"

RS.Open(Server.MapPath("portfolio.xml"))

Count = 0
%>

There is further code after this, but its not getting that far, I can post
it all if you need it (although the page is a bit big).

The server is running Windows 2000 SP4, we found an article that mentioned
about older versions of MDAC being to blame, thus this morning we installed
2.8 Sp1, and, on the off chance, the MSXML 4 Core Services (assuming that
perhaps the parser could also be to blame).

If anyone has any thoughts as to what might be causing this problem I would
love to hear from you!

Thanks in advance for your time

Regards

Rob

Anthony Jones

Rob Meade said:
[...]

Does the xml file view correctly in IE if opened directly?
Try installing the latest SP of MSXML3 if you are concerned about the
parser.
Code looks odd to me but I'm not familiar with the MSDAOSP provider, is it
expecting to receive the path to an XML file as recordset source?